• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will you do on 9/11

54 posts in this topic

i didn't even realize tomorrow was 9/11 (technically today since it's after midnight on the east coast).

i remember driving in to work that morning and listening to howard stern and they were yelling and screaming about planes hitting buildings and i didn't believe it, because it was howard stern after all. flash forward to getting to the office and i couldn't open MSNBC, CNN, or any news websites to see what was going on.

i called the people i worked with to tell them to turn on the news and see if we could figure out what was up. no one came in to work that day. i left the office around 11am or so and went to my friend jason's house and woke him up and we tried to get more news but he didn't have cable TV and the internet was still not loading any news sites.

it's weird, cause the streets were empty driving to his house, even here in south florida. no one wanted to go outside i guess. he and i went to our favorite lunch spot, skyline chilli, and again it was empty there. very strange for that place because it is standing room only at noon.

the whole day was a little sureal and you could just tell by the atmosphere in the air that it affected everyone.

When it all was happening, I was just getting ready to finish work and as the next shift was coming in they were saying, you should see what is happening in the US.

Instead of going home we just sat around the TV in the office in disbelief at what was happening.

:(

The mind boggling thing is I was listening to the radio news getting ready for work. They mentioned the first tower hit so iI went to watch the and have breakfast. As I watched tv I saw second plane hit. Scary thing

I had just lost my job, the week before, and a friend had called me up and told me to turn on the news. It was early in the morning here, so, I told him what he could do to himself for waking me up. After a few minutes I turned on the tv and just looked. I remember being able to see them from my Junior High School in Bayside, Queens. Couldn't believe that they actually came down that day.

It was truly a surreal and emotional day. Mine also started with Stern, and within a short time went from hilarity to confusion to wondering just what was coming next. I didn't go to work, but went out in the afternoon and recall how empty the streets seemed, and how quiet everybody was. I was nowhere near New York, but I didn't feel particularly isolated or safe either. It was a scary few days waiting for answers as to what happened, and learning who was affected directly.

I like Oakmans idea of letting others know they are appreciated. We should remember to do that occasionally for the people in our lives.

Due to the time difference, it is already Tuesday the 11th here in Bangkok.

What will I do today as an American expatriate living here in Thailand?

I will say a prayer for the families of victims who perished in this historic tragedy, and do my best to supress the anger I have regarding the "official version" of this modern day Pearl Harbor. s0623.gif

I was on KP duty in basic training the day it happened. A Truck driver dropping off the produce told us what had happened. Of course none if us believed him and thought it was a training exercise of some sorts.

24 hours later people with family in NYC where allowed to call home and check on loved ones but we were not told why.

48 hours later our Drill Sgts told us what actually happened and we watched the footage on a projector in the classroom.

As for what I'll be doing today, I'll be spending the day with dpfriends and family since September 11th is also my birthday.

I'm going to start off with taking the dogs for a walk, box up and ship some books off (sold my Fight Comics #22 CGC 9.4 Church copy last night), then have a couple of beers at the bar that's next to the post office, grill the Beef Ribs I bought yesterday with Jalapano peppers doused in olive oil and sprinkled with salt and then I'll proceed to get drunk and finish my Marketing paper that's due on Wednesday.