• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,049 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2022 at 4:52 PM, Wheresmymarvelvaluestamp said:

Everybody has a right to their opinion. I have seen hauls on YouTube and I think to myself why in the hell are they submitting $50-60 books. I get that. I don't recommend they do it. But, just like any company, if the customer is willing to spend/waste their money then let them do it. CGC does not care if the $24 grading fee goes to grading a $400 book or a $1 book. It is all the same to them.

I agree that hiring more graders is easy to say but harder to implement. Do we really want graders hired in a hurry? It would probably result in inconsistent grading. The only things I think will help would be to postpone signings and possibly pausing the modern submission tier for a few months to try to catch up. The people you are referring to will probably not want to spend for economy and the people who are smart will submit books where their profit is not affected too much.

I just think saying "my books are better than yours" is elitist. I learned my lesson to sending books in as slow. I will only be sending in as fast from now on.

I agree, just saying again if more people took the time to really understand what they are submitting they probably would submit a lot of less and help us all out. 

On 3/7/2022 at 5:22 PM, Wheresmymarvelvaluestamp said:

100%. Just think of how many UF4 and WWBN 32 facsimile reprints are in the queue. 

Trying not to, but you are right lol 

On 3/7/2022 at 5:27 PM, Wheresmymarvelvaluestamp said:

Should some of us buy at least one share of Blackstone stock so we can voice our opinion in a shareholders meeting?

If you buy enough you will be able to do more than vote. :devil:

On 3/7/2022 at 5:57 PM, Msgarmar said:

2 Walk-thru

Received: 2/16/22

Shipped: 2/24/22

8 Standard 

Received: 2/16/22

Scheduled for grading: 2/17/22

GEI: 2/28/22

Shipped: 3/7/22

EXTENSIVE grading notes on some beat up books. One example:

5CEF0810-5378-4727-A9E4-0EFADC6D7D63.jpeg

Well, I guess I can't use the word 'vague' anymore to describe the grader's notes.

You sure it wasn't 95%?

On 3/7/2022 at 7:13 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I agree, just saying again if more people took the time to really understand what they are submitting they probably would submit a lot of less and help us all out. 

I honestly get both sides of the argument. On the one hand, everyone has to start somewhere. Some of the best graders/sellers out there today probably went through a learning period at some point.

For instance, I would consider myself a 20% collector and 80% seller. When on average 70-75% of books submitted meet my expectations after getting graded, it makes the whole process worth it.  However, if my grading starts getting looser and/or CGC grading gets tighter, and only 25 to 30% of the books meet the grade expectations (which happened with my last couple of submissions), then I have to reevaluate everything.  Getting mostly 9.8's meets 2 goals. 1.) the books sell well and fairly quickly and 2.) I don't mind having them in my collection if they don't. On the other hand, if 75% of the books come back as 9.4's and 9.6's, then a.) they are hard to sell and b.) I don't want them in my collection.

Right now I'm going through a reevaluation period where a.) I'm waiting for additional submissions to come back to gage the results, and b.) will need to reevaluate every single one of the 300 books I mentioned to make sure they align with the current CGC grading standards.  

On 3/8/2022 at 12:29 PM, skybolt said:

However, if my grading starts getting looser and/or CGC grading gets tighter, and only 25 to 30% of the books meet the grade expectations (which happened with my last couple of submissions), then I have to reevaluate everything.

This is the crux of it.  Its unlikely that the the submitter's expected grades have gotten that much looser as many have posted on this forum that they have seen lower grades.  Much more likely that the new graders at CGC are still learning the ropes and seem to err on the side of caution.  What this means for many people such as you (and myself) is that it may not be the best time to submit books that you are expecting 9.8's on as there is a much higher chance that you will see many 9.6's and 9.4's.  As you state, this makes the book both harder to sell and/or less desirable for your collection.  And if you do sell it, you will likely sell it at or close to cost.  I've effectively paused my submissions over the last 9 months in the hopes that TATs will decrease and that grading will normalize.  In the meantime I see many good opportunities to buy books graded 9.4 or 9.6 at very reasonable prices.

Sitting at 209 days. Passed up the increased TAT...again...

VALUE

• 8/11/21
  • 24 books
  • Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging

VALUE

• 8/11/21
  • 12 books

Economy

• 8/11/21
  • 5 books

Economy

• 8/11/21
  • 3 books
Edited by AGGIEZ

On 3/8/2022 at 11:56 AM, Petroman said:

This is the crux of it.  Its unlikely that the the submitter's expected grades have gotten that much looser as many have posted on this forum that they have seen lower grades.  Much more likely that the new graders at CGC are still learning the ropes and seem to err on the side of caution.  What this means for many people such as you (and myself) is that it may not be the best time to submit books that you are expecting 9.8's on as there is a much higher chance that you will see many 9.6's and 9.4's.  As you state, this makes the book both harder to sell and/or less desirable for your collection.  And if you do sell it, you will likely sell it at or close to cost.  I've effectively paused my submissions over the last 9 months in the hopes that TATs will decrease and that grading will normalize.  In the meantime I see many good opportunities to buy books graded 9.4 or 9.6 at very reasonable prices.

Great points. I would even extend this issue to CCS as well. Some submissions come back with almost a perfect quick press job, while other submissions come back with some noticeable bends still present.

The one lesson I learned during this whole process is to not send everything in for pressing/grading all at once, even If the current TAT's are high.

One additional note I wanted to make. With recent submissions, it appears that the graders are looking for perfectly flat spines for 80's and 90's books, before handing out a 9.8 grade. In the past I've received many 9.8 grades if the book was not perfectly flat at the spine. Moving forward I'll either get these books pressed or not submit at all if the price margins are not worth it.

Edited by skybolt

What is going on with Grading? I sent 10 Economy books to CGC in June 2021. Received at CHC on August 18. STILL STUCK in "Scheduled for Grading" !

When originally sent the time frame was about 140 days, it is past that now and I am getting quite concerned.

On 3/8/2022 at 3:19 PM, Dikko said:

What is going on with Grading? I sent 10 Economy books to CGC in June 2021. Received at CHC on August 18. STILL STUCK in "Scheduled for Grading" !

When originally sent the time frame was about 140 days, it is past that now and I am getting quite concerned.

I know right!? I sent mine to CGC in May 2021. They arrived at CGC in early May, around the 7th. They weren't entered in the system until August 11, 2021...they were lost in the warehouse for a while until I started calling and asking about why they hadn't been entered. My Economy subs were stuck in SFG for a while and moved to GEI a few weeks ago. It's quite the train-wreck. CGC isn't alone. PSA (sports cards) and WATA (video games) are going through it as well. Nobody was ready for the flood of submissions...

Edited by AGGIEZ