• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Apparently Facebook membership is required to buy high dollar comics

36 posts in this topic

The intent is to string together as precise a ring of information on anyone inquiring about the book he's allegedly selling.

This kind of information cannot be attained by gmail or hotmail accounts alone, so by luring people into this trap, even if they find someone foolish enough to buy what they are selling, the rest of the names can be harvested and sold to companies who market and sell lists.

Once they have an email, full legal name and phone number, the possibilities are endless as far as how this information could be used to track down the various online footprints left by an individual.

Using the angle of "cred checking" they are also giving a false impression that everything is on the up and up.

The reality is that anything can be spoofed or faked. Online indentities require no legal checkpoint to authenticate, so sky's the limit as far as how fake, and how many ID's can be created to perpetrate wrongdoing.

Added to this is that we are arriving at the point in the evolution of online identity creation where people who want to subvert "big brother" either for kicks or malicious intent, can do so with on-demand tech that fools people into believing you're someone you're not, and/or anywhere in the world you want to be.

This is what I think to

I marked his Atlanta ad as spam. He's got a publishing venture in the works. He's posting multiple ads in multiple cities requesting facebook friends. To me that's low level undesired spam. It could be to sell the list. It could be to get people to read his ad about his publishing venture in the works. Either way, I'm not interested.

DG

I marked his Atlanta ad as spam. He's got a publishing venture in the works. He's posting multiple ads in multiple cities requesting facebook friends. To me that's low level undesired spam. It could be to sell the list. It could be to get people to read his ad about his publishing venture in the works. Either way, I'm not interested.

DG

Using FB from a marketing perspective is not new, but being deceptive/false pretenses to get the info is a no no.

I agree. I ran a messageboard to discuss comics. Nine out of ten people who signed up wanted to advertise their pet project. I'd have put up with that if they at least had some intention of joining into the conversations. They typically were too busy spamming other messageboards to waste time even looking at responses to their spam. I dedicated a section for Cerebus because the spam posts were at least interesting. Whoever posted for Dave Sim kept posting in the general comics section so I banned Dave and his emissaries.

Craigslist is for selling, not collecting Facebook friends or gathering email addresses to sell and spam people. Facebook is for making social connections, not coercing people to read your spam. This guy isn't the worst offender, but he still ads to the problem. Spam is a multibillion dollar worldwide problem. If someone thinks it's "okay" to add to that, they are either ignorant or a slimeball in my opinion.

A modestly placed link to once's Web site, RSS feed, or social networking site is tasteful if you are operating within the scope of the sites you visit. If you are manipulating the scope of the sites you are visiting, I find that distasteful.

DG

Looks fishy. I run a few websites so I visit several of the online marketing forums. Craigslist is a favorite target since it is probably the least monitored sales website with massive traffic.

It seems like every few days there is a new tactic or course someone is trying to sell about using CL to get leads, build a list, make affiliate sales, etc. I would never give any information out on CL unless I was prepared to shutdown that e-mail account, phone number, whatever, in the future. I definitely would not give out my Facebook info, who knows what they will do with it or what loophole someone has found to gain access to your information.

Facebook has so much information on users it still boggles my mind, and it is all available to marketers. Most of the information is generic so your name is not associated with it (for instance "interested in comic books"), but once you hit the "like" button you are linked to that person or company for marketing purposes in ways that are too detailed to go into here.

The comment about "big brother" was your clue he's up to something. Scamsters are always up to new and inventive ways.

Not to mention the fact that the design of Google+ is MUCH better at protecting users' private data, so a scammer would have a significantly more difficult time accomplishing what Joseph is describing, which is exactly what I agree is going on here. Facebook is the perfect way to do this because of how poor their commitment to user privacy is, and the thoughtlessness with which some people share personal data on social networking sites. It makes sense to try to avoid users who want to establish cred using Google+ instead of Facebook.

The intent is to string together as precise a ring of information on anyone inquiring about the book he's allegedly selling.

This kind of information cannot be attained by gmail or hotmail accounts alone, so by luring people into this trap, even if they find someone foolish enough to buy what they are selling, the rest of the names can be harvested and sold to companies who market and sell lists.

Once they have an email, full legal name and phone number, the possibilities are endless as far as how this information could be used to track down the various online footprints left by an individual.

Using the angle of "cred checking" they are also giving a false impression that everything is on the up and up.

The reality is that anything can be spoofed or faked. Online indentities require no legal checkpoint to authenticate, so sky's the limit as far as how fake, and how many ID's can be created to perpetrate wrongdoing.

Added to this is that we are arriving at the point in the evolution of online identity creation where people who want to subvert "big brother" either for kicks or malicious intent, can do so with on-demand tech that fools people into believing you're someone you're not, and/or anywhere in the world you want to be.

Now this is scary stuff.....where is that tin foil hat.....

I don't use Facebook much, but I found it disturbing when an app my aunt uses sent me a message as if it was her requesting that I use that app. I talked to her in person later and she told me she didn't send me anything. Facebook never deletes anything even if you click "delete". They just make it not visible.

I disagree about Google+ being better. Google+ is designed from the ground up to collect data. Google can track everything you do because of their ad program. They know exactly which sites you visit because you IP is tied to every site where a Google ad pops up. The second you log in to a Google service, they can link all your personal info to that IP address. If you sign up today, they have your phone number also with your GPS location.

DG

If you don't like my method of screening out scammers then don't deal with me. If you don't like my price then make me a reasonable counter offer. But why in the hell would you feel the need to discuss how I am selling my comic books on a message board if you are not interested? You presume that I am doing something that is mysterious when all I am doing is trying to do is make a business transaction utilizing a social network that has almost a billion members. People use FaceBook for any number of reasons. Mine is to display my comics for sale and make some friend contacts in an industry that my head hasn't been in for about 15 years. I recently had a bout with cancer and had a stroke 6 months later. I was in ICU 2 times in little over a year. My original intention was to pass my comic book collection of 8,000 issues that I have amassed over 35 years onto my children when I retire. My life has changed and now it is more important to do something cool with my kids from the sale of the collection. You may not agree with me using FB but at least allow me to sell them in peace without stirring up controversy or cyber stalking my ads. I apologize to everyone who may have been concerned about my selling methods. I am not a professional reseller and my ads reflect that I am not a pro. If I was then I would be selling like most everyone else which appears to be the real issue in question here.

Really, name calling?! When a sale is made it sets a new precidence that goes in the guide books and the bar has been raised, maybe I have that comic, maybe I am dilusional, why should you even care? Why is it ok to low ball an offer and nobody gets up in arms over it but if you set the price high rather than negotiating my emails, posts, and ads are picked apart like I did something horendous.

But why in the hell would you feel the need to discuss how I am selling my comic books on a message board if you are not interested?

Because that's what people do in forums--they discuss things they find interesting. Your method of identifying strangers via Facebook is interesting. :popcorn:

just send it to an auction house and stop with the "screening" your doing. its not screening anyone. your just telling people to look at your facebook.

It's not entirely without merit because it's not his Facebook he cares about them seeing--he wants to see theirs to feel better that they're a real human being. Can you think of a better way to verify someone's identity remotely?

I find it ironic about the google and big brother comment, but yet be required to contact through facebook.

big brother has your ip address that you spammed your craigslist ad from

now that you have shared your facebook info, that is getting scraped, parsed and sold to the highest bidder on some dark and seedy forum where members dont look out for each other unlike here.