• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will you do on 9/11

54 posts in this topic

The events of 9/11 were an attempt to disrupt what we all do each and every day, like go to work. The attempt failed. I will do what I am supposed to do today, live my life.

+1. Best thing everyone can do today is go through their normal routines of going to work, school, etc.

I dont know, i used to be able to get on a plane without waiting 45 minutes for a complete stranger to grope my man parts and look at an x-ray of my naked body (shrug)

Some people actually pay for that kind of thing...

Reflect...

"But, be that as it may, those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again, to teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life."

129909.jpg

RIP my Brother and Sister Americans, you will not be forgotten.

I remember that morning pretty clearly, the internet practically ground to a halt. Was an awful event for the people effected by it but for me there are still so many head scratching events [demolition of the 3rd tower for example] that you can't help but wonder if it was some sort of set up?

From all of us in the emergency services, thank you all for a moment of appreciation. I think all of us would do it anyway, but it is nice to be remembered on this day.

I didn't do anything special.

You are a hero to me,thank you for putting your life on the line for others. (worship)

A couple of people read what I wrote previously in this thread this afternoon and contacted me. I thought that I would add to it now that I can sit down instead of throwing down a fury of keystrokes between running around at work.

The first time I realized that NYC had changed...

Some of you know that I am an avid Yankees fan. (To those in the UK, I am a supporter of the New York Yankees Baseball Club). I usually try to attend as many games as possible each season as permitted by my schedule. 2001 was no different, I went to opening day that year attending a handful of games in the spring and summer while watching Jeter, Bernie Williams and Paul O'Neil work their way towards a possible fourth consecutive World Series Victory.

On Monday, September 10th, the Yankees were to face the Red Sox but the game was rained out. It seems like we sat there forever making friends in the Box Seats with a few Wall Street people that we never saw again. I would like to believe that they were too drunk or hung over and went to work late if at all, but that probably was not the case. They took a liking to my friends and I and kept buying cases of beer at the ballpark for themselves and everyone around them. I forget if the game started or how many innings it went into but it was eventually rained out. I do remember the Yankees announcing that there would not be a makeup date against the Red Sox and that we would be given substitute tickets to the next home game. We would realize in about twelve hours that the next home game would not take place for couple of weeks.

Baseball resumed in the Bronx on September 25th and while I would like to tell you that the stadium was at capacity, it was not. The gate probably reported that the stadium was sold due to ticket sales out but there were clearly spots in the crowd that showed the blue of the chairs rather than that of a spectator. The pregame ceremonies were what you would almost expect from the first game of a World Series match up. Giuliani was there, a few NY based celebrities and personalities were in attendance but the focus during the opening ceremonies was rightfully on the NYPD and FDNY .

What made this game different was that it was on this evening that I realized that NYC had changed forever. Now please keep in mind that this is not an attempt to show off and brag. But as I said, I go to a lot of games. I take off every year for Opening Day, I've seen my share of World Series games, pennant clinchers, playoffs and plenty of games where I sat soaking in the rain at night, in the cold, watching the Yankees behind by seven runs. The game on 9/25/11 was different. Even during the World Series, where there is an increased police presence, I never saw as many members of the NYPD as I had that evening. There were snipers along the roofing, K-9 units around the stadium, police with the type of weapons that up until that point I had only seen in movies, hazmat trucks and ordinance removal trucks visibly standing by. Backpacks and bags were no longer allowed in the stadium nor were any outside bottles or containers.

The Yankees had command over the AL East that year but the tension amongst the crowd was indescribable. Supposedly Yankee stadium became a no-fly zone, but I remember the sound of a small aircraft or helicopter that flew over the crowd. I assume today that it was an official aircraft on official business of some sort but back then, the crowd immediately hushed and looked upward probably anticipating the worst. I remember that more than the game itself.

I remember that the Yankees lost that night but clinched the division due to Boston losing their game. Any other year it would have been a joyous occasion but the somber feeling of what had transpired over the course of the last two weeks was still overwhelming. The ride home through the subways was a quick reminder of what the then current state of the nation actually was. At that point people were still posting signs and pictures hoping to find loved ones lost in the attacks and the sidewalks still had candles lit in makeshift memorials but people at that point were losing hope that their friends and relatives would be found. The subway hub at Herald Square where the NRQWBD trains all met was no different. While there was a feeling of pride in being an American and a feeling to a degree of courage in an attempt to conquer some fears by attending the first game, (my parents were not pleased that I was going) there was a hollowness in my stomach as I realized that our city, and the entire nation had irreversibly changed.

Little known fact... I have saved almost every ticket stub to every concert and ballgame I have ever attended:

B08552C4-CDB3-4C37-B7BB-11D87DDA1A94-6627-000004C57DBA828C.jpg

A couple of people read what I wrote previously in this thread this afternoon and contacted me. I thought that I would add to it now that I can sit down instead of throwing down a fury of keystrokes between running around at work.

The first time I realized that NYC had changed...

Some of you know that I am an avid Yankees fan. (To those in the UK, I am a supporter of the New York Yankees Baseball Club). I usually try to attend as many games as possible each season as permitted by my schedule. 2001 was no different, I went to opening day that year attending a handful of games in the spring and summer while watching Jeter, Bernie Williams and Paul O'Neil work their way towards a possible fourth consecutive World Series Victory.

On Monday, September 10th, the Yankees were to face the Red Sox but the game was rained out. It seems like we sat there forever making friends in the Box Seats with a few Wall Street people that we never saw again. I would like to believe that they were too drunk or hung over and went to work late if at all, but that probably was not the case. They took a liking to my friends and I and kept buying cases of beer at the ballpark for themselves and everyone around them. I forget if the game started or how many innings it went into but it was eventually rained out. I do remember the Yankees announcing that there would not be a makeup date against the Red Sox and that we would be given substitute tickets to the next home game. We would realize in about twelve hours that the next home game would not take place for couple of weeks.

Baseball resumed in the Bronx on September 25th and while I would like to tell you that the stadium was at capacity, it was not. The gate probably reported that the stadium was sold due to ticket sales out but there were clearly spots in the crowd that showed the blue of the chairs rather than that of a spectator. The pregame ceremonies were what you would almost expect from the first game of a World Series match up. Giuliani was there, a few NY based celebrities and personalities were in attendance but the focus during the opening ceremonies was rightfully on the NYPD and FDNY .

What made this game different was that it was on this evening that I realized that NYC had changed forever. Now please keep in mind that this is not an attempt to show off and brag. But as I said, I go to a lot of games. I take off every year for Opening Day, I've seen my share of World Series games, pennant clinchers, playoffs and plenty of games where I sat soaking in the rain at night, in the cold, watching the Yankees behind by seven runs. The game on 9/25/11 was different. Even during the World Series, where there is an increased police presence, I never saw as many members of the NYPD as I had that evening. There were snipers along the roofing, K-9 units around the stadium, police with the type of weapons that up until that point I had only seen in movies, hazmat trucks and ordinance removal trucks visibly standing by. Backpacks and bags were no longer allowed in the stadium nor were any outside bottles or containers.

The Yankees had command over the AL East that year but the tension amongst the crowd was indescribable. Supposedly Yankee stadium became a no-fly zone, but I remember the sound of a small aircraft or helicopter that flew over the crowd. I assume today that it was an official aircraft on official business of some sort but back then, the crowd immediately hushed and looked upward probably anticipating the worst. I remember that more than the game itself.

I remember that the Yankees lost that night but clinched the division due to Boston losing their game. Any other year it would have been a joyous occasion but the somber feeling of what had transpired over the course of the last two weeks was still overwhelming. The ride home through the subways was a quick reminder of what the then current state of the nation actually was. At that point people were still posting signs and pictures hoping to find loved ones lost in the attacks and the sidewalks still had candles lit in makeshift memorials but people at that point were losing hope that their friends and relatives would be found. The subway hub at Herald Square where the NRQWBD trains all met was no different. While there was a feeling of pride in being an American and a feeling to a degree of courage in an attempt to conquer some fears by attending the first game, (my parents were not pleased that I was going) there was a hollowness in my stomach as I realized that our city, and the entire nation had irreversibly changed.

Little known fact... I have saved almost every ticket stub to every concert and ballgame I have ever attended:

B08552C4-CDB3-4C37-B7BB-11D87DDA1A94-6627-000004C57DBA828C.jpg

This was a great read Buzetta.

Thanks

I stumbled onto the documentary about 9/11 and the 2001 World Series on HBO over the weekend that came out in 2004 ("Nine Innings from Ground Zero"). Very powerful stuff; it was tough to keep a dry eye - it gets my highest recommendation.