• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why CGC is the Only Choice for 3rd Party Comic Book Grading!

151 posts in this topic

Is it permissible to link to a the comic book grading site of a competitor for the sake of discussion? One popped up in Georgia. I went on a quest to find them today but entered the wrong address in my GPS.

DG

I'll take a guess that it's CBGC. Here is their FAQ section:

How are you able to grade comics at such a low price?

CBGC has developed a proprietary computer-assisted grading system, taking most of the "guesswork" out of grading. Our graders enter over 25 comic grading details into the system, and the system uses a grading formula to calculate the grade. We don't take the "human-aspect" out of grading, we just use our system to ensure that the grading is consistent and accurate. Our system doesn't have an ego.

I believe they use the same software as NASA. By having their graders enter data into an iPhone app, they remove the "human aspect". This reminds me of the scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, when the scientist is using the computer to find the Golden Ticket.The low price is still way too high.

Your "slab" isn't as thick as the other slabs - what gives?

Our customer designed case is designed to protect the comic, while providing a nice display for you to showcase your comic. We insert your comic in a Mylar™ bag and then it is encased in a .55 mil thick PVC shell. The Mylar™ protects the comic, while our case protects the Mylar™. Our case is also tamper-evident and tamper-proof - unlike the other slabs which can easily be cracked open, allowing someone to replace the comic with a lower grade and then re-seal the slab. You can't open our slab without damaging it beyond repair.

:lol:

So what they have is the inner shell without anything else. You can easily replace your graded book with one of their "customer designed" Mylar protectors.

Do you have to join anything to use your service?

All we do is grade comics. You don't have to join a society or do anything else to use our service and receive discounts on your submissions.

Fork you, the society is why I almost only buy my books entombed, thank you very much.

Do you buy or sell comics?

Sorry, but CBGC does not buy or sell comics, so you are receiving a true, impartial third-party grading service.

So by saying this you can infer that the other grading companies due in fact sell their own goods.

Is it permissible to link to a the comic book grading site of a competitor for the sake of discussion? One popped up in Georgia. I went on a quest to find them today but entered the wrong address in my GPS.

DG

CBGC has developed a proprietary computer-assisted grading system, taking most of the "guesswork" out of grading. Our graders enter over 25 comic grading details into the system, and the system uses a grading formula to calculate the grade. We don't take the "human-aspect" out of grading, we just use our system to ensure that the grading is consistent and accurate. Our system doesn't have an ego.

I believe they use the same software as NASA. By having their graders enter data into an iPhone app, they remove the "human aspect". This reminds me of the scene in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, when the scientist is using the computer to find the Golden Ticket.The low price is still way too high.

Our customer designed case is designed to protect the comic, while providing a nice display for you to showcase your comic. We insert your comic in a Mylar™ bag and then it is encased in a .55 mil thick PVC shell. The Mylar™ protects the comic, while our case protects the Mylar™. Our case is also tamper-evident and tamper-proof - unlike the other slabs which can easily be cracked open, allowing someone to replace the comic with a lower grade and then re-seal the slab. You can't open our slab without damaging it beyond repair.

So what they have is the inner shell without anything else. You can easily replace your graded book with one of their "customer designed" Mylar protectors.

All we do is grade comics. You don't have to join a society or do anything else to use our service and receive discounts on your submissions.

Fork you, the society is why I almost only buy my books entombed, thank you very much.

Sorry, but CBGC does not buy or sell comics, so you are receiving a true, impartial third-party grading service.

So by saying this you can infer that the other grading companies due in fact sell their own goods.

You summed it up. I'm for healthy competition, but I don't think these guys are it. That's why I tried to locate their office and see if it was a real business front for a grading service. Wrote down the address wrong so I'll have to try again. My GPS took me to a grocery store.

DG

DG

You summed it up. I'm for healthy competition, but I don't think these guys are it. That's why I tried to locate their office and see if it was a real business front for a grading service. Wrote down the address wrong so I'll have to try again. My GPS took me to a grocery store.

DG

You're going to want look for a large server farm. You can't keep a super-computer in a grocery store. Or possibly look for a huge inflow from the power grid, clearly an egoless machine requires serious amps.

I think there would be a stronger chance for a franchise ie CGC Canada, NY, CA any new owner with strong background in comics (Steve Borok) could pop up anywhere in the US with a new location and build up another facility and team of graders etc. Not to compete with Sarasota, but to divide and conquer. Yes I think I rather see that before another new grading co.

+1

I concur with this post 100%.

Is there a reason why CGC hasn't established a branch on the west coast of the USA or in Canada? This way, CGC could divide the territory and be more effecient. Turnaround times would be drastically reduced you would think.

Uniformity of grading standards? Surely, there are competent graders to be found.

Getting investment capital to lease building space and the proper encapsulation equipment shouldn't be a problem I would think, right?

Anyone venture a guess why expansion hasn't occured yet for CGC? Perhaps this battle plan is on the horizon?

Why would they? A smart man once said eliminate your competition and you can eliminate your customer service.

Why would CGC finance a huge and expensive expansion when its clients have no place else to turn to.

Divide and conquer who?

I think there would be a stronger chance for a franchise ie CGC Canada, NY, CA any new owner with strong background in comics (Steve Borok) could pop up anywhere in the US with a new location and build up another facility and team of graders etc. Not to compete with Sarasota, but to divide and conquer. Yes I think I rather see that before another new grading co.

+1

I concur with this post 100%.

Is there a reason why CGC hasn't established a branch on the west coast of the USA or in Canada? This way, CGC could divide the territory and be more effecient. Turnaround times would be drastically reduced you would think.

Uniformity of grading standards? Surely, there are competent graders to be found.

Getting investment capital to lease building space and the proper encapsulation equipment shouldn't be a problem I would think, right?

Anyone venture a guess why expansion hasn't occured yet for CGC? Perhaps this battle plan is on the horizon?

Why would they? A smart man once said eliminate your competition and you can eliminate your customer service.

Why would CGC finance a huge and expensive expansion when its clients have no place else to turn to.

Divide and conquer who?

To divide and conquer the North American back issue comics hobbyists?

Divide and conquer who?

+1

I'm afraid you speak the truth. As comic book collectors, we're at the mercy of a de facto monopoly. :(

CGC can drag their feet on expansion, and we'll still wait 4 to 6 months for basic service.

Personally, I believe this is part of their "master plan." They're driving collectors to their Express Service. Charge $95 per book and guarantee a 5 business day turnaround.

ARRRGGGGHHHH! :frustrated:

So where's mint with his long-winded responses?

'MINT' HAS DECIDED TO LEAVE THIS THREAD AS YOU ADVISED HIM TO STOP COLLECTING COMIC BOOKS! Now you have the audacity to ask where he is?

I THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS REVELATION. YOU TRULY ARE

'THE GOD OF THUNDER!'

Every question asked of me in this thread can easily be found by doing a simple 'google' search or better yet, enhancing one's knowledge base by looking at the broader view of the collecting market.

You do not need me to waste my time by attempting to get me into a time consuming argument thus taking my time from helping those individuals who seek my advice via PM. By continuing to post in this thread it would not be in my own best interest.

God of Thunder; I have nothing further to say to you.

Let me remind you of the title of this thread:

"Why CGC is the Only Choice for 3rd Party Comic Book Grading!"

'mint'

In all honesty, are people really that unhappy with the CGC service? I understand turn around time is a bit long, but we all know that going in. Yes, some people might not agree with some grades, but that is the reality of putting a number onto something.

Personally, I like the system and don't think we need another company. If one comes along great, but I'd be amazed if they could compete with CGC. CGC is just so organized and their system makes sense. Books look good in slabs.

'MINT' HAS DECIDED TO LEAVE THIS THREAD AS YOU ADVISED HIM TO STOP COLLECTING COMIC BOOKS! Now you have the audacity to ask where he is?

'THE GOD OF THUNDER!'

Every question asked of me in this thread can easily be found by doing a simple 'google' search or better yet, enhancing one's knowledge base by looking at the broader view of the collecting market.

You do not need me to waste my time by attempting to get me into a time consuming argument thus taking my time from helping those individuals who seek my advice via PM. By continuing to post in this thread it would not be in my own best interest.

'mint'

You're a bit pompous, aren't you? You can share knowledge without trying to lord it over everyone.

'THE GOD OF THUNDER!'

'mint'

You're a bit pompous, aren't you? You can share knowledge without trying to lord it over everyone.

Presenting one's opinion as fact is required on these boards.

Google it blitch. :sumo: