• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,038 posts in this topic

On 6/1/2022 at 12:47 PM, ramrodcar said:

If you've already been charged, it shouldn't be long at all for them to go into grading.

That’s not necessarily true, at least not anymore. My last non-ME sub - Received: January 18; CC Charged: February 16 (was SFG for at least another month); Shipped April 26

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 6/2/2022 at 12:04 AM, ramrodcar said:

well TIL, every submission I've done in recent memory has had GEI start within two weeks of being charged.

That had been my experience as well. Consistency has gone out the window. 

Next week will be 1 year since I shipped my order. It's still waiting to be pressed. Should I email them?

At this point, I regret sending them in. 5 or 6 of them are more recent Marvel issues and they easily rub off on back boards and other issues. If they''re not properly stored, there's a good chance they're no longer 9.8 or 9.6's.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:12 AM, awakeintheashes said:

That had been my experience as well. Consistency has gone out the window. 

I do wonder if they have started charging much earlier in the process as a way to stop people from submitting too many books at once and thereby reducing their backlogs and TATs.  For those looking to grade and sell this would be a pretty effective strategy IMHO.  Heck, throw in the fact that you may get horrible grades on some of your submissions, and thus effectively waste a large percent of the grading cost, and it really looks pretty risky to have paid for lots of submissions up front not knowing what kind of grades you'll get.  This would be especially true for MODERN subs where books graded less than 9.6 may be pretty much un-sellable (well at least at a profit or even cost).  Reminder to self:  start using PRESCREEN!

When you have a submission go from "Grading/Quality Control" to "Quality Control/Finalized" and then back to "Grading/Quality Control". Does that mean that there was some kind of issue found during QC that needs to be reviewed?

On 6/2/2022 at 9:16 AM, captainzombie said:

When you have a submission go from "Grading/Quality Control" to "Quality Control/Finalized" and then back to "Grading/Quality Control". Does that mean that there was some kind of issue found during QC that needs to be reviewed?

It's possible, but I've had a few instances where the designation (as noted above) has changed back and forth within 10 minutes. 

On 6/2/2022 at 10:19 AM, joeypost said:

Who wants to be the hero?

what good would it be? no one is getting anything back, nothing to update

then they could just ignore that thread as well

it's like the comic selling on ebay thread...if people have updates they should post them but in the meantime you get a lot of wondering and waiting

Is it just me, or is the wait to move from G/E/I to QC taking longer than it did a couple of months ago? My orders were typically moving between these stages in a day or so, but the past three orders have sat for a week before being graded and shipped out. 

No biggie for me either way, I just like to know so I know how often to check in to see what the grades are. They are still beating promised TATs on modern books by a pretty decent margin. 

On 6/2/2022 at 9:20 AM, skybolt said:

It's possible, but I've had a few instances where the designation (as noted above) has changed back and forth within 10 minutes. 

Okay makes sense. There are 25 books in this submission, so there is more room for error for sure. This kind of stuff they don't explain under their Status Explanations in great detail since there are more stages than they show for Quality Control.

Edited by captainzombie

On 6/2/2022 at 10:23 AM, Stefan_W said:

Is it just me, or is the wait to move from G/E/I to QC taking longer than it did a couple of months ago? My orders were typically moving between these stages in a day or so, but the past three orders have sat for a week before being graded and shipped out. 

No biggie for me either way, I just like to know so I know how often to check in to see what the grades are. They are still beating promised TATs on modern books by a pretty decent margin. 

My last submission that shipped back to me on 4/26 took about a week to move from GEI to QC. It felt like weeks, though. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 6/2/2022 at 6:24 AM, Petroman said:

I do wonder if they have started charging much earlier in the process as a way to stop people from submitting too many books at once and thereby reducing their backlogs and TATs.  For those looking to grade and sell this would be a pretty effective strategy IMHO.  Heck, throw in the fact that you may get horrible grades on some of your submissions, and thus effectively waste a large percent of the grading cost, and it really looks pretty risky to have paid for lots of submissions up front not knowing what kind of grades you'll get.  This would be especially true for MODERN subs where books graded less than 9.6 may be pretty much un-sellable (well at least at a profit or even cost).  Reminder to self:  start using PRESCREEN!

Whether intentional or not, it does appear that CGC tends to grade tighter during busier times vs. being more lenient when submissions are low. It could also be a case of grading the same issue fatigue. For example, if during a 2 week period a grader sees 3 high grade copies of Batman #500 during low submission times, they are more likely to grade all 3 as 9.8 vs. seeing 50 copies of the same book during high submission periods. What I mean is that if a grader receives 10 pristine copies of Batman #500 and grades them all as 9.8, they are less likely to give slightly less presentable copies the same grade, even if technically they are still 9.8's. It's sort of like a professor taking a step back and grading more harshly when 90% of the class is getting A's.

The bi-product of this approach would also benefit CGC, since A.) buyers of these harshly graded books may decide to resubmit to CGC during slower times, B.) there aren't 100 9.8 copies of the same book hitting the market at the same time, which would suppress the value and result in less future submissions, and C.) when grading more leniently during slower periods, people are more likely to submit their books.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:23 AM, Stefan_W said:

This is actually the best case scenario if you want your books graded by an experienced grader. The ones that fly through the G/E/I, QC, Shipped process are the ones that tend to be graded more harshly.

On 6/2/2022 at 10:48 AM, skybolt said:

This is actually the best case scenario if you want your books graded by an experienced grader. The ones that fly through the G/E/I, QC, Shipped process are the ones that tend to be graded more harshly.

I have not noticed anything to support that argument in the groups of books I have sent in. Some of the ones I sent in that were graded faster were graded harshly, others were not, and the same is true for the ones that took longer. 

On 6/1/2022 at 7:21 PM, Stefan_W said:

Just got back from a short holiday and there was some movement on a couple of orders while I was away.

Fast track submission with 9 moderns:

SFG - 5/25/2022, G/E/I - 5/27/2022, QC and shipped on 6/01/2022 (generally good but two results were head scratchers)

Slow Track submission with 25 moderns at a 9.8 pre-screen:

SFG - 3/18/2022, G/E/I - 5/27/2022, no other movement yet. 

The slow track pre-screen hit QC today, 2 June 2022. 

On 7/30/2021 at 5:10 PM, PKJ said:

Turnaround Times Comparison 

Tier                               6-4                  6-27                 7-8                   7-20                 7-30

Modern                         82 Days          94 Days          116 Days          144 Days        102 Days

Economy                      113 Days        131 Days        153 Days          173 Days        157 Days

Standard                       51 Days          74 Days          95 Days           101 Days        112 Days

Express                         11 Days          15 Days          20 Days             15 Days        23 Days

Walk Through                3 Days            3 Days            7 Days                8 Days        12 Days

Reholder                        52 Days          76 Days          90 Days            100 Days      99 Days

Ironically I had another WT get lost or hung up, was a prescreen (so understood that delay was going to put it in the 25 day range) and has been there since 6-8 still showing received so results may vary.

To pile on the Economy bandwagon. A year ago the TAT was almost half of what it is today, but got worse over the next 45 days.

My Economy Books made it to Joey in March of Last year and are in the 8-12 SFG group that has not moved. 

All of my submission have now gone through to Shipping, except the WK which I think will probably be later today. Out of 28 submitted books, there was 21 x 9.8s, 3 x 9.6s, 2 x 9.4s, and 1 x 9.2. I am still waiting to see what this WK gets as a grade. It is so odd with the 9.2 and 9.4s as I had these at 9.8 and would not of even sent them in if I thought they would be lower than a 9.6. On the flip side, many of the 9.8s that I had graded a little lower due to some possible issues that I noticed after pressing and cleaning these books ended up grading higher. Some of this is just so odd with how this grading occurs over there.