• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,038 posts in this topic

Below was my most recent experience with CGC/CCS. Service was -Grading/Pressing Tier - Modern Fast Track.  Six books in total.

5/5/21 - Packaged for submission to CGC.  
5/5/21 - Dropped off at airport post office
5/13/21 - Package receipt acknowledged by CGC, but not yet opened
7/12/21 - Package received/opened by CGC
7/28/21 - Received at CCS for pressing
9/17/21 - CCS in Process
2/21/22 - Scheduled for Grading
2/24/22 -Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging
2/28/22 - Grading/Quality Control
3/2/22 - Shipped

On 3/1/2022 at 5:48 PM, Popeyeak49 said:

Below was my most recent experience with CGC/CCS. Service was -Grading/Pressing Tier - Modern Fast Track.  Six books in total.

5/5/21 - Packaged for submission to CGC.  
5/5/21 - Dropped off at airport post office
5/13/21 - Package receipt acknowledged by CGC, but not yet opened
7/12/21 - Package received/opened by CGC
7/28/21 - Received at CCS for pressing
9/17/21 - CCS in Process
2/21/22 - Scheduled for Grading
2/24/22 -Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging
2/28/22 - Grading/Quality Control
3/2/22 - Shipped

Interesting.  Glad it went its course that quick after pressing, I hope it's that way for a lot of people. I dont press, but I know the wait on my modern slow received 11/02 is still sfg.

On 3/1/2022 at 5:34 PM, cd4ever said:

This is the first post regarding movement on a Value submission I have seen in some time. I have a sub that has been SFG since mid-July.  Maybe I will actually see those books again!  But probably not. 

I also have a "value" submission that's been sitting in SFG since July 14, 2021.
I shipped those books at the end of April, 2021. So we are past 10 months since I sent them. :taptaptap:

On 3/1/2022 at 12:34 PM, cd4ever said:

This is the first post regarding movement on a Value submission I have seen in some time. I have a sub that has been SFG since mid-July.  Maybe I will actually see those books again!  But probably not. 

Well, if you are like me, it is like getting new books, two of them were Newsstands I forgot I owned. I did get a 9.0 where I count exactly one tiny spine tick, no graders notes.

7 of 8 boxes shipped on Feb 8.  The last one went to shipped (saw the grades) then went back to QC that same day.  Still sitting in QC and was told it was ready to be shipped :sorry: 3 weeks waiting to be shipped...I'm not sure what we are waiting on but this can't be good.

One of my two magazine moderns from June 29, 2021 that fell off my list shipped only cuz I got an email.

It didn't show up on my dashboard again like it was supposed to.

At least I got good grades. 

Curveball: Had a dealer drop off some of my books at CGC on the 14th of Feb.  All modern/economy slow except one Modern FT.  That modern FT is back in hand TODAY (3/1/22).  I don't know what kind of wacky magic that was but I'll take it.

On 3/1/2022 at 1:50 PM, Wheresmymarvelvaluestamp said:

I think slabs assign an approximate value to the book whereas a raw book is so subjective. Think of passing away and now your collection is in the hands of someone who might know nothing about comics. Slabs at least can give a roadmap to what it is worth. Raws most likely will get pennies on the dollar unless the person knows how to grade and has the time to get top dollar. I feel better getting my higher priced books slabbed for that reason alone. Some of us spent decades collecting this stuff and for it to get bulked out for pennies on the dollar is a huge slap in the face.

Agree that high value books should be slabbed, both for the protection it provides and the bump it gives to resale prices.  But google CBCS and their raw grade service.  I'm not sure they still offer it, but it is basically a way to get an impartial grade supplied to your books and have them returned in Mylar and sealed with tamper resistant stickers.  Obviously the protection factor isn't there, and there is more of chance of someone tampering with the book, but I would be willing to pay for such a service it the turn around times were much faster and the cost say maybe 50%.  Likewise, I'd be willing to buy books with such a raw grade, but only up to a certain amount, maybe $200 or so.  I see this type of service being very valuable for people that often sell/buy on platforms such as Ebay as it would give an assurance that the book they are buying is of a certain quality.  Granted, this assurance wouldn't be as good as that of a slabbed book, but for a lesser valued book I would be okay with this given the cheaper grading cost and faster turnaround time.

So....I sent my submission to CGC Fast Track Modern - 18 books on January 25th. It was delivered on February 2nd to CGC as per USPS tracking. It was received by CGC on Feb 18th. It moved to grading/quality control on Feb 25th and then was marked as shipped this morning March 2nd. WTF!!??? Literally 6 weeks. 

Edited by WPGJet
more info

On 3/1/2022 at 8:30 PM, Petroman said:

Agree that high value books should be slabbed, both for the protection it provides and the bump it gives to resale prices.  But google CBCS and their raw grade service.  I'm not sure they still offer it, but it is basically a way to get an impartial grade supplied to your books and have them returned in Mylar and sealed with tamper resistant stickers.  Obviously the protection factor isn't there, and there is more of chance of someone tampering with the book, but I would be willing to pay for such a service it the turn around times were much faster and the cost say maybe 50%.  Likewise, I'd be willing to buy books with such a raw grade, but only up to a certain amount, maybe $200 or so.  I see this type of service being very valuable for people that often sell/buy on platforms such as Ebay as it would give an assurance that the book they are buying is of a certain quality.  Granted, this assurance wouldn't be as good as that of a slabbed book, but for a lesser valued book I would be okay with this given the cheaper grading cost and faster turnaround time.

How long does this process take CBCS? 

3 out of my 4 submissions received by CCS on 4/11 went to SFG in early February and have already shipped. The last submission still hasn't moved to SFG. I want to call, but realize it's still within the 249 business day window. :(

On 3/1/2022 at 6:11 PM, adampasz said:

I also have a "value" submission that's been sitting in SFG since July 14, 2021.
I shipped those books at the end of April, 2021. So we are past 10 months since I sent them. :taptaptap:

I'm right there with you and there is apparently no end in sight. Sent in value tier first of May been in SFG since 7/30. Last time I called I was given the random time of another 2-4 months. I'm betting they will be over a year from when CGC got the box.............

On 3/2/2022 at 11:14 AM, skybolt said:

How long does this process take CBCS? 

I don't know, but CBCS seems equally, if not more, backed up on their TATs.  Not sure if the raw grading stuff is a "back door" with faster TATs.  Maybe I'll post something on their TAT forum.  In any event, their website still has this service listed:  https://www.cbcscomics.com/rawgrade.  I definitely see a value in such a service if I can get an accurate grade for half the price and not have to deal with the extra bulk of a graded book for storage, transporting, etc.  Seems like it would be an asset when trying to sell on Ebay, and would also just be a good way to know the grade on books you want to keep long term and maybe get properly encapsulated at a later date if they appreciate in value.  I'd much rather lug around 125 books in a short box than 5 x 25 book graded short boxes.

On 3/2/2022 at 12:05 PM, Petroman said:

I don't know, but CBCS seems equally, if not more, backed up on their TATs.  Not sure if the raw grading stuff is a "back door" with faster TATs.  Maybe I'll post something on their TAT forum.  In any event, their website still has this service listed:  https://www.cbcscomics.com/rawgrade.  I definitely see a value in such a service if I can get an accurate grade for half the price and not have to deal with the extra bulk of a graded book for storage, transporting, etc.  Seems like it would be an asset when trying to sell on Ebay, and would also just be a good way to know the grade on books you want to keep long term and maybe get properly encapsulated at a later date if they appreciate in value.  I'd much rather lug around 125 books in a short box than 5 x 25 book graded short boxes.

It could be an asset, but since they do not do a check for restoration I would not pay FMV for an older book graded in this way. Probably safe for bronze and up though. 

On 3/2/2022 at 12:12 PM, Stefan_W said:

It could be an asset, but since they do not do a check for restoration I would not pay FMV for an older book graded in this way. Probably safe for bronze and up though. 

Agreed, I would not use this for any books that are older than say 10 or 15 years, nor would I use it for anything that is worth much more than $200.  For relatively recent books that show potential for price appreciation, be it scarcity, new characters, hot artist, etc. I'd use such a service both for PC books I want to hold onto and books I plan to sell online.  I would imagine that for the latter case the $10 grading fee would be pretty easy to recoup.  The key to all of this would be whether or not the TATs would be *much* faster.

Personally, I would never buy a raw graded comic. The grade is simply what it was at the time of grading. It could've been balled up and stuck in the toilet for a day, and it would still have that grade attached to it.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:17 AM, irishcritic said:
On 3/1/2022 at 6:11 PM, adampasz said:

I'm right there with you and there is apparently no end in sight. Sent in value tier first of May been in SFG since 7/30. Last time I called I was given the random time of another 2-4 months. I'm betting they will be over a year from when CGC got the box.............

Are you calling to find out?  I have a value submission that was received on 7/1/2021 which, of course, is over 8 months ago so I can no longer check it's status online.  @CGC Mike I know you were just bugged about this a week ago, but any new word on extending the 8 month rule?

• Administrator
On 3/2/2022 at 12:54 PM, thunsicker said:

Are you calling to find out?  I have a value submission that was received on 7/1/2021 which, of course, is over 8 months ago so I can no longer check it's status online.  @CGC Mike I know you were just bugged about this a week ago, but any new word on extending the 8 month rule?

This is all the info I currently have.  Sorry.

On 3/1/2022 at 9:21 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

For invoices older than 8 months, you would have to have the submission number to access any information about that submission.  Unfortunately, you can't see anything on your submission tracking older than 8 months so you would have to contact us to obtain that information for you on those older submissions.  We are working on getting that changed so goin forward there is no time limit on how long invoices stay on your account but we don't yet have a date when that will be updated, unfortunately.  But once that is updated, it will be much easier for the customer to keep track.

Thank you!

I just wanted to give a personal experience regarding the number of days once a submission is received and the books are graded and shipped. My modern shipment was received on Sept.17/2021. The books were shipped out today. I estimate this at approximately 111 business days. At the time of submission the number of days from receipt to shipping was 131 business days. So CGC was early compared to their stated time. I hope this helps the collectors out there.