• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why CGC is the Only Choice for 3rd Party Comic Book Grading!

151 posts in this topic

I do not believe that the guy in the video was legitimately screwed by PGX. i initially felt bad for him. My first doubts about his story was the overacting. Then I asked myself why he would open up such a book on video. It made no sense to me unless he knew that the camera would document a discrepancy between the labeling and the contents of the slab.

With that said, we have all seen CGC make errors. Months ago, I bought a book that was labeled by CGC in error as another copy of Amazing Spider-man. With the recent activities that went on regarding a seller in the marketplace it was stated that at one point CGC encapsulated a restored book in a universal label.

While I am not going to support any other idea other than that of CGC having a more rigorous grading system, I would be hard pressed to say that PGX is inferior due to a mislabeling instance. Both companies have had similar occurrences.

People STILL COLLECT MAGIC??????????????????????????????????????????

Other then Star Wars Lego the hottest collectible on Ebay. :cloud9:

When I begin t think about what is collectible today at a store like Target, certainly Legos come to mind. I invision speculators/investors hoarding cases of each kit and even pallets of cases. Their plan is likely long term, but then I think that in 25 years when the put them back on the market and they get good money for them, then others will flood the market and they will pretty much be breaking even. I'll pass on legos thanks

Me, I personally like the modular buildings. Which reminds me, I have to pick up Town Hall before it is retired.

I view comic books as speculative and can bring evidence to prove this analysis

All collectibles, in fact all investments, are speculative.

Interesting takes, guys.

You're saying the victim wasn't a "victim" after all. This was just a con job perpetrated by the original author of the YouTube video to fleece cash out of PGX?

If that's the case, looks like I fell for his acting job. Hook, line and sinker! others-206.gif

Yes, it clearly looks like PGX was the victim here in the end and was scammed by the original submittor. (tsk)

Looks like it costed them $740 just to make the guy go away and stop bothering them. Clearly a case of how scammers can get away with almost anything nowadays, although PGX didn't help with their boner of a labelling error. doh!

I wondered if anybody has ever tried this kind of scam on CGC since they are clearly not immune from labelling errors as evident from their past history. hm

. I understand that most people here think that comic books are a top tier collectible and extremely popular, but the truth of the matter is, they do not even rank in the top ten of all items collected.

You really need to tell us what your facts are on this matter. I'm not questioning you, it would be nice to get a straight answer though.

I recently had CGC grade a copy of ASM 238 without the tattooz. The book came back saying "Tatooz inside". Eh whatever.

You could crack it open and make a video about it and then scream loud enough until CGC decides to compensate you for the "loss."

hm

My daughter collects junk of any sort. I'm sure I could come up with a Top Ten Collectables for an 8 year old since we are still waiting for this top ten that comics have no part in... :popcorn:

1) Little Pieces of Paper- they literally cover the house and are never thrown away.

2) Hair Things- They look cool on your wrist- don't they?

3) Silly bands- you just wait, there will be a demand soon!

4) Fortunes from Fortune Cookies- The ones with grammatical mistakes are really rare...or are they?

5) Yearbooks- Doesn't everyone have a yearbook still from Kindergarden?

6) Pokemon cards- its incredible how little these are still worth. I also love how you can buy a lot of 100 and the dealer includes 10 of the same card!

7) Geppi Museum tokens- for some reason she saves these...

8) Bottle caps- contemporary bottle caps are really valuable...right?

9) Bubble gum wrappers- One mans trash is another mans treasure....err....

10) Seashells- there is a huge market for little seashells from beach that our broken. Not everyone can get those...right?

She does have a good start on Simpsons comics too though...

My daughter collects junk of any sort. I'm sure I could come up with a Top Ten Collectables for an 8 year old since we are still waiting for this top ten that comics have no part in... :popcorn:

1) Little Pieces of Paper- they literally cover the house and are never thrown away.

4) Fortunes from Fortune Cookies- The ones with grammatical mistakes are really rare...or are they?

6) Pokemon cards- its incredible how little these are still worth. I also love how you can buy a lot of 100 and the dealer includes 10 of the same card!

10) Seashells- there is a huge market for little seashells from beach that our broken. Not everyone can get those...right?

animated-smileys-laughing-041.gif FUNNY!

hm any 9.8's?

I am asking in general; can the market support two major third party grading companies without causing mass confusion?

I don't mean to overlook all your other points, but this is an American-centric view/opinion.

The hobby exists outside of North America, and I would say that the European market has the most potential for growth in the next five years because of the protracted economic instability of the U.S. economy.

There are significant trade barriers, not only in the way merchandise is held-back from Euro-zones, but the cost proposition for a person living in the U.K. to submit to CGC is far more expensive than a U.S. resident.

This is the exact market condition that made it the company UK Graders (UKG) enter into the toy grading market. There is no confusion, and they're reputation is comparable to AFA's.

There are far too many reasons why this type of competitive dynamic never had a chance to happen with comic grading in North America. But this doesn't mean that someone with Nick's (Flaming_Telepath) reputation in the hobby couldn't get a UK-based grading company up and running.

There would be no chance for CGC to compete in European markets if a legitimate grading company formed in the UK or similar market.