• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TV Comic shows and/or comic related specials and/or collecting programs

20 posts in this topic

It seems that each and every month there are more and more comic related television programs and/or shows that depict comic collecting as a hobby. I'm interested in what other collectors think of these programs, how the media portrays comic and toy collectors, etc.

The most recent program I saw was very interesting. Collection Intervention spent half the show addressing the collecting habits of a comic collector who is a completist. The show suggests that his behavior is unhealthy and the show moderator (a self proclaimed collection expert) convinces the collector to trade half of his collection (approximately 15k comics) for a raw Hulk 181 that will be relegated to a green label because it was signed outside the presence of a CGC witness. There is also a very interesting interview with a comic writer and I won't ruin the surprise for anyone who hasn't seen the episode. The following link will give you more details about the episode.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/29/collection-intervention-comic-books-video_n_1838699.html

There is also another program called Toy Hunter that I haven't had a chance to watch religiously but I've seen a couple episodes and I enjoy it. Of course almost all of us are familiar with Kevin Smith's AMC program about the comic shop that he owns, but it is more of a situational comedy and less of a reality TV program about a comic shop.

What does everyone think about these programs? Are you watching them? Are they good or bad for the hobby? What kind of program would you like to see (if any)? What sort of programs do you think we will see in the future (near and/or distant)? Thanks for sharing your opinion(s)!

If you are asking about collecting in general, involving both antiques and collectibles across the board; I can answer as both an antique dealer and someone who also deals in collectibles.

First, certain shows do get top praise among most antique dealers. Unfortunately, these shows are FEW and FAR between. The three most popular and accurate are Antiques Roadshow, American Pickers, and Auction Kings. Pawn Stars created a false image of a pawn shop were unfortunately, certain individuals believe that you can take a high end antique to a pawn shop and they will 'phone a friend.' This is entirely untrue. It is your job to know what you have.

As for how we feel about these shows, I will be honest; 90% is pure entertainment (and I can go into deal about this all day long) and 10% is knowledge.

These shows (and this applies to BOTH antiques AND collectibles) set the bar too high for the average person who has a box of toys in their attic, grandma's antique silver set (usually it is silver plated and barely worth anything at all), and even those who think comic books from 1992 ae 'old.'

Most of the 'good' stuff is drying up fast (for someone with no connections and who is not established); and for anyone to enter the business based off of these shows (who is not already established in the business) is insane. My advise to those individuals is to start reading books on antiques and collectibles that interest you (which you will have to do any way), have an OPEN mind (arguing with experts on an open forum is NOT having an open mind), and once the hype dies down a bit prepare to enter and start to 'buy your education' in the business that way.

Start small and have realistic expectations. Knowledge is everything in this business.

In conclusion, I understand that this was not entirely what you were asking, but I wanted to answer this based on a general view as hopefully the answer will help not just you; but anyone else.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

It seems that each and every month there are more and more comic related television programs and/or shows that depict comic collecting as a hobby. I'm interested in what other collectors think of these programs, how the media portrays comic and toy collectors, etc.

The most recent program I saw was very interesting. Collection Intervention spent half the show addressing the collecting habits of a comic collector who is a completist. The show suggests that his behavior is unhealthy and the show moderator (a self proclaimed collection expert) convinces the collector to trade half of his collection (approximately 15k comics) for a raw Hulk 181 that will be relegated to a green label because it was signed outside the presence of a CGC witness. There is also a very interesting interview with a comic writer and I won't ruin the surprise for anyone who hasn't seen the episode. The following link will give you more details about the episode.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/29/collection-intervention-comic-books-video_n_1838699.html

There is also another program called Toy Hunter that I haven't had a chance to watch religiously but I've seen a couple episodes and I enjoy it. Of course almost all of us are familiar with Kevin Smith's AMC program about the comic shop that he owns, but it is more of a situational comedy and less of a reality TV program about a comic shop.

What does everyone think about these programs? Are you watching them? Are they good or bad for the hobby? What kind of program would you like to see (if any)? What sort of programs do you think we will see in the future (near and/or distant)? Thanks for sharing your opinion(s)!

That was a terrible deal trading all those books for that Hulk 181. The dealer called it a 9.0. You can't tell from the screen but it did look like a sharp copy. As you say though, it was signed hence green label. The books he traded in for were all copper/moderns but they were full runs in high grade. He could have sold them as runs online and gotten a lot more to buy a better book than that signed Hulk 181.

What if the book get's signed again by a CGC witness - is there a two-tone SS label for qualified? Or if the person could hunt down the original signator and get them to sign in silver over the black marker to leave a shadowing impression - wouldn't that get a yellow label?

Personally, I don't understand the stigma against green label for pre-SS sigs or printing anomalies, but unfortunately the thing that stings the most with green label Hulk 181's is the missing marvel value stamp. A missing marvel value stamp should definitely be heavily deducted in grade and value, but a signature (especially if it's Trimpe's) shouldn't, especially if it can be authenticated by a credible third party.

Anyhow, the one trend that I've noticed is a lot of part-time dealers entering into the hobby and gobbling-up the speculation frenzy. It's kind of sad really, because these are people that are abandoning their collecting instinct and are following a hype-cycle which leads them to believe they can make some quick cash if they follow the rest of the pack.

I posted an ad yesterday, and of the dozen or so emails I got in the space of a few hours, I can't tell you how repetitive the email inquires were.

EVERYONE is looking for the exact same books, and the frustrating part is they're asking about specific issues hoping that they can buy them without doing any leg work (send me scans, lists, grades, prices, etc.) on the cheap, and with the zero skill or tact by inquiring about some of the hottest comics and offering to pay bulk prices. lol

It seems everyone is a Rick Harrison wannabe these days.

What if the book get's signed again by a CGC witness - is there a two-tone SS label for qualified? Or if the person could hunt down the original signator and get them to sign in silver over the black marker to leave a shadowing impression - wouldn't that get a yellow label?

I'm not a sig guy, the total opposite if anything but my understanding is if someone else signed it then it would get a half yellow label for the authenticated sig and then the other half in green where it would say "name written in pen" for the second sig. Kind of like the signed restored books which get half yellow half purple labels.

Getting the person who originally signed it to go over it though is against the rules and the witness wouldn't allow it or get in trouble if they did.

Anyhow, the one trend that I've noticed is a lot of part-time dealers entering into the hobby and gobbling-up the speculation frenzy. It's kind of sad really, because these are people that are abandoning their collecting instinct and are following a hype-cycle which leads them to believe they can make some quick cash if they follow the rest of the pack.

I posted an ad yesterday, and of the dozen or so emails I got in the space of a few hours, I can't tell you how repetitive the email inquires were.

EVERYONE is looking for the exact same books, and the frustrating part is they're asking about specific issues hoping that they can buy them without doing any leg work (send me scans, lists, grades, prices, etc.) on the cheap, and with the zero skill or tact by inquiring about some of the hottest comics and offering to pay bulk prices. lol

What you're describing is eerily reminiscent of the speculator frenzy which took place in the early 1990s with Image, and all the fancy Marvel and DC covers (holograms, sparkle, etc.) We know what happened there. Speculative boom suffered a MAJOR BUST and it really crippled the hobby in some ways!

Are you getting the same vibe by virtue of the emails/messages you're receiving?

BTW, are you selling on eBay? I'd be curious to see what you have that is ignited this speculative behavior. You can PM your ID. If you're not comfortable doing that, no worries. I deal in high grade "raw" Marvel Bronze Age on eBay myself.

The most recent program I saw was very interesting. Collection Intervention spent half the show addressing the collecting habits of a comic collector who is a completist. The show suggests that his behavior is unhealthy and the show moderator (a self proclaimed collection expert) convinces the collector to trade half of his collection (approximately 15k comics) for a raw Hulk 181 that will be relegated to a green label because it was signed outside the presence of a CGC witness. There is also a very interesting interview with a comic writer and I won't ruin the surprise for anyone who hasn't seen the episode.

Thanks for turning me onto this episode. I managed to download the torrent from Pirate Bay and just finished watching it. This episode was great, and I know most if not all of us can empathize with both subjects (the comic book and toy collector.) Sometimes it's so difficult to let go of these prized possessions, especially if you're doing it as a hobby/business.

I concur with the others by saying Golden Apple ripped off that guy by trading him that Hulk 181 for all those comic books (2000?)

If it had been a CGC graded Hulk 181 in 9.0 or above, then I would feel good that the guy made a fair deal. It was not. It was an ungraded "raw" book signed by Trimpe outside the pervue of CGC, so right away that knocks it down. We have no idea what Golden Apple graded that Hulk 181 BTW. We were never told.

I used to live in Los Angeles, and I would stay far waway from those vultures and jackels at Golden Apple. No way I would sell my high grade comic books to them. I have much better success on eBay.

Again, thanks for pointing me towards this show. It was fascinating!

The most recent program I saw was very interesting. Collection Intervention spent half the show addressing the collecting habits of a comic collector who is a completist. The show suggests that his behavior is unhealthy and the show moderator (a self proclaimed collection expert) convinces the collector to trade half of his collection (approximately 15k comics) for a raw Hulk 181 that will be relegated to a green label because it was signed outside the presence of a CGC witness. There is also a very interesting interview with a comic writer and I won't ruin the surprise for anyone who hasn't seen the episode.

Thanks for turning me onto this episode. I managed to download the torrent from Pirate Bay and just finished watching it. This episode was great, and I know most if not all of us can empathize with both subjects (the comic book and toy collector.) Sometimes it's so difficult to let go of these prized posssessions, especially if you're doing it as a hobby/business.

I concur with the others by saying Golden Apple ripped off that gut by trading him that Hulk 181 for all those comic books (2000?)

If it had been a CGC graded Hulk 181 in 9.0 or above, then I would feel good that the guy made a fair deal. It was not. It was an ungraded "raw" book signed by Trimpe outside the pervue of CGC, so right away that knocks it down. We have no idea what Golden Apple graded that Hulk 181 BTW. We were never told.

I used to live in Los Angeles, and I would stay far waway from those vultures and jackels at Golden Apple. No way I would sell my high grade comic books to them. I have much better success on eBay.

Again, thanks for pointing me towards this show. It was fascinating!

The dealer called it a 9.0. Now if that would be equal to a CGC 9.0, i doubt it.

I'm not a sig guy, the total opposite if anything but my understanding is if someone else signed it then it would get a half yellow label for the authenticated sig and then the other half in green where it would say "name written in pen" for the second sig. Kind of like the signed restored books which get half yellow half purple labels.

Getting the person who originally signed it to go over it though is against the rules and the witness wouldn't allow it or get in trouble if they did.

They should have similar rules for people who use sigs to cover-up colour touched books liberated from purple holders.

The dealer called it a 9.0. Now if that would be equal to a CGC 9.0, i doubt it.

Hahahahaha! Thanks, I didn't catch that on my 1st viewing. Golden Apple 9.0 most definitely is NOT a CGC 9.0!

I checked out Golden Apple on Melrose Avenue several times when I was in L.A., but soon found out they're a bunch of hyenas. No thanks! I prefer collector to collector dealing!

Personally, I don't understand the stigma against green label for pre-SS sigs or printing anomalies, but unfortunately the thing that stings the most with green label Hulk 181's is the missing marvel value stamp. A missing marvel value stamp should definitely be heavily deducted in grade and value, but a signature (especially if it's Trimpe's) shouldn't, especially if it can be authenticated by a credible third party.

+1

One thing that non -comicbook collectors are realizing is the comic book keys are rare compared to the mintage/ print runs of the coins and baseball card keys.

Heck they also make millions of copies of action figures and videogames, so yep this is just the beginning of the storm with the comic book keys.

What you're describing is eerily reminiscent of the speculator frenzy which took place in the early 1990s with Image, and all the fancy Marvel and DC covers (holograms, sparkle, etc.) We know what happened there. Speculative boom suffered a MAJOR BUST and it really crippled the hobby in some ways!

Are you getting the same vibe by virtue of the emails/messages you're receiving?

BTW, are you selling on eBay? I'd be curious to see what you have that is ignited this speculative behavior. You can PM your ID. If you're not comfortable doing that, no worries. I deal in high grade "raw" Marvel Bronze Age on eBay myself.

People can collect whatever they want, but it seems something is amiss when everyone is looking for the exact same books. I've been collecting for a long time, and even in the heyday of Wizard "buy" tips and dealers hyping comics, you still had a demarcation line between those buying back-issues and those caught-up in the foil/holo chase schemes.

The back-issue buyers now seem to only be caught up in the get rich quick cycles of the hobby with minimal holdings, and are straying away from entrenching themselves in the "collecting" aspects of the hobby.

Whether or not you agree with this market position, and whether this instilled behaviour is a by-product of stock investors migrating to "blue-chip" comics, my observational take on this is that it's a skittish tendency that's a misfit for what makes this hobby tick, and doesn't exude a level of confidence to outsiders looking in of a hobby with any staying power.

People can collect whatever they want, but it seems something is amiss when everyone is looking for the exact same books. I've been collecting for a long time, and even in the heyday of Wizard "buy" tips and dealers hyping comics, you still had a demarcation line between those buying back-issues and those caught-up in the foil/holo chase schemes.

The back-issue buyers now seem to only be caught up in the get rich quick cycles of the hobby with minimal holdings, and are straying away from entrenching themselves in the "collecting" aspects of the hobby.

Whether or not you agree with this market position, and whether this instilled behaviour is a by-product of stock investors migrating to "blue-chip" comics, my observational take on this is that it's a skittish tendency that's a misfit for what makes this hobby tick, and doesn't exude a level of confidence to outsiders looking in of a hobby with any staying power.

A++++++++++++++++++++++++! You hit a homerun!

Man, I really enjoy your thorough and succint analysis on this subject!

king-033.gif

king-033.gif

Long-time boardie's like delekkerste and joe_colletor had been banging on this drum for a long-time. I think their posts had too much predeterminism and pessimism for people's liking. I'm holding out some hope that worst case scenario's don't play out, and to be honest, at times I feel that it would do some good to just give this hobby and those slavishly abiding to the "hype" a good sound shaking.

king-033.gif

Long-time boardie's like delekkerste and joe_colletor had been banging on this drum for a long-time. I think their posts had too much predeterminism and pessimism for people's liking. I'm holding out some hope that worst case scenario's don't play out, and to be honest, at times I feel that it would do some good to just give this hobby and those slavishly abiding to the "hype" a good sound shaking.

This might be more appropriate...

129622.gif.38e8649240e87f52c7c7f5a23b03baef.gif

Is there anyone here who doesn't think we are NOT in a speculative market???

I would really like to hear your opinions and thoughts if you do. Trust me, this market has speculation written all over it. It will NOT 'crash' however, like certain individuals seem to think.

This is why you should try to cross-collect. In other words (to simplify this); 'don't put all your eggs in one basket.'

By the way, ComicWiz good post...

'mint'

As pointed out in another thread THE TRANSACTION NEVER HAPPENED. I do not know why, but the collector said it himself. It is on the show's website.

He was going to trade 2000 books ( 6 boxes) but it did not happen. Also the footnote of him reducing his collection from 120 boxes to 62 boxes via trading did not happen.

No Idea why they would flat out lie in the show, and then have it in their own website

Guess that is REALITY TV

As pointed out in another thread THE TRANSACTION NEVER HAPPENED. I do not know why, but the collector said it himself. It is on the show's website.

He was going to trade 2000 books ( 6 boxes) but it did not happen. Also the footnote of him reducing his collection from 120 boxes to 62 boxes via trading did not happen.

No Idea why they would flat out lie in the show, and then have it in their own website

Guess that is REALITY TV

Most of these shows are 'staged.' I get emails all the time from people asking me how to break into the 'storage auction' business. There is a reason I only buy 8-10 good solid units a year. Anyone doing this full time fails to realize what items are mostly found in storage units, what to look for, and how to store them. Do you really weant rodents in your garage because you have no place to store your storage auction wins?

A person cannot just watch 'Storage Wars' or 'Auction Hunters' and base their valuations (not to mention expectations) on items they encounter. A lot of their price evaluations are extremely 'pie in the sky' valuations shown to produce a 'wow' factor.

Examples of this inlcude the Atari 2600 in the box system. My last one (with games and in better condition) sold for around $50. These are nowhere near worth $250 and they are now being listed constantly on ebay (thanks to 'Auction Hunters') to the dismay of many sellers.I also have about ten more systems just sitting here waiting to be tested.

I know most of the storage unit auction buyers in my area. Average yearly income is only $20,000. You also give up health insurance and related benefits, paid vacations, 401K and profit sharing. For $20,00 (or even $30,000 a year) is it worth it? You also have to learn the business. This alone takes the average buyer losing $10,000 in cold hard cash to do.

Even the infamous guides and videos on the internet (while most being honest as to the work involved); fail to look at the whole business and what most full time buyers give up in way of opportunity costs.

'Rant Over.'

PS: Sorry about this long thread, but I also get a lot of PM's about this. Just hoping this helps answer other forum members questions as well.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I agree Mint. Yesterday a young collector came over to pick up a few silver-age comics I was selling. One of the things I always ask is what got them into collecting comics. Unfortunately, most of the 20 to 30 somethings are "getting back into comics" as a way to make supplemental income. The thing I see far too often are guys jumping ahead to profit 101 without learning the fundamentals of the hobby. If this pattern continues, we will look back at at the last thirty years and the handful of scheming and deceptive sellers with which we had to deal, and consider them the good ole' days.

I'll admit, I really enjoy watching all of these shows. Obviously, these shows are staged, just like any show...including 'Antiques Roadshow' and 'Collector Inspector'. Some just have more "staging" than others.

In regards to 'Pawn Stars'...this is not the typical pawn store, at least not any pawn store I've ever walked into. Most I go into have electronics, musical instruments, and jewelry. Now, if they mostly had pop culture items and antiques, that would be so cool. What I really find funny about this show is all the people who come in trying to sell there stuff for top dollar. Have these people ever heard of eBay or Craigslist?

In regards to the 4 or 5 storage shows out there...there is a disclaimer at the beginning of each show that essentially says, "these are some of their greatest finds". On the show w/ Allen Haff and Ton Jones, they even said, and I'm paraphrasing, over 90% of the units they get are pure junk.