• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,066 posts in this topic

I give up. CGC has worn me out. They win..........They lost my packages a year ago, took two months and the threat of filing an insurance claim to get all my money back and they miraculously found the missing packages! I moved in June of this year and had to notify them in writing of the change of address. They told me it was good to go. I call to verify they actually did change it and they had not? So, they copied me on an email that the change was in fact complete.Three weeks ago I get a text my one order is shipped and on the way, but to my old address. I called to complain and they see the "error" was on their end and they will "recall" the package. They never did. I called a week ago and they say they have the package and it will be sent to my new address. It never was sent. I called today and they claim it was waiting for me to pick up at the wrong  address and I never notified them of my address change, the one I have in writing from them! They sent me an email a minute ago telling me I have to pay $25.00 reshipping fee and I need to give them a new address? I guess the emails and phones calls for the past three months had no bearing on anything. I told them to keep the books since they want them that bad, they win. I will call in a few days to file an insurance claim with CGC. The insured/declared value of books are worth more than the actual books themselves. The worst customer service, the worst. 

On 9/8/2022 at 11:07 AM, nochips said:

I give up. CGC has worn me out. They win..........They lost my packages a year ago, took two months and the threat of filing an insurance claim to get all my money back and they miraculously found the missing packages! I moved in June of this year and had to notify them in writing of the change of address. They told me it was good to go. I call to verify they actually did change it and they had not? So, they copied me on an email that the change was in fact complete.Three weeks ago I get a text my one order is shipped and on the way, but to my old address. I called to complain and they see the "error" was on their end and they will "recall" the package. They never did. I called a week ago and they say they have the package and it will be sent to my new address. It never was sent. I called today and they claim it was waiting for me to pick up at the wrong  address and I never notified them of my address change, the one I have in writing from them! They sent me an email a minute ago telling me I have to pay $25.00 reshipping fee and I need to give them a new address? I guess the emails and phones calls for the past three months had no bearing on anything. I told them to keep the books since they want them that bad, they win. I will call in a few days to file an insurance claim with CGC. The insured/declared value of books are worth more than the actual books themselves. The worst customer service, the worst. 

@CGC Mike

moving along...I only got 5/25 on 4108023...and 2/15 for 4111600 (0/25 on 4102862). I think my experiment in 9.8 prescreen is over...just weird going 55/76 for first three submissions and then 7/ 65 for next three submissions..too inconsistent...I am hoping that maybe there was some shipment damage on the way there ...but I am a very careful packer

I still have 75 more to go..this could be brutal ..ugh

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 12.54.44 PM.png

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 9/8/2022 at 8:06 AM, Ninja0215 said:

I'm sending in for The Todd father signing.  I called customer support yesterday to ask when I would get billed for the services and they said as soon as they open the box . I was wondering if that was the case for all of them. 

That was the case for me.

On 9/9/2022 at 5:50 AM, Ed Hanes said:

moving along...I only got 5/25 on 4108023...if 4111600 is low, I think my experiment in 9.8 prescreen is over...just weird going 55/76 for first three submissions and practically zero for next three...too inconsistent...will my faith be restored? 

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 12.54.44 PM.png

It feels like to me that there is rogue grader(s) in there at the moment that are either ridiculously strict or just plain plucking numbers out of the air. It seems totally random getting assigned to them as well - as you describe, sometimes everything's fine on one submission and then next submission - boom!

This is happening so much that I recently remarked to customer service that it would be great if they not assign my submissions to that same grader who seems to be dishing out those disastrous grades or at the very least, ask them to start supplying decent graders notes to justify their rationale. 🤣

Edited by Every Day A Story

On 9/8/2022 at 1:20 PM, Every Day A Story said:

It feels like to me that there is rogue grader(s) in there at the moment that are either ridiculously strict or just plain plucking numbers out of the air. It seems totally random getting assigned to them as well - as you describe, sometimes everything's fine on one submission and then next submission - boom!

This is happening so much that I recently remarked to customer service that it would be great if they not assign my submissions to that same grader who seems to be dishing out those disastrous grades or at the very least, ask them to start supplying decent graders notes to justify their rationale. 🤣

I have 75 left to go...so maybe I will get a balanced grader ...we will see. I based my submissions on the first two prescreens I got back but I guess even that's a flawed plan

Oh and by the way...

Order #: CGC6621776295
Submission #: 4088507
Received: 7/4/22
Items: 18
Declared Value: 7,200
Service: FAST TRACK ECONOMY

50+ days now and that includes languishing at Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging for two weeks now. (shrug)

TAT is listed as 20 days for Fast Track!

On 9/8/2022 at 3:50 PM, Ed Hanes said:

I am hoping that maybe there was some shipment damage on the way there ...

Why the heck would you hope that your books were damaged during shipping???   I'd much rather pay the $8 reject fee and get my books back unharmed than have them damaged and facing a difficult insurance claim (especially books targeted for 9.8's).  I seriously doubt the shipper would give you anything if the receiver opened them without reporting a problem with the box.  

• Administrator
On 9/8/2022 at 12:07 PM, nochips said:

If you would like my help, PM me the submission number.

Mike

On 9/8/2022 at 5:11 PM, Petroman said:

Why the heck would you hope that your books were damaged during shipping???   I'd much rather pay the $8 reject fee and get my books back unharmed than have them damaged and facing a difficult insurance claim (especially books targeted for 9.8's).  I seriously doubt the shipper would give you anything if the receiver opened them without reporting a problem with the box.  

It was just a facetious remark, the next statement (...but I am a very careful packer) provided more context to what I said. As if what 'I hope' would dictate how my comics were handled in shipment

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 9/8/2022 at 8:45 PM, Ed Hanes said:

It was just a facetious remark, the next statement (...but I am a very careful packer) provided more context to what I said. As if what 'I hope' would dictate how my comics were handled in shipment

Sorry mate, didn't read it that way at all.  But regardless, I still think the 9.8 grading experiment is worth it.  Or maybe a little lower depending on the books submitted.  I've sent in too many books that I expected 9.8 or 9.6 at worse that come back as completely worthless 9.4, 9.2, 9.0...etc.  I'd rather get my book back for an $8 fine than get is slabbed at a horrid grade that means I'll either CPR it or dump it for a loss.  Personally I'm looking to downsize my collection from the 70's - 90's but it really sux selling a book that I've kept for 30+ years at a loss.

On 9/8/2022 at 6:23 PM, Petroman said:

Sorry mate, didn't read it that way at all.  But regardless, I still think the 9.8 grading experiment is worth it.  Or maybe a little lower depending on the books submitted.  I've sent in too many books that I expected 9.8 or 9.6 at worse that come back as completely worthless 9.4, 9.2, 9.0...etc.  I'd rather get my book back for an $8 fine than get is slabbed at a horrid grade that means I'll either CPR it or dump it for a loss.  Personally I'm looking to downsize my collection from the 70's - 90's but it really sux selling a book that I've kept for 30+ years at a loss.

yeah, I am lowering my expectations on financial returns..just gonna do prescreen 9.0 from now on. Looking at most of the rejects, I could still make some money on 9.0-9.6 

On 9/8/2022 at 9:42 PM, Ed Hanes said:

yeah, I am lowering my expectations on financial returns..just gonna do prescreen 9.0 from now on. Looking at most of the rejects, I could still make some money on 9.0-9.6 

Always tough to maximize profit, especially with inconsistent grading.  Will definitely require more effort going forward to research what each book sells at across various grades and then building submissions that set the minimum thresholds appropriately.  Kinda sux that you can only do the pre-screen for 25 book submissions and that all the books have to have the same minimum but it is what it is.  I would *really* hope that CGC has some audit process in place where if say 80% of the books screen out in a batch then an extra set of eyes gets involved.  If they don't have this, they certainly should.

On 9/8/2022 at 7:07 PM, Petroman said:

Always tough to maximize profit, especially with inconsistent grading.  Will definitely require more effort going forward to research what each book sells at across various grades and then building submissions that set the minimum thresholds appropriately.  Kinda sux that you can only do the pre-screen for 25 book submissions and that all the books have to have the same minimum but it is what it is.  I would *really* hope that CGC has some audit process in place where if say 80% of the books screen out in a batch then an extra set of eyes gets involved.  If they don't have this, they certainly should.

yeah, 80% seems reasonable

even the ability to change a prescreen grade before going to GEI... I would personally like to change my next three submissions to 9.0 that are in the que now and for 8 dollars a book, they should be able to give an unbinding grade (just so we could use as a reference )

Edited by Ed Hanes

On a brighter note, I just did some research on possible financial return of the 7 out of 65 that weren't rejected and returned as 9.8. Selling those 7  may at least help me break even from all the costs incurred with sending the 65 to be prescreened (and the cost of buying and slabbing those 7)...not ideal but not a loss

Edited by Ed Hanes

I have a question on the revised turn around times for Economy fast track. It had been at 41 days, but on Tuesday September 6 I noticed it was revised to 20 days. My question is does the revised date take effect for books that were already scheduled for grading prior to September 6, or just for books that arrived on or after September 6? It's of interest to me as I sent in a few books using Economy fast track that were received by GCG on August 30. @CGC Mike could you shed some light on this?  Thanks!!