• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,049 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2022 at 6:09 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah glad I asked then :)

Technically I hope not, it was uf4 that always needs a press due to polybag, but the 1st I sent it in I neglected to do that. I basically sent it in for a press, but might as well add a signature.

I'm hoping for a bump, was a 9.0... :wishluck:

Yeah , this signing was a mandatory send all your  UF4/UCS to get your book pressed for a discount on value fee.

On 4/19/2022 at 8:21 PM, catch21 said:

Yeah , this signing was a mandatory send all your  UF4/UCS to get your book pressed for a discount on value fee.

Don't forget quicker tat, it's a gimmick, but it is useful while it lasts :shy:

And we're talking 1 book, 6 months isnt cutting it lol

I chose bagely over CRAIN or whomever, idk, I didnt own his sig yet, but meh

On 4/19/2022 at 6:24 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Don't forget quicker tat, it's a gimmick, but it is useful while it lasts :shy:

And we're talking 1 book, 6 months isnt cutting it lol

I chose bagely over CRAIN or whomever, idk, I didnt own his sig yet, but meh

You didn't get Bendis?

On 4/19/2022 at 8:40 PM, catch21 said:

You didn't get Bendis?

Unfortunately no, saving for a con and didnt go for gold :(

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/19/2022 at 3:53 PM, joeypost said:

Maybe I need to reword my question. 

is anyone getting regular economy books back? And if yes, what day were they received.

Thanks. 

Mailed books mid June of last year. They were "received" 2 months later and are still waiting to be pressed.

Alright, well it took what felt like ages, but got my Modern Pre-screen submission back in the mail today. Submitted to my presser April 30th, 2021, and received at CGC on November 11th. Shipped April 11th and 12th. Mostly 9.6 pre-screens with some 9.4s in there for a few I knew were not 9.8s

39 comics in total:
-9 rejects
-9 in 9.6s
-21 in 9.8s

Overall pretty happy with the grades. I'd say based on my notes, it hit my expected targets. Two tracked higher than I hoped, and two lower than I hoped, so that balanced out. The rejects were a mixed bag. Four of the rejects look to make sense after review, one of them I don't know why it was rejected, two looked like they were never pressed by my presser, another had indentations like from a pen mark that were definitely not there before, and the final one has either an adhesive or pencil mark on it that also was not there before. I probably will resubmit two rejects and one 9.6 for a regrade.

I also noticed two 9.8s having minor creases that break color that must have happened post grading. Not immediately noticeable, but also pretty much 9.8s killers on a normal day. Not sure what to do about that.

Slabs were overall in good condition. A handful had a Nike "Swoosh" scuff on the back, but most were scratch and damage free.

My order that CGC received last week is complete and being shipped out today. Some of these grades really have me shaking my head as my notes of possible issues do not match some of the grader notes and I actually did get some grader notes this go around on at least 4 books and the walkthrough which always gets notes.

• 5x 9.8's (My walkthrough received a 9.8)
  • 4x 9.6's
  • 5x 9.4's
  • 3x 9.2's
  • 3x 9.0's
  • 1x 8.5

Two of the 9.0's have me really baffled as there was light color rub probably the size of the staple in the back of both of these books, and nothing else wrong. Both of them were Star Wars Darth Vader #1 and #3. The Vader #3 has me so baffled because I had another Vader #1 in this batch with same issue that got a 9.6 (which is respectable).

Two of the 9.4's should have been a 9.6 and the other for sure a 9.8 as it was very good shape after I pressed and cleaned it.

Then I had another book get a 9.8 which I thought would hit a 9.4-9.6 as it had a noticeable white spec on the cover (the cover was all black).

Would you guys recommend at least trying to get the Vader #3 cracked/repressed and sent back in for grading as I do feel it can hit a 9.6 at least?

Overall, some of the 9.0's, 9.2's, and 9.4's were warranted as these were a bit older books and they aligned with the grades I had listed out before submitting.

Looks like submitting comics is kind of like playing Yahtzee...  You roll a bunch of books through the process, and keep the ones you like, re-rolling the ones you don't in hopes of getting ones you like next time.  And CGC, like good fair dice should, accommodates the Yahtzee players by often giving them better (or worse) grades the second (or third) time they're rolled, keeping the excitement for the game as keen as can be.

On 4/20/2022 at 12:12 PM, Axe Elf said:

Looks like submitting comics is kind of like playing Yahtzee...  You roll a bunch of books through the process, and keep the ones you like, re-rolling the ones you don't in hopes of getting ones you like next time.  And CGC, like good fair dice should, accommodates the Yahtzee players by often giving them better (or worse) grades the second (or third) time they're rolled, keeping the excitement for the game as keen as can be.

I think you are 150% correct on that. It is like rolling the dice each time we send stuff over there and who knows how the grader is feeling that day. It is crazy to think that sometimes people have to play that game of doing multiple submissions in hope they can get a better grade.

I have another 21 book submission waiting here for UPS to pickup, and it has me a bit concerned what these will come back as. I even have my ASM 238 in this box, so I'm hoping that it at least gets a good grade as I pressed and cleaned the hell out of this one. I even have a magnifying glass with light and black light that I use before finalizing these books, so I know what is wrong with these books before they head over there.

On 4/20/2022 at 12:12 PM, Axe Elf said:

This is 100% accurate. I had one submission late last year that had 12 rejects on a 9.8 pre screen. I did nothing to those 12 books and resent them in for another 9.8 pre screen. They all came back 9.8 except for one in the next batch. I guess CGC made an extra $100 off of me in the process from the reject fees. 

On 4/20/2022 at 2:05 PM, Bighaley21 said:

This is 100% accurate. I had one submission late last year that had 12 rejects on a 9.8 pre screen. I did nothing to those 12 books and resent them in for another 9.8 pre screen. They all came back 9.8 except for one in the next batch. I guess CGC made an extra $100 off of me in the process from the reject fees. 

This inconsistency needs to be corrected by CGC as soon as possible. Something like this should not happen.

On 4/20/2022 at 2:15 PM, skybolt said:

This inconsistency needs to be corrected by CGC as soon as possible. Something like this should not happen.

I completely agree, but unfortunately CGC doesn't see it this way , as this gets them piles of cash.. :sorry:

On 4/20/2022 at 2:05 PM, Bighaley21 said:

On 4/20/2022 at 2:15 PM, skybolt said:

That is so wrong of them to do that and make it to where you have to resubmit books in order to get the grade that the book deserves only for them to keep making money off of the customer. Like I said earlier, from my point of view, I know the flaws that some of my books had......yet some of their notes were so off. Nothing will change with them as long as they keep getting the business. We needed someone like a CBCS to step up their game a bit more and get themselves on equal footing for this to stop.

One modern book had a grader note - "light creasing to cover", yet the grader proceeded to give this a 9.0. I've had other books with the same only grader note get a 9.6. It's like WTF.

Edited by captainzombie

On 4/20/2022 at 2:36 PM, captainzombie said:

That is so wrong of them to do that and make it to where you have to resubmit books in order to get the grade that the book deserves only for them to keep making money off of the customer. Like I said earlier, from my point of view, I know the flaws that some of my books had......yet some of their notes were so off. Nothing will change with them as long as they keep getting the business. We needed someone like a CBCS to step up their game a bit more and get themselves on equal footing for this to stop.

One modern book had a grader note - "light creasing to cover", yet the grader proceeded to give this a 9.0. I've had other books with the same only grader note get a 9.6. It's like WTF.

It could also be a case of CGC grading books more harshly these days (in certain cases) to reduce the glut of high grade copies hitting the market all at the same time. For example, if all of sudden 10 times as many copies of Batman #500 are submitted for grading, this could potentially kill the market for this issue if 10 times as many 9.8 copies hit EBay all at the same time. If that happens then less people will submit this particular issue in the future since the return value would have dropped significantly. 

This is even more evident for books like ASM #300 and 361. I have two 9.8 copies of ASM #361, which I purchased already graded about 5 years ago. Since that time, I've owned better looking raw high grade copies, but can't get a 9.8 for the life of me.

On 4/20/2022 at 1:20 PM, skybolt said:

It could also be a case of CGC grading books more harshly these days (in certain cases) to reduce the glut of high grade copies hitting the market all at the same time. For example, if all of sudden 10 times as many copies of Batman #500 are submitted for grading, this could potentially kill the market for this issue if 10 times as many 9.8 copies hit EBay all at the same time. If that happens then less people will submit this particular issue in the future since the return value would have dropped significantly. 

This is even more evident for books like ASM #300 and 361. I have two 9.8 copies of ASM #361, which I purchased already graded about 5 years ago. Since that time, I've owned better looking raw high grade copies, but can't get a 9.8 for the life of me.

I think this makes a lot of sense.  And the added bonus they churn extra submission as folks chase the higher grades.

The one thing that would benefit everyone is consistency in grading and that is the thing that seems to be lacking.

On 4/20/2022 at 3:31 PM, Beastfeast said:

I know it's fun to be conspiratorial but it makes a lot more sense that there are either new graders or CGC is juking us with their standards.  There's been several periods of soft or hard graders.  Looks like we're in a tough one, now. 

I don't think "soft" or "hard" grading would bother me much if it was across the board--but it seems crazy to me that people can just keep re-submitting the same books and get a 9.0 one time and a 9.6 the next time and then an 8.5 when they send it in hoping for a 9.8 instead of the 9.6.  That removes the standard of objectivity as well.

Soft or hard, it should ideally be consistent across graders who are contemporaries.