• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally, GA Superman fans will have something to crow about!

12 posts in this topic

51wnqJHr4rL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[font:Comic Sans MS]Just noticed this announcement for an Oct. 30th HD release of Max Fleischer's classic Superman cartoons! (thumbs u

Yeah, I know these have been out on DVD in other official sets for years and before that booted for decades, but this is the treatment they've always deserved, or at least it's the promise of such. Hey, this is a reboot I can live with! :grin:

Here's the fine print from Amazon...[/font]

This collection of fully restored, 1930s animated shorts from the legendary Max Fleischer are a real treat. For anyone who has grown up associating the Superman character with different phases of art direction in Superman comic books over the last 50 years, or best remembers the look of the Christopher Reeve films or the old television show, these 'toons will be a mini-revelation. Expanding on cues from the first generation of Superman comics, Fleischer immerses the man from Krypton in a marvelous blend of art deco, William Cameron Menzies-inspired sets, and edgy compositions that can't help but remind one of Fritz Lang-ian paranoia. Everything is oversized, blocky but rounded, ferociously modernist, and all too vulnerable. Superman's very function as a character in these highly dramatic and richly colored fables is both defending the overbearing, urban progressiveness and capital excesses of a young 20th century while also reassuring us that progress is not as indomitable as a man--at least a Superman. The DVD includes a bonus Fleischer short, "Play Safe," plus information about the restoration process, three choices of sound, complete history, synopsis, and credits. --Tom Keogh

Product Description:

For the first time ever, this two-disc set presents the original Max Fleischer Superman cartoons in pristine high-definition format. Revered as some of the finest animated cartoons produced during The Golden Age of American animation, Max Fleischers SUPERMAN Collectors Edition is the focal point of any collectors library, chronicling the introduction of the worlds favorite superhero. Heroes may come and go, but the timelessness of the Superman legacy has remained invincible, entertaining generations of the past, present and future.

[font:Comic Sans MS]I would've posted this over in General, but news of this nature seems more of interest to GA geeks like us.[/font] :headbang:

51wnqJHr4rL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[font:Comic Sans MS]Just noticed this announcement for an Oct. 30th HD release of Max Fleischer's classic Superman cartoons! (thumbs u

Yeah, I know these have been out on DVD in other official sets for years and before that booted for decades, but this is the treatment they've always deserved, or at least it's the promise of such. Hey, this is a reboot I can live with! :grin:

Here's the fine print from Amazon...[/font]

This collection of fully restored, 1930s animated shorts from the legendary Max Fleischer are a real treat. For anyone who has grown up associating the Superman character with different phases of art direction in Superman comic books over the last 50 years, or best remembers the look of the Christopher Reeve films or the old television show, these 'toons will be a mini-revelation. Expanding on cues from the first generation of Superman comics, Fleischer immerses the man from Krypton in a marvelous blend of art deco, William Cameron Menzies-inspired sets, and edgy compositions that can't help but remind one of Fritz Lang-ian paranoia. Everything is oversized, blocky but rounded, ferociously modernist, and all too vulnerable. Superman's very function as a character in these highly dramatic and richly colored fables is both defending the overbearing, urban progressiveness and capital excesses of a young 20th century while also reassuring us that progress is not as indomitable as a man--at least a Superman. The DVD includes a bonus Fleischer short, "Play Safe," plus information about the restoration process, three choices of sound, complete history, synopsis, and credits. --Tom Keogh

Product Description:

For the first time ever, this two-disc set presents the original Max Fleischer Superman cartoons in pristine high-definition format. Revered as some of the finest animated cartoons produced during The Golden Age of American animation, Max Fleischers SUPERMAN Collectors Edition is the focal point of any collectors library, chronicling the introduction of the worlds favorite superhero. Heroes may come and go, but the timelessness of the Superman legacy has remained invincible, entertaining generations of the past, present and future.

[font:Comic Sans MS]I would've posted this over in General, but news of this nature seems more of interest to GA geeks like us.[/font] :headbang:

This will be make a nice holiday present for myself to watch over the holidays. (thumbs u

I haven't looked at all the specs, but I'm left with a question. Given the fact that these have already been done on DVD, it's not clear what resolution these are at. Further, I think you almost have to wait to see: 1) if they are censored or 2) how good the transfer/restoration is since these are public domain. Here's hoping I can replace my pretty crappy DVD.

I think there's three versions of these cartoons on Netflix.

[font:Verdana]That's not surprising. hm These Fleischer cartoons have been in public domain for many years. By versions I think you're referring to releases mastered from several sources of varying quality. This has always been the problem. Fans have never had a proper release of these cartoons in high resolution mastered from the original Paramount Studios maintained negatives.

I seem to recall that for awhile the best fan released DVD version was from Bosco. Unless I'm mistaken, that version was originally booted from 16mm prints mastered from collector's privately owned negatives. Eventually this version was released legitimately by Fox Lorber after the cartoons fell into public domain territory.

Since Paramount owns the original Fleischer negatives, the studio finally gave the go-ahead to remaster the 35mm film elements for a low rez bonus DVD inclusion in the mega-bucks Blu-ray Superman box set of the Richard Donner films. Most recently these cartoons were reissued again in a stand-alone DVD edition.

Did I leave any version out? (probably) (shrug)

When it comes to stuff like this I'm very much old school. I only use Netflix to watch films that I only care to see once. Where classic animation and films are concerned I want to own copies of the highest resolution versions in much the same way that I collect high grade comics. I guess I'm just anal that way.

BTW, I hope folks aren't finding my experiments with different fonts too distracting or annoying. [/font] :foryou:

I haven't looked at all the specs, but I'm left with a question. Given the fact that these have already been done on DVD, it's not clear what resolution these are at. Further, I think you almost have to wait to see: 1) if they are censored or 2) how good the transfer/restoration is since these are public domain. Here's hoping I can replace my pretty crappy DVD.

[font:Verdana]Good points. The press release seems to indicate that all the cartoons have been remastered from the Paramount Studio negatives, but it's hard to say until these are reviewed. I was assuming no censorship; that would certainly dampen my enthusiasm![/font] :frustrated:

PS: The official info indicates that the studio releasing this set on Blu-ray is ABC Family - Gaiam

Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Fleischers-Superman-Collectors-Edition/dp/B008IG0EHM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2695MSMCYZB5L&coliid=I21SULRGG5Y5E6

The quality of the animation is fantastic, very Disney like. Can't wait to grab me a copy.

[font:Times New Roman]Now that I've read a few more opinions on the public domain status of these famous cartoons on several other sites I'm going to hold off on recommending this until I read a pre-release review or three. While ABC Family - Gaiam should be a trustworthy source, I've read nothing that indicates Warner Home Video is involved with the project, and they're the official rights-holders of the 35mm Paramount negatives from which the earlier series was combined with the Superman films package. Unless Warner Home Video farmed these out or negotiated with an interested 3rd party (i.e., ABC Family) the Blu-ray release may be derived from the same 16mm source material in public domain. (shrug)

Sorry about jumping the gun on this, but this promotion had all the earmarks of a very special, high profile release, especially given the price tag.[/font] :sorry:

[font:Times New Roman]Paraphrased, pre-emptive review that I've just posted at the Amazon site where this title is available for pre-order.

I've had the fortune of reading a screener copy review and examined screen captures of this product before ordering. Alas, every element of this public domain release has apparently been mishandled. If I were a more cynical person I'd be inclined to describe this as an intentional deception by the issuer.

From all indications this is a very poor transfer, upscaled from secondary sources, not from Warner owned 35mm negatives or prints used in the Superman BD boxed set (from which the cartoons were only issued in SD).

Also, there is apparently a company watermark in the corner throughout this release. That in and of itself should be a deal killer, but there's more.

Image detail has apparently been lost in rendering these second rate SD transfers to BD. There are brighter colors, yes, but less image detail. You heard that right, LESS image detail.

My negative impressions come directly from a discussion on the Blu-ray forum, where first hand impressions are available for those who want to check out the veracity of claims. Initially I was excited about this release, but the more I learned about the issuer the more apprehensive I became. Now I'm totally disappointed and disgusted at what is being done to the artistry of these classic cartoons.

Tragically, the company releasing this travesty is piggy-backing off of all the good reviews of prior releases. Amazon really needs to fix this by separating reviews of different releases, especially when inferior public domain releases are lumped in with studio archived material and better SD transfers, as the preponderance of positive reviews for earlier DVD releases, which were mastered from better source prints, is likely to confuse the unwary buyer.

I'm only describing what I've learned as a heads-up. Please take everything you read with a grain of salt, my POV included, as I'm relying on second hand information here, albeit well founded. Feel free to buy this set at your own discretion, but caveat emptor!

An update was needed on this as I wouldn't want boardies interested in this release to be mislead. There's still plenty of time to cancel your orders from Amazon. Based on what I've learned today that's probably pretty good advice. My apologies to those who got their hopes up about this release from my earlier comments. I'm just as disappointed as everyone else.[/font]