• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,089 posts in this topic

All my slow tier Modern 8/27's just went to G/E/I.

Just in case people wanting to see CGC's current grading of Moderns. 

On 1/4/2022 at 3:48 PM, Hutch88 said:

I have an economy order at 8 months on 1/6.  Anyone else seeing theirs ship?   :wishluck:

No Movement on my 7/26 pre-screen economy.  SFG only

On 1/4/2022 at 6:26 PM, PovertyRow said:

I do not understand how CGC can, with any semblance of good conscience, keep pumping out these regular emails about signings which all say "CGC will grade and encapsulate them with an estimated turnaround time of six weeks. If CCS pressing is also requested, the turnaround time is estimated at eight weeks. After grading and encapsulation, the collectibles will be shipped back to their owners."

SIX WEEK TURNAROUND and to heck with everyone else? What IS this?

It’s what happens when you become over-confident in your place at the head of the table.    

On 1/4/2022 at 6:26 PM, PovertyRow said:

I do not understand how CGC can, with any semblance of good conscience, keep pumping out these regular emails about signings which all say "CGC will grade and encapsulate them with an estimated turnaround time of six weeks. If CCS pressing is also requested, the turnaround time is estimated at eight weeks. After grading and encapsulation, the collectibles will be shipped back to their owners."

SIX WEEK TURNAROUND and to heck with everyone else? What IS this?

And they don't even stick to those estimates. As I posted earlier, my Sienkiewicz books were signed 17 weeks ago and still sitting in GEI. 

On 1/4/2022 at 4:54 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes I've sent in modern and economy, and I've had them actually checked in and received at different days, the wait wasnt too long. A couple of days to a week tops, and dont ask me why lol

My brother from another mother lmao  I was waiting for you to chime in.  Thanks Adam, you've been a huge help for me  here as well as others. 

I got concerned because my economy submission is two of the priciest books in own and I didn't want them getting lost. Lol 

On 1/4/2022 at 6:58 PM, Ninja0215 said:

My brother from another mother lmao  I was waiting for you to chime in.  Thanks Adam, you've been a huge help for me  here as well as others. 

I got concerned because my economy submission is two of the priciest books in own and I didn't want them getting lost. Lol 

Well I hesitated at first, but then I remembered asking the same question not so long ago and helpful boardies like @PunisherPunisherPunisher giving me some insight.

And lol

Ironically, that is what I'm sending in next as well, a economy 3 book and 20 book modern. I printed it out last week, so I better step up the time table.

:x

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/4/2022 at 8:02 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well I hesitated at first, but then I remembered asking the same question not so long ago and helpful boardies like @PunisherPunisherPunisher giving me some insight.

And lol

Ironically, that is what I'm sending in next as well, a economy 3 book and 20 book modern. I printed it out last week, so I better step up the time table.

:x

Get going man!!! And good luck haha 

On 1/4/2022 at 7:11 PM, Ninja0215 said:

@ADAMANTIUM these will probably be my only submissions this year but never say never haha 

Save if you can, maybe when you start getting more things back, itll open the idea or door for more. :)

But I hear you, and with the the prices going up, we can't always count our chickens. Still, I'm happy you have some things there, I'm sure they'll be worth the wait!  :x

On 1/4/2022 at 8:14 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Save if you can, maybe when you start getting more things back, itll open the idea or door for more. :)

But I hear you, and with the the prices going up, we can't always count our chickens. Still, I'm happy you have some things there, I'm sure they'll be worth the wait!  :x

Oh they are ! When they arrive I'll post them . I might be able to squeak out one more ....but which one haha.

On 1/4/2022 at 4:27 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

My guess is no.  World is open more now than last time, mixed with inflation, and honestly those same people not submitting because like you said your books still haven't been graded since last time.  Less urgency to get books in this time. 

My initial thought when seeing the fee increase was that I better put together a submission for my ~20 copies of star wars high republic 1… but… why? Why the rush? 

@NewWorldOrder has me second guessing myself now… every time you mention drek that people submit to CGC I think of my recent modern submissions… perhaps when I get them back from CGC in 2 years they will at least be worth more than my cost to submit them…

On 1/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, eddly said:

My initial thought when seeing the fee increase was that I better put together a submission for my ~20 copies of star wars high republic 1… but… why? Why the rush? 

@NewWorldOrder has me second guessing myself now… every time you mention drek that people submit to CGC I think of my recent modern submissions… perhaps when I get them back from CGC in 2 years they will at least be worth more than my cost to submit them…

Most comics since 1980 are DREK lol   I see a lot DREK make a lot of people a lot of money!

Real DREK to which I am referring to is did you waste your time and lose money from submitting that invoice of comics to CGC?  That the true measuring stick.  

On 1/4/2022 at 7:41 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Most comics since 1980 are DREK lol   I see a lot DREK make a lot of people a lot of money!

Real DREK to which I am referring to is did you waste your time and lose money from submitting that invoice of comics to CGC?  That the true measuring stick.  

I have 125 modern books at CGC right now (50 of them mine). When I submitted them in July… they were all worth at least $100 in a 9.8… now though? Some have fallen to about $65 which is making me sweat a bit.

Anything grading less than a 9.8 can probably be dumped on eBay for cost though. :wishluck:

These weren’t necessarily all meant to be quickly flipped though. This is really just a distraction from the day to day chaos we are all experiencing right now.

On 1/4/2022 at 6:49 PM, eddly said:

I have 125 modern books at CGC right now (50 of them mine). When I submitted them in July… they were all worth at least $100 in a 9.8… now though? Some have fallen to about $65 which is making me sweat a bit.

Anything grading less than a 9.8 can probably be dumped on eBay for cost though. :wishluck:

These weren’t necessarily all meant to be quickly flipped though. This is really just a distraction from the day to day chaos we are all experiencing right now.

$100 should the be the min now unless the books are for ones personal collection.

For me?  Anything less than $150 I just wasted a spot in the grading line on that invoice.

On 1/4/2022 at 8:44 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

$100 should the be the min now unless the books are for ones personal collection.

For me?  Anything less than $150 I just wasted a spot in the grading line on that invoice.

My submission does include 3 books for my pc. Amazing Spider-Man annual 21 which I acquired off the shelf when I was just 8 years old. Just a keepsake, they have a chance of being high 9s… but they have noticeable bindery tears… so we will see. Even if they get 9.2, probably still worth $75 each. 

On 1/4/2022 at 10:44 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I think right now its a tough call.  Most books I submit that are from 1990-present I expect to get a 9.8 on as I screen them very closely and get any correctable defects pressed out.  Unfortunately, what I've seen over the last year is that the grades have been lower on average, and this massively affects the resale value of the books.  A $150 9.8 book is worth maybe $75 if it grades 9.6 and maybe $35 at 9.4.  Not to mention that the selling times can increase, so you may be tempted to just dump them at cost in an Ebay auction (done this far too many times lol).  Personally I'm still on the sidelines.  I'd like the grades to normalize and the TATs to decrease, and I'm sure I'm not alone here.  As it stands now, I just can't justify long TATs and low grades.  Maybe I'll test the waters with a few Silver/Bronze age books to see if they suffer similar grade deflation.  Hopefully not, but sadly it will take me 6 months to find out :-(

On 1/4/2022 at 6:27 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

My guess is no.  World is open more now than last time, mixed with inflation, and honestly those same people not submitting because like you said your books still haven't been graded since last time.  Less urgency to get books in this time. 

I too doubt that there will be a huge submission rush now.  Anyone who did this last time paid a huge time price as it was evident that submission send just prior to the price increase were penalized and actually took much longer to process than submissions after the deadline.  Some are sadly still in limbo as they no doubt had huge warehousing issues and thus difficulty in tracking books.  If anything, the wise money will just wait until after the price increase to submit books so they they do not suffer a similar penalty/misfortune.  It will definitely be interesting to watch their estimated TATs over the next few weeks. 

Regardless, I still disagree that they should even announce these increases.  Just change your pricing on the online forms and be done with it.  It looks like they've finally gotten rid of their PDF submission forms for Comics and Cards, so no need to worry about the dinosaurs using them trying to get the old rates.

Edited by Petroman