• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Me Solve This Mystery Regarding My 2 Copies of Amazing Spider-Man 143

58 posts in this topic

the real story is, why you left the USA for Bangkok.. :)

Are you asking me why I left the USSA for Bangkok, Thailand? tonguebr6.gif

yea, I think it would be a great place to visit, Bangkok that is, but I'd be too scared to leave the USA without good reason. what was yours?

Scared of what exactly?

the real story is, why you left the USA for Bangkok.. :)

Are you asking me why I left the USSA for Bangkok, Thailand? tonguebr6.gif

yea, I think it would be a great place to visit, Bangkok that is, but I'd be too scared to leave the USA without good reason. what was yours?

Scared of what exactly?

I was curious as to what he meant as well.

I'd agree one has to be an error cover there is a big difference between blue and purple. hm

There is no absence or change of CMYK on any of the cover elements other than the background. If Spidey was green/yellowish, or the Cyclone was redish, maybe there would be a case for an error, but there is no sign of it.

This is starting to become an Ask Dicey thread

it seems like it's becoming an ignore comicwiz, who has the correct answer, thread

I'd agree one has to be an error cover there is a big difference between blue and purple. hm

There is no absence or change of CMYK on any of the cover elements other than the background. If Spidey was green/yellowish, or the Cyclone was redish, maybe there would be a case for an error, but there is no sign of it.

it seems like it's becoming an ignore comicwiz, who has the correct answer, thread

I think it's expanding on what Comicwiz said. It's a printing issue. The Magenta plate was putting down a higher density of ink on one side of the book for a portion of the run. You can see the change in the blue in Cyclone's costume as well. I would guess that the more blueberry/purple cover is the intended colors.

All speculation could be solved completely if a person had both issues in front of them and a loupe.

both sides of the book are affected by the magenta plate level of inking. Of course, to rely on the left/right side inking idea, we'd have to know which way they went thru the printer. And to what degree of variance the ink jets that ink up the plates were spaced back then. today they can adjust down to the inch, but only going in one direction across or down, ... but again, this would come out differently depending on how the plates/images were plated ON the press.

But that defeated your original explanation.

I'm not sure how you determined this, but for the sake of clarity, my position is that this is not an error or a variant of any sort.

I dont really remember why I thought you were contradicting yourself. I may have thought a previous post was by you... but in this post, reading quickly it seemed as if you were saying if there were other affected areas, it would be a case for an error. But, IMO an error situation would show up as ONE area that was fixed and then put back on press. As in a bad stripping job that got plated and never caught.

and when writing I had finally noticed the the whole right side is also affected, leaning to an inking issue.

most of the time we just dont have all the right info to determine what happened.

To add to this conversation, in the late eighties, when i was buying my spideys off the rack, i would sometimes see a purple and blue bacground cover in the same stack and often bought both. Im sure i have 2 or 3 of these, not that they mean anything to anyone. I now see them as variations in ink when being printed.

this is curious too, because the books would most likely be shipped and distributed together in the batches they were printed, meaning you probably wouldnt see both versiobns in the same stack at the same candy store..

unless they were hand sorted at some point from the two different batches..

make sense?

But that defeated your original explanation.

I'm not sure how you determined this, but for the sake of clarity, my position is that this is not an error or a variant of any sort.

An unintentitonal variantion in cheap printing technique maybe?

These are comics we're talking about here, especially from that era, no one was quality controlling these things to be perfectly identical to each other because it was cheap production.

I agree with you, not an error or a variant, just a variation. ;)

This is interesting. The example of the two different books slabbed up is drastically different in grades. Has anyone seen two copies with similar high grades? Does CGC even acknowledge this type of thing?

Interesting thread though... :popcorn:

if you Google Image search that particular issue, you will see higher grades, but I just couldn't find any that allowed image sharing. In other words, I don't think the 6.0 was hammered because of the purple background, but rather in relation to its condition.

He gave you the reason. He didn't write USA. He wrote USSA.

Oh, and Modok? Just an FYI, Mods tend to frown on political stuff here.

Just woke up here in BKK. It's about 7:45AM Wednesday morning.

Jeffro, you're the one insinuating what I wrote is political. Apparently, you're the one with the agenda to even think what I wrote was such. I think the Mods will frown on your poking and proding, and twisting my in innocuous tongue-in-cheek message (which BTW was an answer to a question from another poster) to suit your needs.

Perhaps you should just stick to the topic I presented? Please read the thread title. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and Modok? Just an FYI, Mods tend to frown on political stuff here.

Not political, but damn sure personal. Unless he works for the government or something.

lol! OK, I'll keep my posts on a more antiseptic level.

We'll adopt a don't ask, don't tell policy regarding personal issues, OK? Deal?

Let's stick to the thread topic. We'll all get along fine, and won't have to worry about incurring the wrath of any Mods.

scared about leaving my comfort zone and going to live in a foreign country is what I meant sorry for the confusion

Seriously?

Thats a real shame,as I'm sure you live in a great place, but there are other 'great places' just in a different way.

I have lived long periods of my life in England,Bermuda and Australia (including a tour spanning 2 years around the West of Australia with my wife and 2 very young sons - 18 months and 6 months of age).

I saw and experienced some wonderful things which are with me for life.

Australia is my home, but I have an urge to spend a year in Eastern Europe.My wife can't decide on Romania,Hungary or the Czech republic.

Hot in summer (by European standards..lol) snow in Winter and 2000 years of history.

Its tough to start but well worth it mate - even if only for 6 months!

Sorry if off topic.

Yey, verily

the difference seems to be about the same as the 70s Sandman #1 blue/purple covers and that purple is considered a variant on the label. wonder why this one isn't?

I was thinking the along the same lines. Apparently comicspriceguide.com thinks it's significant enough to value the purple one twice as much as the blue one.

sandmanblue.jpg

sandmanpurple.jpg

I did a quick MS Paint mock up of what CW is describing. The left column is the blue version, the right column is the purple version.

one.jpg