• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,044 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2022 at 6:49 PM, JollyComics said:

Received 7/18

SFG 8/21

GEI 3/3

That gives me a glimmer of hope.

Received 7/12

SFG 9/2

GEI :wishluck:

Just had a 25-book pre-screen go from received on 3/9 to shipped today. Love the quick TAT on that one, but it would be nice to see some consistency as there are older submissions still at SFG.

On 3/11/2022 at 8:31 PM, JollyComics said:

Mine too.

Received 7/12

SFG 10/21

Value is ahead of Economy??  That is weird.

This whole TaT fiasco is weird! No rhyme or reason to this madness.

On 3/11/2022 at 7:35 PM, djzombi said:

No, it's not.  "Value" submissions are so old, it's not even a category anymore  xD

Yes, it was eliminated after I used it last year.  I used all standard, modern, economy and value tier except Express and Walkthrough.  I got my graded books after Modern and Standard and I expected to get my books back after Economy tier but it went opposite. Value came early before Economy.  All books were received on 8/21/2021.

On 3/11/2022 at 7:35 PM, universal soldier said:

This whole TaT fiasco is weird! No rhyme or reason to this madness.

Based on last couple years experience and feedback in this thread,I  think I've reversed engineered internal processes that make most sense as to why TATs are so weird. 

I believe that once books are SFG, they are assigned to a specific grader or queue a grader works from. Back in the day when books were RCVD, waited, then went SFG - it made it more predictable. Now they are SFG as soon as opened, it introduces more time for scheduling weirdness to happen. Case in point:

Your books assigned to Grader A, mine arrived two weeks later but assigned to Grader B. Over next few weeks, Grader A could go on vacation or have extended illness. Grader A could also be training which slows him down as he explains processes and such. Since it's not true FIFO workflow but for how it goes thru the assigned guy, my books are completed before yours due to your assigned Grader's schedule. 

We know MAGAZINE is weird due to equipment. They may be graded, but only slabbing like 2 days a month. If your graded magazine isn't slabbed then, it has to wait till next month's window. I think VALUE/ECONOMY is similar. Like they arent graded throughout, but once a month some dedicated group is set to work on just ECONOMY for a couple days which is why TATs can drop precipitously, then go back up just as fast and some "beat" TAT by a lot or wait a full month longer than estimated. 

FAST TRACK is weird and I can't explain readily. Maybe it's a couple grader's dedicated to just FAST and it's a shorter queue. Or just as likely, when FAST TRACK is checked in, they assume the period of time that tier has jumped and stuff it into middle of group of comics checked in couple months ago instead of back of line. Since that implies it's arbitrarily being put into middle of line, could explain why mine beat yours despite arriving after. 

The thing that blows up all of above is the warp speed lottery when books get shuffled to second facility or new grader/shorter work queue that has then flipped inside couple weeks. That's a true "no rhyme or reason."

Anyway, that's what I picture. While our books checked in same day, Your books beat mine because my assigned grader had weird schedule that put him behind on his assignments. 

On 3/12/2022 at 10:31 AM, Jaywalker0 said:

Based on last couple years experience and feedback in this thread,I  think I've reversed engineered internal processes that make most sense as to why TATs are so weird. 

I believe that once books are SFG, they are assigned to a specific grader or queue a grader works from. Back in the day when books were RCVD, waited, then went SFG - it made it more predictable. Now they are SFG as soon as opened, it introduces more time for scheduling weirdness to happen. Case in point:

Your books assigned to Grader A, mine arrived two weeks later but assigned to Grader B. Over next few weeks, Grader A could go on vacation or have extended illness. Grader A could also be training which slows him down as he explains processes and such. Since it's not true FIFO workflow but for how it goes thru the assigned guy, my books are completed before yours due to your assigned Grader's schedule. 

We know MAGAZINE is weird due to equipment. They may be graded, but only slabbing like 2 days a month. If your graded magazine isn't slabbed then, it has to wait till next month's window. I think VALUE/ECONOMY is similar. Like they arent graded throughout, but once a month some dedicated group is set to work on just ECONOMY for a couple days which is why TATs can drop precipitously, then go back up just as fast and some "beat" TAT by a lot or wait a full month longer than estimated. 

FAST TRACK is weird and I can't explain readily. Maybe it's a couple grader's dedicated to just FAST and it's a shorter queue. Or just as likely, when FAST TRACK is checked in, they assume the period of time that tier has jumped and stuff it into middle of group of comics checked in couple months ago instead of back of line. Since that implies it's arbitrarily being put into middle of line, could explain why mine beat yours despite arriving after. 

The thing that blows up all of above is the warp speed lottery when books get shuffled to second facility or new grader/shorter work queue that has then flipped inside couple weeks. That's a true "no rhyme or reason."

Anyway, that's what I picture. While our books checked in same day, Your books beat mine because my assigned grader had weird schedule that put him behind on his assignments. 

You are probably right and it's probably even more unpredictable as some individual graders may work FIFO while others may grade books using no set system as CGC is backed up and know they aren't going to hit stated TATs anyway.

On 3/12/2022 at 2:53 PM, JJ-4 said:

individual graders may work FIFO while others may grade books using no set system 

Which would definitely seem to be the case with pressing. like once they come back from CCS, consensus seems to be that those don't wait the normal grading period non-press gets. Like they line jump somewhat. 

On 3/2/2022 at 9:16 AM, skybolt said:

3 out of my 4 submissions received by CCS on 4/11 went to SFG in early February and have already shipped. The last submission still hasn't moved to SFG. I want to call, but realize it's still within the 249 business day window. :(

I still have 1 of 5 subs from 4/7 still at CCS... hasn't even made it back to CGC. I will be calling on Monday. I also read your posts on the grades from your recent subs. I got 2 subs back 2-3 weeks ago. All over the place. There were a few I missed some stuff on... thats on me, but others it seemed like they were looking for perfection to get a 9.8, and a 9.8 to get a 9.6. Then there were a couple that I looked at and was like there is no way that should be graded that high. So then I have to state in my listings that I think the are over graded so I don't have to deal with returns. I just hate seeing my subs going from received back to CGC, graded, encapsulated, and shipped in 2 days time. Out of the 4 subs I've gotten back, the only one that I felt the grades were fair is the sub that took 2 1/2 months at CGC. The other 3 were received at CGC and shipped by the third day. I've kept a fair amount of the more valuable 9.4s and 9.6s and decided not to sell them because i think they are under graded. I am going to wait for this chaos to end, and resubmit them. 

On 3/12/2022 at 8:40 PM, zupaphly said:

I've kept a fair amount of the more valuable 9.4s and 9.6s and decided not to sell them because i think they are under graded. I am going to wait for this chaos to end, and resubmit them. 

I've taken the approach to just stop submitting books until the chaos ends.  No idea when that will be.  But at around $30 grading cost per book now, it just doesn't make sense to send in books that should be 9.8's and have them come back 9.4 or 9.6.  Nor do I want to have to keep such books for years and re-submit later as that just means increases storage costs and further resubmissions costs.  I've dumped all my 9.4's and 9.6's and will just sell raw when I figure I can get decent value.  And really, for newer books, selling raw is more profitable than selling graded 9.4's or 9.6's and means a lot less delay and aggravation.

On 3/13/2022 at 4:49 PM, Petroman said:

I've taken the approach to just stop submitting books until the chaos ends.  No idea when that will be.  But at around $30 grading cost per book now, it just doesn't make sense to send in books that should be 9.8's and have them come back 9.4 or 9.6.  Nor do I want to have to keep such books for years and re-submit later as that just means increases storage costs and further resubmissions costs.  I've dumped all my 9.4's and 9.6's and will just sell raw when I figure I can get decent value.  And really, for newer books, selling raw is more profitable than selling graded 9.4's or 9.6's and means a lot less delay and aggravation.

My feelings exactly.  It wasn't long ago I was spot on with grades, and now I can't believe what I get back.  We are paying more now, for lower quality grading.  I'm seeing grader notes "light spine stress" and looking at a spine that is smoother than smooth. I have another book with no spine stresses noted and there are multiple obvious stresses (which by the way were NOT there when I sent the book in) and it's a 9.6.   I also bought a CGC 9.8 book recently that shouldn't have graded a 6.0.  3 corners were all sorts of bent (no damage to case which means they let it slide). <--- Stuff like this makes me think bigger retailers get preferential grades.

Edited by optimal_max
misspelled

On 3/13/2022 at 7:05 PM, optimal_max said:

My feelings exactly.  It wasn't long ago I was spot on with grades, and now I can't believe what I get back.  We are paying more now, for lower quality grading.  I'm seeing grader notes "light spine stress" and looking at a spine that is smoother than smooth. I have another book with no spine stresses noted and there are multiple obvious stresses (which by the way were NOT there when I sent the book in) and it's a 9.6.   I also bought a CGC 9.8 book recently that shouldn't have graded a 6.0.  3 corners were all sorts of bent (no damage to case which means they let it slide). <--- Stuff like this makes me think bigger retailers get preferential grades.

Not trying to make an excuse for CGC's poor grading but... they do state that even if the comic book is cased in the slab, it doesn't prevent the comic from being damaged while inside the slab. I know from experience that if you shake a slabbed comic book vigorously enough that the comic book will move inside the slab and hit the inner wells and damage the book.

Some people call it shaken comic syndrome (SCS).