• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,049 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2022 at 12:45 PM, universal soldier said:

Are you fudging kidding me? :censored: 220 days for economy? CGC really needs to figure their :censored: out.

yeah, TATs went up 1.5 months on moderns and economy today

ugh

On 2/28/2022 at 12:45 PM, universal soldier said:

Are you fudging kidding me? :censored: 220 days for economy? CGC really needs to figure their :censored: out.

If you can guess what the hot spec book for Jan 2023 you will be set, money in the bank.

On 2/27/2022 at 7:28 AM, dikran1 said:

Resale price, GPA tracking, Regstry, these chat boards. 

And at least the registry and chat boards are free...for now. We'll see how long that lasts under the new regime.

On 2/28/2022 at 12:55 PM, PKJ said:

I had two Value Submissions move to GEI today, been sitting at SFG since 9/30.

Joey has 3 other submissions of mine that he dropped off at the same time that got put under his account so can't see progress but when all these get back I will be done submitting.

Hi PKJ, how many books were in your Value submissions and when were they received by CGC? I'm thinking these were all put into storage somewhere in a deep dark cavern.

On 2/28/2022 at 11:57 AM, eastriver31400 said:

I honestly wonder if we will start seeing a trend towards trading in unslabbed books again. 

I suspect we will. I know I am seeing less and less slabs on the various online groups and more raw books. Ive also noticed a drastic increase in raw books at someone the bigger online retailers. It makes me wonder if CGC is creating an industry shift in collecting where people go to top loaders, mylites, and full backs as opposed to graded books. As insane as things have been in the collecting world for the last year or 2 I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see slabs relegated to the back burner and raw books coming front and center again. I think graded will still be the preference on some things, but with a year or so turn around time hot moderns are almost dead in the water. And to be honest that also kills a ton of pre75 books with the exception of a few. I suppose time will tell.......

On 2/28/2022 at 12:57 PM, eastriver31400 said:

I honestly wonder if we will start seeing a trend towards trading in unslabbed books again. 

I think it is a matter of ratios changing. Knowing that the wait time will be pushing a year people may roll more books as raw copies to try to recover the cost of investment (e.g., buying a collection). Those who love slabs will continue to send to CGC, but they may start to be more selective and send fewer books. Of course if that happens as a trend wait times will start to drop, and people will just go right back to sending tons of books in. 

On 2/28/2022 at 1:53 PM, maxon said:

Hi PKJ, how many books were in your Value submissions and when were they received by CGC? I'm thinking these were all put into storage somewhere in a deep dark cavern.

One is 8 books the other is only 3. I don't remember when they were received as I tried not to watch them at all for months.

On 2/28/2022 at 11:15 AM, irishcritic said:

I suspect we will. I know I am seeing less and less slabs on the various online groups and more raw books. Ive also noticed a drastic increase in raw books at someone the bigger online retailers. It makes me wonder if CGC is creating an industry shift in collecting where people go to top loaders, mylites, and full backs as opposed to graded books. As insane as things have been in the collecting world for the last year or 2 I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see slabs relegated to the back burner and raw books coming front and center again. I think graded will still be the preference on some things, but with a year or so turn around time hot moderns are almost dead in the water. And to be honest that also kills a ton of pre75 books with the exception of a few. I suppose time will tell.......

zero chance 

On 2/28/2022 at 11:29 AM, Stefan_W said:

I think it is a matter of ratios changing. Knowing that the wait time will be pushing a year people may roll more books as raw copies to try to recover the cost of investment (e.g., buying a collection). Those who love slabs will continue to send to CGC, but they may start to be more selective and send fewer books. Of course if that happens as a trend wait times will start to drop, and people will just go right back to sending tons of books in. 

It also a matter of the people who dont know what they are doing losing enough money so they stop sending in speculative trash or books they think are High Grade and come back 7.5. 

On 2/28/2022 at 8:38 AM, skybolt said:

They need to open a west coast office and have half the country ship their books there. 

That would cost millions for them to do. I highly doubt this investment company that recently bought them out will go for that. I think the only thing that currently makes sense is to pause signing events until they catch up. However, that is a cash cow for them so another no to the solution. I don't see things getting better before they get worse. Unless people stop submitting and they see their bottom lines decrease significantly I do not see them doing anything. I am praying something good happens but until I see it things will probably get worse. Say hello to 1 year TAT's on modern slow.

On 2/28/2022 at 2:27 PM, Wheresmymarvelvaluestamp said:

That would cost millions for them to do. I highly doubt this investment company that recently bought them out will go for that. I think the only thing that currently makes sense is to pause signing events until they catch up. However, that is a cash cow for them so another no to the solution. I don't see things getting better before they get worse. Unless people stop submitting and they see their bottom lines decrease significantly I do not see them doing anything. I am praying something good happens but until I see it things will probably get worse. Say hello to 1 year TAT's on modern slow.

Agreed, a company in growth mode run by someone that is personally invested in business operates much differently than one that has been acquired as a "cash cow".  Once that buy out happens and the owners walk away the parent company is ONLY going to be concerned with profits and reducing operating costs over time.  No surprise that folks are getting billed sooner in the grading process, this will allow them to pull forward any sales they need to hit bigger quarterly earnings estimates.  No need to make customers happy, no need to hire new folks, etc.  So don't look for anything to change.  Unless they get the ok from corporate to add FTE's dramatically.  I hear that they are hiring (or have hired) new people.  But, with the current backlog, turnover with people retiring of choosing to work somewhere (with less stress or more pay), the need for current employees to train new hires (which slows down the actual work), and the learning curve, they have mismanaged the business (as seen by 1 year wait times) and this will take a long time to correct.  Or the apologists might be right and they'll turn this ship around in no time.  Anyone want to place bets? 

On 2/28/2022 at 12:55 PM, PKJ said:

I had two Value Submissions move to GEI today, been sitting at SFG since 9/30.

Joey has 3 other submissions of mine that he dropped off at the same time that got put under his account so can't see progress but when all these get back I will be done submitting.

I'm doing the same. I have 3 Economy subs in there right now. With the way things are, and the way they seem unwilling to fix things (and I'm not talking about just the TATs), I think it's time for a change.

Astute observation, it's not often someone blames the customer for wanting the service provided.

If you were the manager of a restaurant that saw an uptick in business would you tell your regular cliental that wait times for a table are now 4 hours and watch customers walk away?  Or would you try and add some cooks/waiters and provide a good experience for all (new/old customers as well as your employees) while simultaneously adding profit to your bottom line?

Yeah, it's the customers fault.

On 2/28/2022 at 12:57 PM, eastriver31400 said:

Its a great question and it will be interesting to see how things play out.  If you ask me there really needs to be something between a CGC/CBCS slab and a book in Mylar.  I know CBCS offers/offered a "raw grade" service where books would just come back in Mylar sleeves with some type of tamper resistant stickers sealing the flap.  I can see the benefits of such a service, especially for personal collection books and newer books that you want to buy or sell on Ebay that maybe are worth $50-$100 (which is probably a large percentage of the books currently sold, and likely a large percentage of the books currently submitted for grading). 

Slabbed books are great, but they do present some major issues with storage.  A short box that used to hold 125 books now becomes a larger dimension short box that only holds 25 books.  Having a slabbed collection with a large number (500+) of books would require a significant amount of space, not to mention the grading cost.