• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,049 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2022 at 1:10 PM, 67Lovers said:

I just wanted to give a personal experience regarding the number of days once a submission is received and the books are graded and shipped. My modern shipment was received on Sept.17/2021. The books were shipped out today. I estimate this at approximately 111 business days. At the time of submission the number of days from receipt to shipping was 131 business days. So CGC was early compared to their stated time. I hope this helps the collectors out there.

Thank you very much! My modern shipment was received on Nov 15th so that gives me very helpful info on approx how much longer I'll be waiting. 

On 3/2/2022 at 11:54 AM, thunsicker said:

Are you calling to find out?  I have a value submission that was received on 7/1/2021 which, of course, is over 8 months ago so I can no longer check it's status online.  @CGC Mike I know you were just bugged about this a week ago, but any new word on extending the 8 month rule?

Yea. I actually submitted this particular order through a presser so i called about a week or so ago to get the status. Honestly calling is hit or miss sometimes, and its all a guess anyway.

25 Modern Fast Track

12/3 Delivered to CGC

12/8 Received

12/8 SFG

12/23: GEI

2/16: G/QC

2/17: Shipped

2/24: Delivered :banana:

1 Mechanical Error

1/10: Delivered to CGC

1/13: SFG

2/14: GEI

2/28: Shipped

3/1: Delivered :banana:

1 George Perez Signature Series w/ Pressing

1/28: Delivered to CGC

2/22: Received at CCS

1 Brian Michael Bendis/Mark Bagley Signature Series w/Pressing

1/28: Delivered to CGC

On 3/1/2022 at 4:48 PM, Popeyeak49 said:

Below was my most recent experience with CGC/CCS. Service was -Grading/Pressing Tier - Modern Fast Track.  Six books in total.

5/5/21 - Packaged for submission to CGC.  
5/5/21 - Dropped off at airport post office
5/13/21 - Package receipt acknowledged by CGC, but not yet opened
7/12/21 - Package received/opened by CGC
7/28/21 - Received at CCS for pressing
9/17/21 - CCS in Process
2/21/22 - Scheduled for Grading
2/24/22 -Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging
2/28/22 - Grading/Quality Control
3/2/22 - Shipped

I have modern slow track received at CCS since 7/16 that just now went to CCS in process today 3/2. So, my books hit received at CCS 2 weeks before yours and hit CCS in process status 6 months after yours. Guess I'll see these books in the fall. 

If anyone wondering the difference in time for fast track modern CCS, and slow track, appears to be about 6 months. ???

I sent 1 book for the Perez signing. Once it was cancelled per the email I choose to have it graded in a blue label. Here are my dates. No pressing. 

Delivered to CGC via USPS 1/7

Marked received 1/17

SFG 1/17

Grading/Encap/imaging 2/2

Fast movement but I wonder how long it will sit in GEI

Modern Slow Track (50 Books)
Delivered 09/20/21
Received 10/19/21
Scheduled For Grading 10/19/21
Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging 03/02/22

Modern Slow Track (50 Books)
Delivered 10/28/21
Received 11/01/21
Scheduled For Grading 11/01/21

Modern Slow Track (100 Books)
Delivered 11/18/21
Received 11/23/21
Scheduled For Grading 11/23/21

Delivered 01/24/22
Received 02/22/22
Scheduled For Grading 02/22/22

Delivered 02/10/22

On 3/2/2022 at 12:05 PM, Petroman said:

I don't know, but CBCS seems equally, if not more, backed up on their TATs.  Not sure if the raw grading stuff is a "back door" with faster TATs.  Maybe I'll post something on their TAT forum.  In any event, their website still has this service listed:  https://www.cbcscomics.com/rawgrade.  I definitely see a value in such a service if I can get an accurate grade for half the price and not have to deal with the extra bulk of a graded book for storage, transporting, etc.  Seems like it would be an asset when trying to sell on Ebay, and would also just be a good way to know the grade on books you want to keep long term and maybe get properly encapsulated at a later date if they appreciate in value.  I'd much rather lug around 125 books in a short box than 5 x 25 book graded short boxes.

Modern slow is just as bad, I just went into the equivalent of G/E/I in a modern slow tier that was received first week of August.  Though I sent in another book on a higher tier and it came back within two weeks...which is essentially express except it cost me 60ish bucks.

On 3/3/2022 at 6:56 AM, skybolt said:

Yup. My two 10/19 received submissions also went to G/E/I yesterday.

They all went to QC today as well.

Looking at my 2 recent slow modern submissions I'm actually shocked at the grades received. I typically on average get 60 to 70% 9.8's, but only 3 out of 43 books came back as 9.8's. Either I'm losing it or grading has gotten super tough. Anyone else experience anything similar? Even the 2 batches graded last week that were sent it at the same time came back at 50% efficiency. There's no way my grading fell of the cliff like that. Whomever was grading these was looking for perfection.

On 3/3/2022 at 3:37 PM, skybolt said:

Looking at my 2 recent slow modern submissions I'm actually shocked at the grades received. I typically on average get 60 to 70% 9.8's, but only 3 out of 43 books came back as 9.8's. Either I'm losing it or grading has gotten super tough. Anyone else experience anything similar? 

yes

On 3/3/2022 at 12:37 PM, skybolt said:

Either I'm losing it or grading has gotten super tough.

Logically speaking, there is a third option: books are picking up new blemishes somewhere at or between the parcel receiving/opening stage and condition grading stage.  hm

On 3/3/2022 at 1:57 PM, zzutak said:

Logically speaking, there is a third option: books are picking up new blemishes somewhere at or between the parcel receiving/opening stage and condition grading stage.  hm

Great observation, and it's probably more likely to happen if the TAT are long and they have books stacked everywhere as they continue to fall farther behind.

Looking at my 2 recent slow modern submissions I'm actually shocked at the grades received. I typically on average get 60 to 70% 9.8's, but only 3 out of 43 books came back as 9.8's. Either I'm losing it or grading has gotten super tough. Anyone else experience anything similar? Even the 2 batches graded last week that were sent it at the same time came back at 50% efficiency. There's no way my grading fell of the cliff like that. Whomever was grading these was looking for perfection.

9 of my last 13 CGC submissions had grades I was roughly expecting, and the other 4 were totally hosed by the grader. For one of the hosed shipments I re-subbed 6 books that were originally graded with four 9.2s and two 9.4s, and with no addition press or anything the second time through there were three 9.6s and three 9.8s. 

So about a quarter of the shipments were destroyed by impossibly tough grading. I figure maybe it was new graders trying to show they are tough or something like that. 

This is the main reason I have stopped sending books to CGC.  My last few shipments came back on average 1-2 grades lower than expected.  Just can't justify sending them anything else until their get their house in order.