• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylar Archives vs. Top Loaders

23 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me the pros and cons of picking up the 4 mil Mylar Archives or the comic Top Loaders? Right now I have all my books in 2 mil mylar, but I think I'd like more support and protection for my high end books (of which there are few). I'm just not sure which is the better protection.

Also, I've noticed E Gerber has the Archives with either 2 open ends or 2 flaps. What's the difference? How can a bag with two open sides hold a comic?

For ultimate protection, you could always slip your Mylar into a top loader, but they take up a lot of space and aren't cheap either.

For ultimate protection, you could always slip your Mylar into a top loader, but they take up a lot of space and aren't cheap either.

The cool thing about top loaders...is that you can stack them. Since the hard plastic rails are considerably thicker than a comic, there is absolutely no pressure applied. thumbsup2.gif

This is exactly what I wanted to do. Just wasn't sure if it would be better to slip the 2 mil mylar into another 4 mil mylar.

Are top loaders acid free?

Actually, if you stack them, don't stack them all in the same direction (ie. openings all on one side) as the opening where there is no stiff plastic tends to sag down a bit. Better to alternate them back and forth.

Are top loaders acid free?

I suspect they're not, but if you're inserting your Mylar into them, there shouldn't be a problem as the plastic of the top loaders never touch your books.

Are the bottom corners susceptible to damage as it would seem to strike against the sides of the Top Loader well under normal movement?

If you're planning to first insert your book into a Mylar sleeve, then no worries as the book doesn't really move once inside the Mylar. And if the Mylar slides inside the top loader, that shouldn't be a big deal. If you were planning on simply inserting a comic that is just bagged and boarded, then I suggest using Silver Age bags and boards for moderns (ie. bags and boards which are larger than the book itself). I don't really use my top loaders for storage purposes. I mainly use them to transport my comics during conventions. With the crowds and the chaos at most conventions, I don't have to worry about damaging any of the books when taking stuff in and out of my bag.

You can find top loaders for sale on eBay as well as conventions. I pick up the ones which are 8" wide. If your collection is golden age, then you'll need to move up to the next bigger size.

What confused.gifinsane.gif

It is just that you answered me in a way that is kind of funny, so I thought I would respond in kind. Obviously, a top loader would have something to do with loading from the top.

Having now seen a picture of a top loader, they look like something I remember being called a turtle shells.

If I may be so stupid, what are top loaders? I don't think that I have heard of these before.

Sry ..But your question was ..What are top loaders..An I said there plastic an they load from the top an this is where I got that info

web page

541025-Plastic.jpg

With their description:

This is a great comic

book topload. It is made

of sturdy clear plastic,

and measures 7-1/2 x 11

to fit most all comics.

These are sold individually

so you can get just the right

number.

541025-Plastic.jpg.c7dc6157aefb98162b0b9fc0fd426649.jpg