• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,035 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2022 at 6:14 PM, lonetree said:

It could be, but all 50 books were shipped together in one box.  I think it's the tale of two graders.  One was very hard on grading and the other one not.

They still have 3 graders on every book I assume.  I would be very concerned if it were just one person doing the grading. 

On 3/18/2022 at 11:17 AM, cd4ever said:

They still have 3 graders on every book I assume.  I would be very concerned if it were just one person doing the grading. 

Their website says "Grading is a team effort, with multiple CGC professionals examining every collectible to ensure accuracy and consistency. CGC's graders enter a grade for each collectible into CGC's computer system. A consensus is then reached on the final grade of the collectible.".  Not sure if means 2, 3, more.  I would guess during times of high submissions, it is more likely to be 2.  Still, given the OP's very poor grades on one batch vs. the other it truly makes you wonder whether there are even 2 graders.  I saw similar with a few of my subs last year so have just decided to stop submitting for a while.  Getting back modern books at 9.2 or less is just a complete waste of money (and time).

• Administrator
Type of Collectible What is Guaranteed
Comic books, magazines, lobby cards, and concert posters (non-CGC Signature Series) (excluding collectibles encapsulated in the red CGC Memorabilia Label)
  • The Collectible has been inspected by at least two (2) professionals
  • The Collectible is authentic
CGC Signature Series (any label) comic books, magazines, and concert posters
  • The Collectible is authentic
  • The designated witnessed signature(s) on the Collectible are authentic
(Note: In the case of the yellow / green CGC Signatures Series Qualified Label, this Guarantee does not apply to any unwitnessed signatures.)
CGC Signature Series (any label) prints, sketches, and photographs
  • The designated witnessed signature(s) on the Collectible (BUT NOT the Collectible itself) are authentic
(Note: In the case of the yellow / green CGC Signature Series Qualified Grade Label, this Guarantee does not apply to any unwitnessed signatures.)

November Modern Slow Boat Shipment
Shipped to CGC                 11/12
Delivered to CGC               11/15
‘Received’ by CGC             11/17 (2 business days later / 2 business days so far)
Scheduled for Grading       11/17 (0 business days later / 2 business days so far)
Credit Card Charged          02/15 (57 business days later / 59 business days so far)
Grading / Encapsulation     03/17 (21 business days later / 80 business days so far)
Grading / Quality Control    03/17 (0 business days later / 80 business days so far)
Shipped                              03/18 (1 business day later / 81 business days total)

Much quicker than the stated turnaround times.
Although, my October Modern Slow Boat shipment has been stuck at G/QC since 1/18 with multiple emails sent and no follow through.
(it is currently at 114 business days since delivered...which is still within stated turnaround times...)

Edited by Troy Division

On 3/18/2022 at 8:17 AM, cd4ever said:

Sorry but I do not buy that 3 graders look at EVERY book. Maybe on Golden, Silver and Bronze but on a brand new modern book I highly doubt 3 graders are looking at it and counting the pages. Just my personal opinion. They are not very transparent so until I see proof I am going to assume moderns are looked at by 1-2 people at most.

On 3/18/2022 at 10:15 AM, Jaywalker0 said:

I used to have to do what @Stefan_Wand @Tnexus suggested, which is hold at local distribution hub for a Will Call pickup since I was never home. Then had delivered to work a few times until TAT got so long I was like "what if I'm fired?" Then I stumbled upon the real fix! Rent a mailbox service.  

Yeah it can be $200-400 a year, but someone is always there to sign for packages and they hold till I pick up and it works for anything I online order. Never again have I received damage to comics crammed in mailbox or stuff stolen from porch. Very, very handy and worth it. Bear in mind, you want Mailbox, NOT PO Box - since PO Box will only accept USPS. Mailbox service accepts from all carriers. Look for mailbox rental at UPS Store, Mailbox+, or similiar.

Good luck

True, about the "what if I'm fired" thing.

Thank you all for the suggestions. This helps and puts me more at ease now especially when TATs are getting harder to align with my schedule now and in the future.

My final Value went to GEI and my other Shipped.  I have had several older submissions finishing up in the past couple weeks. Nice! 

image.thumb.png.7274240357c6084dd38c3b7af2873a23.png

1 George Perez Signature Series w/ Pressing

1/28: Delivered to CGC

2/22: Received at CCS

1 Brian Michael Bendis/Mark Bagley Signature Series w/Pressing

1/28: Delivered to CGC

3/3: Received at CCS

1 Chris Claremont Signature Series w/Pressing

3/17: Delivered to CGC

Still no email pertaining to my Perez book.  I just want it returned.  The book meant nothing to me unless it had his signature on it.

On 3/18/2022 at 4:11 PM, Jethro66 said:

I have 23 books in Modern SFG since 08/02/21. Does this sound right? First time I've submitted to CGC...

Looking at the post above yours, I would think your submission is late. I'd call CGC.

On 3/18/2022 at 3:11 PM, Jethro66 said:

I have 23 books in Modern SFG since 08/02/21. Does this sound right? First time I've submitted to CGC...

Yikes! Unless you opted for CCS pressing beforehand, that makes no sense.

For reference, I've had everything "Received" by CGC up through 11/8 graded and shipped. Includes 3x Sept, 2x Oct, and 2x Nov orders so far. 

Wow, CCS pressing for slow modern is now at 281 business days, and they still haven't reached the late April / early May price change submission period. I may have to change my prediction from 300 to 400 business days.