• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what do you do about returns on cheap comics

33 posts in this topic

what do you do if you order a cheap book, the seller bags and boards it and drops it in a manila envelope, and ships it to you, and it comes damaged. the total cost of the book + shipping was only 5.25.

if the seller won't refund without getting the book back, but sending it back is going to cost me almost as much as I'm going to get back what should a person do? just lose the $5.25?

i don't understand how people think a bag/board and an envelope is going to get a book past the gorillas at the post office.

i know it's only 5.25 it's less than a happy meal or whatever but why should i have to get cheated?

If the seller doesn't state in their listing how they package comics, then I always ask them how they pack, before I buy.

Seems to be working for me.

when i order larger lots of comics, like 10+ i usually ask how they ship or give them specific instructions. in this case, a single comic, i just didn't think about. i'm guessing i'm just out the money but it's still lame.

cheap books are for reading, as long as I can still read it I dont bother returning it.

I would argue that the book was in lower grade than the book you purchased and ask for a partial refund in the value.

Even if its $.50 on a $1 book its a moral victory.

what do you do if you order a cheap book, the seller bags and boards it and drops it in a manila envelope, and ships it to you, and it comes damaged. the total cost of the book + shipping was only 5.25.

if the seller won't refund without getting the book back, but sending it back is going to cost me almost as much as I'm going to get back what should a person do? just lose the $5.25?

i don't understand how people think a bag/board and an envelope is going to get a book past the gorillas at the post office.

i know it's only 5.25 it's less than a happy meal or whatever but why should i have to get cheated?

Them's the breaks with ebay. You get cheated or the seller is unprofessional - either give up ebay or accept that that's the way it is. Learn from your experience and move on....

Why don’t you contact the seller and tell him nicely what happened? He will either be reasonable and refund your dough or be a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces and insist his packaging is fine and that he’s never had a problem. On the chance he is reasonable (is this possibly a seller who doesn’t ship many comics?) he should be told that his packing has problems on the chance he will take steps to correct it in the future.

Why don’t you contact the seller and tell him nicely what happened? He will either be reasonable and refund your dough or be a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces and insist his packaging is fine and that he’s never had a problem. On the chance he is reasonable (is this possibly a seller who doesn’t ship many comics?) he should be told that his packing has problems on the chance he will take steps to correct it in the future.

Preposterous!

I've had this technique done with an expensive book.... I feel your pain brother..

I once ordered a cheap book on eBay; I think it was cover price. It came with some damage that honestly looked like it occurred prior to packaging. I sent a message just letting the dealer know my impression of the book and that I wouldn't be providing positive feedback as I payed for a NM book. He promptly replied that he'd quickly send me another copy and was apologetic. He ended up sending me two more free comics and it turned into a great experience! Oh and he also said no need to return the damage book.

Now not everyone will do that, but I'd drop the seller a line first. I was honest with him and didn't try to start a fight or anything. He was understanding.

When I was a newbie on ebay, I bought a book from a 3,000 plus feedback guy that arrived in a manila envelope, no bag, no board. Book was described as in real nice shape and photo was of a near mint book. I'd call it a very weak VG

When I complained,he said he only used stock photos and to return the book, I had to send it registered mail. This would give him proof I returned it, so he'd get his ebay fees back.

He also warned me that any negative I left would be recpricated and he could absord one into his 3,000 feedback better than I could with my 15.

I ended up keeping the book and learning a lesson.

that's what i've done obviously but his auction terms say refunds require return of item at buyers shipping expense. maybe he'll be cool about it, who knows. we'll see what the reponse is i guess. i don't hold much hope for humanity so i expect the worst but i think i've been suprised before... maybe once.

I buy variants of recent books, so I often get items where the

price plus shipping is less than $10. Sometimes I get the

wrong book (regular instead of variant or version "B" when the ad

shows "C"). Sometimes I get items claimed to be VF .. NM

that were were less than that on shipping or less than that due to

shipping.

I send an e-mail to the seller. Sometimes they say keep what

you got and send the correct item or give a full refund. Sometimes

I wind up having to treat it as a total (or near total) loss.

I treat those losses as just part of the cost of doing business.

Neutral feedback suggesting they pack books better, hammer their star rating, skip going to lunch today and move on. Having heartache over $5.25 isn't worth it.