• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Me Solve This Mystery Regarding My 2 Copies of Amazing Spider-Man 143

58 posts in this topic

the difference seems to be about the same as the 70s Sandman #1 blue/purple covers and that purple is considered a variant on the label. wonder why this one isn't?

I was thinking the along the same lines. Apparently comicspriceguide.com thinks it's significant enough to value the purple one twice as much as the blue one.

sandmanblue.jpg

sandmanpurple.jpg

Thanks for sharing these images. :headbang:

and heres the right edge color comparison:

an overloaded Magenta plate turning the greens to browns

the reds are redder on the purple one. it's like the red and blue areas got an extra coat of red on the variant copy.

yeah, although, you cant get richer/deeper/inked up than 100% of any ink. where the overinking comes into play is is individual dot prints larger, and mimic the appearance of a darked tone/percentage of the ink.. 20% tones will gain another 20%, and 50% will look like 80%, or nearly solid.

yeah, although, you cant get richer/deeper/inked up than 100% of any ink. where the overinking comes into play is is individual dot prints larger, and mimic the appearance of a darked tone/percentage of the ink.. 20% tones will gain another 20%, and 50% will look like 80%, or nearly solid.

I've seen instances of cover areas using rich black, which is a "darker" black than just 100% black.

Wiki explains: A typical rich black mixture might be 100% black, 50% of each of the other three inks. Other percentages are used to achieve specific results, for example 100% black with 70% cyan, 35% magenta, and 40% yellow is used to achieve "cool" black. "Warm Black" is 35%C 60%M 60%Y and 100%K. The colored ink under the black ink makes a "richer" result: the additional inks absorb more light, resulting in a closer approximation of true black.

yes. that would be called a rich black. but in the statement of mine you quoted, it doesnt really apply here, because "black" is a color that is printed that can include combinations C, M and Y inks under it.

But, black is also one of the 4 inks, and you still can ever have 100% of the BLACK INK.

On this cover, the blue would have been specced as say 100% C + 60% (or 70%) M fora nice rich blue. If you wanted purple, you'd have specced it with equal amounts of C and M. So on this cover, the 60/70% M "gained on press and printed like a 90% M would have, and now looks purple (100%C + 90%M)

same effect on the golds and greens down the right. That was supposed to have just 30% or so Magenta, but ended up gaining another 20-30% and appears brown.

when you print just 100% black for black without adding 50% Cyan under it, you get a thin black color, which looks LESS dark/black than all the other dark colors that contain more ink coverage. (The maximum most printers will allow is 250% to 300% total (300 would be 100K + 100C +100M + 0 yellow)

when artwork is painted with more than that, separation-making software will adjust the inks on a curve to use less ink while maintaining the same "apparent" color you wanted. Photoshop can do this too.

Isn't this a pressman issue? Probably ran low on the magenta during the run, tried cranking it up, and overcompensated. If you've got too much ink on the rollers, the only way to fix it is to run them off or stop the press and clean the roller. So you'd get a longish run of too much magenta, especially if the original calibrated image doesn't have all that much magenta to begin with.

To add to this conversation, in the late eighties, when i was buying my spideys off the rack, i would sometimes see a purple and blue bacground cover in the same stack and often bought both. Im sure i have 2 or 3 of these, not that they mean anything to anyone. I now see them as variations in ink when being printed.

this is curious too, because the books would most likely be shipped and distributed together in the batches they were printed, meaning you probably wouldnt see both versiobns in the same stack at the same candy store..

unless they were hand sorted at some point from the two different batches..

make sense?

It does make sense, and I agree with your train of reasoning, and yet, there they were.

Interesting to me was that I actually recognized these at the time and picked them up intentionally, but left multiple cover finds on the racks. :facepalm

What other books have had printing variations like this though? I will take a look this weekend and would like to see what I have and what is missing.

Too much magenta. That's all. Probably early in the print run when the printer was 'running the color up'. is my guess.

This post reminds me of the little guy in Conan the Destroyer that stabs the monster after Conan has already killed it.

Too much magenta. That's all. Probably early in the print run when the printer was 'running the color up'. is my guess.

This post reminds me of the little guy in Conan the Destroyer that stabs the monster after Conan has already killed it.

lol

What other books have had printing variations like this though? I will take a look this weekend and would like to see what I have and what is missing.

A late run Spec sticks out in my mind and a Larsen Amazing. It really doesn't matter though, as not true variants. look for navy/purple background covers.