• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,128 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2022 at 3:23 PM, skybolt said:

Yes, I was billed on 1/6/2022 along with 3 other submissions. The other 3 submissions were pressed and graded 2 months ago, but this one is still lingering. I contacted CGC 2 weeks ago and they told me the books are currently being pressed. Not sure why this is taking longer than the others.

Interesting, I have 2 modern and 1 economy submissions that were Received at CCS since 7/27.  They've disappeared from my dashboard, and I haven't been charged yet. 

On 4/21/2022 at 12:22 PM, captainzombie said:

Not sure how you guys feel about YouTuber's like Bry's Comics, but he is discussing the topic we have been discussing for the last few days. He is seeing some of the same things we are talking about.

Well, I'm glad I got the more optimistic grader for what turned out to be a 9.8 New Mutants 98 last month..it had a few of those  spine indentations (not color breaks) and some of the white on the cover oxidized to off white 

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 4/21/2022 at 2:22 PM, captainzombie said:

Not sure how you guys feel about YouTuber's like Bry's Comics, but he is discussing the topic we have been discussing for the last few days. He is seeing some of the same things we are talking about.

Not sure if I want to buy books off of this guy. He keeps talking about his personally pressed books potentially reverting back to original form (right before slabbing) like it's a common thing. :( 

On 4/21/2022 at 12:44 PM, Still Only 20¢ said:

Interesting, I have 2 modern and 1 economy submissions that were Received at CCS since 7/27.  They've disappeared from my dashboard, and I haven't been charged yet. 

FWIW I have modern slow track CCS and modern magazine slow track CCS subs marked as “received” by CCS on 7/16, just before they fell off the page they changed to “CCS in process” and now that they are no longer on the submission page but I was charged on 3/3 for the CCS services. Now when I search for those submissions manually I get this: “Your submission is in the “Received” status. Line item detail is not yet available.”

I’m assuming this means they’re now received status at CGC and done with CCS? Also of note I have several other submissions of modern slow track CCS received 8/17 also fell off the submission page but not yet charged and they never went to CCS in Process before falling off the submission page. 

On 4/21/2022 at 6:27 PM, wiparker824 said:

FWIW I have modern slow track CCS and modern magazine slow track CCS subs marked as “received” by CCS on 7/16, just before they fell off the page they changed to “CCS in process” and now that they are no longer on the submission page but I was charged on 3/3 for the CCS services. Now when I search for those submissions manually I get this: “Your submission is in the “Received” status. Line item detail is not yet available.”

I’m assuming this means they’re now received status at CGC and done with CCS? Also of note I have several other submissions of modern slow track CCS received 8/17 also fell off the submission page but not yet charged and they never went to CCS in Process before falling off the submission page. 

I think you are correct on the mags, although its unfortunate that they didnt get bumped back to the top of the submission page (shrug)

I had noticed that it might not on my own, mentioned it, but no one elses had been as long to affirm with me.

I'm soon to have more fall off, supposedly econ may be worked around July or September. Again not enough posters, cgc rep told me that fwiw.

On 4/21/2022 at 4:04 PM, Ed Hanes said:

Well, I'm glad I got the more optimistic grader for what turned out to be a 9.8 New Mutants 98 last month..it had a few of those  spine indentations (not color breaks) and some of the white on the cover oxidized to off white 

I had a New Mutants 98 that I submitted last month, and there was some small issues with it on the cover. I did submit that as a walkthough and it ended up getting a 9.8 with OWTW pages. The pages were not off white, but I will take the 9.8.

Edited by captainzombie

On 4/21/2022 at 6:42 PM, skybolt said:

Not sure if I want to buy books off of this guy. He keeps talking about his personally pressed books potentially reverting back to original form (right before slabbing) like it's a common thing. :( 

Reversion is definitely a thing, especially if you do no use some degree of moisture during pressing.  Personally I've always wondered what degree of reversion, if any, you have with something like a quick press at CCS.  Don't know anything about how good a presser this guy is, but I guess that if you're looking to monetize a $60k investment quickly you are pretty much quick pressing most of the collection and just hoping for the best on the grades.  Spend a decent amount of time and care on the top 10% and then just press, submit and dump the rest of the cr@p.

Edited by Petroman

On 4/21/2022 at 7:27 PM, wiparker824 said:

@wiparker824, when I search for any of my three outstanding submissions manually, I receive the same message as you stated above.

Do you get this same message if you search for any of the 8/17 submissions manually?  Thx,

On 4/21/2022 at 7:36 PM, Petroman said:

Reversion is definitely a thing, especially if you do no use some degree of moisture during pressing.  Personally I've always wondered what degree of reversion, if any, you have with something like a quick press at CCS.  Don't know anything about how good a presser this guy is, but I guess that if you're looking to monetize a $60k investment quickly you are pretty much quick pressing most of the collection and just hoping for the best on the grades.  Spend a decent amount of time and care on the top 10% and then just press, submit and dump the rest of the cr@p.

I have books in my collection that were pressed by CCS almost 10 years ago and haven't noticed any reversion. My concern with this guy is what if the books reverted after getting graded and sold. He makes it sound like it's a normal thing.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:21 PM, skybolt said:

I have books in my collection that were pressed by CCS almost 10 years ago and haven't noticed any reversion. My concern with this guy is what if the books reverted after getting graded and sold. He makes it sound like it's a normal thing.

I'm sure that it does happen a bit, especially when the grading timeframes are shorter.  Not sure how long reversion takes, and depending on environmental factors such as humidity it may never even occur.  But yeah, that is a bit scary if a book can be graded and then reverts to something that would be graded lower.  Not much you can do about it I guess, and definitely not something the grader could do anything about.  I've definitely seen some 9.8 at cons that I scratch my head at as there are clearly visible flaws that, at least to me, would render the book lower than a 9.8.  Who knows, maybe the fact that a defect *could* be pressed out makes it less of a defect in some grader's eyes.  Hard to know what the grading standards are really, and it seems they can vary quite a bit between grader anyway.

Edited by Petroman
typo

On 4/21/2022 at 7:45 PM, Petroman said:

I'm sure that it does happen a bit, especially when the grading timeframes are shorter.  Not sure how long reversion takes, and depending on environmental factors such as humidity it may never even occur.  But yeah, that is a bit scary if a book can be graded and then reverts to something that would be graded lower.  Not much you can do about it I guess, and definitely not something the grader could do anything about.  I've definitely seen some 9.8 at cons that I scratch my head at as there are clearly visible flaws that, at least to me, would render the book lower than a 9.8.  Who knows, maybe the fact that a defect *could* be pressed out makes it less of a defect in some grader's eyes.  Hard to know what the grading standards are really, and it seems they can vary quite a bit between grader anyway.

I have books I pressed 16 years ago that have no reversion. Reversion happens when shortcuts are taken. If the book is pressed properly and is allowed the time needed before sending in for grading it should not revert unless exposed to extreme conditions. Even an un-pressed book will look significantly worse if exposed to high levels of humidity or heat. 

Edited by joeypost

On 4/21/2022 at 8:45 PM, Petroman said:

I think that there is also a lot of people that did get their books cleaned and pressed by a third party last year. They sent them in to CGC with Modern slow track and those books have sat there for 6-12 months to be graded, so I can see where some books could have reversion for sure. Who knows the temps/climate inside the warehouse where they store these books is in. Then also add if shortcuts were taken by the person pressing the books.

A few weeks ago I ended up ordering a second press and 4 cold plates from Immaculate Comics to extend the process of having these books sitting in a press much longer.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:21 PM, skybolt said:

Considering he bought a $60K collection, I bet he probably tried to take some short cuts so he can try and quickly flip most of these books to get his money back. I do follow him on YT and he has quite a decent number of presses at his shop + he hired on another person to help with the cleaning and pressing. If these books that he pressed from before August/September, and he sent them in around October and they started coming back now. Consider these have been sitting there for months after doing a quick press on most, if not all, these books can get messed up.

Once CCS does a press and clean, do the books go right to grading or do they sit there for months?

Edited by captainzombie

On 4/21/2022 at 10:12 PM, captainzombie said:

I think that there is also a lot of people that did get their books cleaned and pressed by a third party last year. They sent them in to CGC with Modern slow track and those books have sat there for 6-12 months to be graded, so I can see where some books could have reversion for sure. Who knows the temps/climate inside the warehouse where they store these books is in. Then also add if shortcuts were taken by the person pressing the books.

A few weeks ago I ended up ordering a second press and 4 cold plates from Immaculate Comics to extend the process of having these books sitting in a press much longer.

Considering he bought a $60K collection, I bet he probably tried to take some short cuts so he can try and quickly flip most of these books to get his money back. I do follow him on YT and he has quite a decent number of presses at his shop + he hired on another person to help with the cleaning and pressing. If these books that he pressed from before August/September, and he sent them in around October and they started coming back now. Consider these have been sitting there for months after doing a quick press on most, if not all, these books can get messed up.

Once CCS does a press and clean, do the books go right to grading or do they sit there for months?

Totally agree with what you say.  If reversion is going to happen it will still take some time.  A few years back, when grading was in 1-2 months, it would probably not be enough time for an improperly pressed book to revert.  But when these times go to 6+ months, and potentially with adverse conditions that could affect reversion, e.g. humidity, then there is a much greater chance that there would be some reversion when the grader inspects the book. 

I've never used CCS but would really love to know how well their quick press works as I know I've worked on many, many books that require multiple pressings to remove defects and the word "quick" is not one I would use to describe this process!

On 4/21/2022 at 5:55 PM, Still Only 20¢ said:

@wiparker824, when I search for any of my three outstanding submissions manually, I receive the same message as you stated above.

Do you get this same message if you search for any of the 8/17 submissions manually?  Thx,

Yep. Same message. Really feels like slow track CCS is going to be at least a full calendar year in TAT keeping in mind these actually shipped to CGC 6 weeks or so prior to these “received” dates, that’s just when they checked them into their system. 

On 4/21/2022 at 12:20 PM, Stefan_W said:

The box was opened in average time (about 2 weeks or so), but things are moving super fast now. 

15 Fast Track Moderns 

SFG 19 Apr 2022

Just shifted to G/E/I 21 Apr 2022

Moved to Grading/QC on Apr 22.

This one has been super fast even for fast track. 

On 4/22/2022 at 9:02 AM, Stefan_W said:

Moved to Grading/QC on Apr 22.

This one has been super fast even for fast track. 

Yes, they are moving very fast. The package of books I sent and they received yesterday, are already at SFG as of yesterday. Granted one of those books is a walkthrough, they are plowing through these and that is what scares me, because is that what's causing some of the funky grading.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:46 PM, Petroman said:

Totally agree with what you say.  If reversion is going to happen it will still take some time.  A few years back, when grading was in 1-2 months, it would probably not be enough time for an improperly pressed book to revert.  But when these times go to 6+ months, and potentially with adverse conditions that could affect reversion, e.g. humidity, then there is a much greater chance that there would be some reversion when the grader inspects the book. 

I've never used CCS but would really love to know how well their quick press works as I know I've worked on many, many books that require multiple pressings to remove defects and the word "quick" is not one I would use to describe this process!

Based on past experience with CGC / CCS, here are my two cents:

- Does CGC damage books in their possession from time to time? I would say the chances are remote (since it hasn't happened to me yet), but others have had issues in the past.

- I would be shocked if CGC or CCS stores books in non optimal, humid type conditions. Again, I've had books sitting at CGC/CCS for 6 months to a year and haven't noticed any new creases resulting from temperature variations.

- CCS Quick Press is definitely a hit or miss. I think they do a great job on 1980's type covers, but would not recommend using quick press for hard stock or thicker type books. This includes books like Adventures of Superman 500, the collector editions of the various Superman returns books from 1993, collector editions of Uncanny X-Men #316/317, thick wraparound covers, etc. If you send these books to CCS using quick press, you'll likely get them back in their original non pressed condition. That being said, they have done a good job with foil type covers like Punisher 2099 #1. On a side note, I was really impressed with a Spectacular Spider-Man #117 I sent to CCS a few months. It literally had about 20 light bends and creases on the cover, and all of them were removed with the quick press, resulting in a 9.8 copy.

- IMO, I  believe that most of the books that come back with creases after being pressed by a 3rd party are either due to minor creases or bends missed during pressing or as Joey mentioned in a previous post, the books were not allowed to take shape after pressing and before sending to CGC. In all honesty, perhaps this is the one benefit of having books sitting at CGC for such long periods. If the pressing job was bad, then at least the books would revert back to their original form BEFORE being slabbed. 

On 4/22/2022 at 9:15 AM, captainzombie said:

Yes, they are moving very fast. The package of books I sent and they received yesterday, are already at SFG as of yesterday. Granted one of those books is a walkthrough, they are plowing through these and that is what scares me, because is that what's causing some of the funky grading.

Going to SFG quickly is not a concern. When it goes from SFG to grading to Q/C to shipped in a matter of hours, then the grades will likely be lower than expected.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:15 AM, captainzombie said:

I haven't noticed any dropoff in expected grades as the speed has gone up. I did have a book come back earlier this week that was in the reject box even though it was listed as making the 9.8 pre-screen. I can live with some human error though as long as it is uncommon and they fix the mistake for me.