• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harvey adventure and mystery title collecting thread!

127 posts in this topic

We already have a thread for the Harvey Casper, Wendy, Spooky, Hot Stuff, Little Dot, Richie Rich, Sad Sack and the other kiddie titles:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5394800&fpart=1

This thread therefore is for those other titles!

Here then are scans of my first four issues of Black Cat Comics:

09-09-201264654PM.jpg

An early Charles Atlas ad is on the back cover:

09-09-201264711PM.jpg

09-09-201264657PM.jpg

Issues #2 and #3 featured a subscription ad on the back cover:

09-09-201264724PM.jpg

09-09-201264703PM.jpg

09-09-201264731PM.jpg

Mmmmmm, Baby Ruth! How I admired the Halloween ads Curtis ran for Baby Ruth and Butterfinger candy bars in Life and Post magazines as a kid! Neither were sold in Canaada at the time.

09-09-201264736PM.jpg

:cool:

PS Publishing has put out a lot of Harvey horror archive style books recently (Tomb of Terror, Black Cat Mystery, Chamber of Chills, Witches Tales) as well as a number of ACG horror/sf titles. The publisher, Pete, is a regular over at Crisis on Infinite Comics forum if you are looking for news on upcoming releases. Roy Thomas has also hooked up with PS as an Editor/Creative Director type role. Pete recently posted this information:

ALREADY AVAILABLE:

CHAMBER OF CHILL VOL 1 -- (bookshop edition sold out, slipcased edition in short supply

CHAMBER OF CHILLS VOL 2

CHAMBER OF CHILLS VOL 3

WITCHES TALES VOL 1

TOMB OF TERROR VOL 1

BLACK CAT MYSTERY VOL 1

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN VOL 1

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN VOL 2

FORBIDDEN WORLDS VOL 1

OUT OF THE NIGHT VOL 1

COMING SOON:

SKELETON HAND -- (next week

PLANET COMICS VOL 1 -- being printed

THE HEAP VOL 1 -- being proofed

WITCHES TALES VOL 2 -- going to print w/c 10 September

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN VOL 3 -- going to print w/c 10 September

FORBIDDEN WORLDS VOL 2 -- going to print w/c 10 September

BRYANT AND MAY -- going to print w/c 3 September

CHAMBER OF CHILLS VOL 4 -- going to print w/c 3 September

WITCHES TALES VOL 3

THE HEAP VOL 2

PLANET COMICS VOL 2

PHANTOM LADY VOL 1

WITCHES TALES VOL 4

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN VOL 4

THE HEAP VOL 3

FORBIDDEN WORLDS VOL 3

Thanks for the pointer, sfcityduck, I will head over there and check that out. And thanks for the list -- wow, 10 hardcovers out already... I missed out on that Chamber of Chills Vol 1 bookshop ed. and have some catching up to do on a couple others.

PS Publishing has put out a lot of Harvey horror archive style books recently (Tomb of Terror, Black Cat Mystery, Chamber of Chills, Witches Tales) as well as a number of ACG horror/sf titles. The publisher, Pete, is a regular over at Crisis on Infinite Comics forum if you are looking for news on upcoming releases. Roy Thomas has also hooked up with PS as an Editor/Creative Director type role. Pete recently posted this information:

ALREADY AVAILABLE:

CHAMBER OF CHILL VOL 1 -- (bookshop edition sold out, slipcased edition in short supply

CHAMBER OF CHILLS VOL 2

CHAMBER OF CHILLS VOL 3

WITCHES TALES VOL 1

TOMB OF TERROR VOL 1

BLACK CAT MYSTERY VOL 1

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN VOL 1

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN VOL 2

FORBIDDEN WORLDS VOL 1

OUT OF THE NIGHT VOL 1

COMING SOON:

SKELETON HAND -- (next week

PLANET COMICS VOL 1 -- being printed

THE HEAP VOL 1 -- being proofed

WITCHES TALES VOL 2 -- going to print w/c 10 September

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN VOL 3 -- going to print w/c 10 September

FORBIDDEN WORLDS VOL 2 -- going to print w/c 10 September

BRYANT AND MAY -- going to print w/c 3 September

CHAMBER OF CHILLS VOL 4 -- going to print w/c 3 September

WITCHES TALES VOL 3

THE HEAP VOL 2

PLANET COMICS VOL 2

PHANTOM LADY VOL 1

WITCHES TALES VOL 4

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN VOL 4

THE HEAP VOL 3

FORBIDDEN WORLDS VOL 3

Hepcat,

By the way, I always appreciate your scans of your collection, both here and over at the Crisis site.

Cool! I'll continue posting them then. Here are scans of my three Terry & the Pirates comics:

17-05-201183614PM.jpg

17-05-201183618PM.jpg

17-05-201183622PM.jpg

Milt Caniff was an incredible talent. It's a pity he's no more than a fading memory to present day comic fans.

(shrug)

TerryandthePirates22.jpg

That sure looks better than a 5.5?

Yes, it doesn't even look close, but I bought it for the pedigree so the grade didn't really matter. All the Central Valley books are gorgeous.

I've posted most of the Black Cat's before so I won't double down on those.

Why not? Has there been any other Black Cat or Harvey thread in the Golden Age forum these last two years? If not, how can you be so sure everyone who may be interested has viewed those comics?

If I've already taken the trouble to scan a comic, I then post it wherever it fits over the next few months in order to get maximum use from my scan. You can't assume that everyone reading one thread will have read the other thread on a different topic. There's so many different threads that few posters look at them all.

(shrug)

TerryandthePirates22.jpg

That sure looks better than a 5.5?

Yes, it doesn't even look close, but I bought it for the pedigree so the grade didn't really matter. All the Central Valley books are gorgeous.

So break it out of the slab. It'll look even better then! And you'll be able to admire the white pages then.

;)