• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why CGC is the Only Choice for 3rd Party Comic Book Grading!

151 posts in this topic

I'm sure everyone here has seen this YouTube video, but I was aghast when I saw it for the first time. I decided to upload and disseminate the original author's experience with the hopes that those who did not see it take heed and treat this as a learning experience.

This clearly shows why CGC is the ONLY choice for 3rd party comic book grading.

This video serves as a WARNING and a testament to why comic collectors must NOT use PGX as a third-party comic book grader. On Oct 1st 2008, this poor collector discovered that PGX (www.pgxcomics.com) had returned to him an encapsulated third printing in the place of the first print TMNT #1 he had submitted to their grading service.

PGX is in Eugene, OR 97402. After no resolution was effectuated through reasonable efforts, the victim contacted the Lane County district attorney's office immediately regarding this issue. They claimed that their hands were tied since the transaction of PGX's service occurred over state lines (OR to CA). They advised the victim to seek his own states district attorney. CA district attorney passed the victim back to Oregon's. A month of this, and it was clear no law enforcement was going to champion him in this matter.

After dogged persistence spanning months of numerous telephone calls, PGX finally awarded the victim $740 as compensation and full settlement on this matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there some doubts about the authenticity of this video?
It seems badly acted and there is a lot of question about his statement of sending to PGX before sending to CGC. Then there's his focus on which printing it is, before he even opens it.

Oh, and "my honey" is a favorite line, too. :)

Old thread about this video

Even older thread about this video

I think there was another thread on this about a month ago, and I think there's an even older one from around the time this surfaced. I though that the reality was more likely he sent in a 3rd printing, PGX goofed and labeled it first printing, and he corn holed them for it on the internet, and eventually got paid for it.

Also, I've seen better acting in AFN commercials....

Interesting takes, guys.

You're saying the victim wasn't a "victim" after all. This was just a con job perpetrated by the original author of the YouTube video to fleece cash out of PGX?

If that's the case, looks like I fell for his acting job. Hook, line and sinker! others-206.gif

It seems badly acted and there is a lot of question about his statement of sending to PGX before sending to CGC. Then there's his focus on which printing it is, before he even opens it.

Oh, and "my honey" is a favorite line, too. :)

Old thread about this video

Even older thread about this video

Thanks for clearing this up for me. :kidaround:

Yes this has been discussed before. Even if he was acting though, your original point is sound. It would have meant PGX labeled a 3rd printing as a 1st printing on a key expensive book. He could have sold it as it was and the new owner would have been none the wiser if he didn't open it and even if he did he would have a hard time getting his money back.

Don't sub to PGX. Don't buy PGX slabs, no matter how good it might look.

Nothing against CGC mind you... but EVENTUALLY they will have competition in the marketplace of 3rd party grading.

Coke has its Pepsi... Taco Bell has its Taco Johns... Long John Silvers has its Captain Ds.... just a matter of time and financial backing and someone will step up to the plate.

Remember... I said EVENTUALLY. :)

With any luck things like "FMV" price increases on slab rates (or the jab as I call it) and charging for graders notes will become a thing of the past.

Nothing against CGC mind you... but EVENTUALLY they will have competition in the marketplace of 3rd party grading.

Coke has its Pepsi... Taco Bell has its Taco Johns... Long John Silvers has its Captain Ds.... just a matter of time and financial backing and someone will step up to the plate.

With any luck things like "FMV" price increases on slab rates (or the jab as I call it) and charging for graders notes will become a thing of the past.

Here is the 3rd grading company lol

Hulk 181

acescsexample.jpg

I actually think that CGC's pricing is very fair. The turn around times are the problem obviously. I agree though - competition will come eventually but I'm not sure where it will come from...

To compete, someone will have to find the gap in CGC's current business model. Cheaper grading at cheaper prices isn't it.

To compete, someone will have to find the gap in CGC's current business model. Cheaper grading at cheaper prices isn't it.

+1 But faster turnaround times might be hm

I think there would be a stronger chance for a franchise ie CGC Canada, NY, CA any new owner with strong background in comics (Steve Borok) could pop up anywhere in the US with a new location and build up another facility and team of graders etc. Not to compete with Sarasota, but to divide and conquer. Yes I think I rather see that before another new grading co.

I think there would be a stronger chance for a franchise ie CGC Canada, NY, CA any new owner with strong background in comics (Steve Borok) could pop up anywhere in the US with a new location and build up another facility and team of graders etc. Not to compete with Sarasota, but to divide and conquer. Yes I think I rather see that before another new grading co.

+1

I concur with this post 100%.

Is there a reason why CGC hasn't established a branch on the west coast of the USA or in Canada? This way, CGC could divide the territory and be more effecient. Turnaround times would be drastically reduced you would think.

Uniformity of grading standards? Surely, there are competent graders to be found.

Getting investment capital to lease building space and the proper encapsulation equipment shouldn't be a problem I would think, right?

Anyone venture a guess why expansion hasn't occured yet for CGC? Perhaps this battle plan is on the horizon?

+1

I concur with this post 100%.

Is there a reason why CGC hasn't established a branch on the west coast of the USA or in Canada? This way, CGC could divide the territory and be more effecient. Turnaround times would be drastically reduced you would think.

Uniformity of grading standards? Surely, there are competent graders to be found.

Getting investment capital to lease building space and the proper encapsulation equipment shouldn't be a problem I would think, right?

Anyone venture a guess why expansion hasn't occured yet for CGC? Perhaps this battle plan is on the horizon?

It would never work. Grading between the 2 sites will never be uniform. One will be perceived to be softer than the other and everyone would send their books there then they will tignten up and people will submit to the other site and so on.

It would be much simpler to hire more people to reduce TATs. If the building in Florida is too small then they can move or expand it.

Anyone have any new info on CBGC? They were mentioned here a few months ago.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5793500&fpart=2

CBGC site: http://comicgrading.com/cgi-bin/cbgc.pl

Never heard of them. Label is ugly.

A search on live ebay auctions showed

33,974 results found for CGC

1,696 results found for PGX

0 results found for ACE

0 results found for CBGC

It would never work. Grading between the 2 sites will never be uniform. One will be perceived to be softer than the other and everyone would send their books there then they will tignten up and people will submit to the other site and so on.

It would be much simpler to hire more people to reduce TATs. If the building in Florida is too small then they can move or expand it.

Why can't the grading standards be uniform? What if they rotated the graders around? Then no branch would be considered "soft."

For example, 6 months in Florida. 6 months in California (for arguement's sake.) I realize if the CGC graders are married and have families, this would be tough. Not so much if the graders are single.

How does one become a comic book grader at CGC?

Do they have a certification program where CGC can test their graders periodically? If CGC doesn't have such a program, they should.