• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,135 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2022 at 11:47 AM, frozentundraguy said:

I have a question on the revised turn around times for Economy fast track. It had been at 41 days, but on Tuesday September 6 I noticed it was revised to 20 days. My question is does the revised date take effect for books that were already scheduled for grading prior to September 6, or just for books that arrived on or after September 6? It's of interest to me as I sent in a few books using Economy fast track that were received by GCG on August 30. @CGC Mike could you shed some light on this?  Thanks!!

Those TATs are to be taken with a grain of salt .. just means that you will get EFT much faster than EST

• Administrator
On 9/9/2022 at 2:47 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I have a question on the revised turn around times for Economy fast track. It had been at 41 days, but on Tuesday September 6 I noticed it was revised to 20 days. My question is does the revised date take effect for books that were already scheduled for grading prior to September 6, or just for books that arrived on or after September 6? It's of interest to me as I sent in a few books using Economy fast track that were received by GCG on August 30. @CGC Mike could you shed some light on this?  Thanks!!

I will ask the grading team.

On 9/10/2022 at 8:29 PM, ArcherC said:

@Stefan_W Hi I may have missed this, but what do you mean you modified your process a bit?

In previous submissions I always screened books prior to pressing and then checked them over after pressing them out. More recently I added a step at the end where after I get to 25 books and I am ready to ship I pull out each book again and check them carefully under some really good lights that I use for finding ticks and flaws. I basically graded them myself as though I was a grader looking at the books for the first time. 

What I discovered was that about a few books that I initially thought were 9.8 candidates had flaws. In those cases I either pulled the books or I pressed them again and checked to see if that fixed the flaws. 

It is a bit time consuming and it is not all that fun to look that carefully at the books so many times but the results are there. I went from getting about 17 out of 25 on a 9.8 pre-screen up into the 20s. 

On 9/11/2022 at 8:00 AM, Stefan_W said:

In previous submissions I always screened books prior to pressing and then checked them over after pressing them out. More recently I added a step at the end where after I get to 25 books and I am ready to ship I pull out each book again and check them carefully under some really good lights that I use for finding ticks and flaws. I basically graded them myself as though I was a grader looking at the books for the first time. 

What I discovered was that about a few books that I initially thought were 9.8 candidates had flaws. In those cases I either pulled the books or I pressed them again and checked to see if that fixed the flaws. 

It is a bit time consuming and it is not all that fun to look that carefully at the books so many times but the results are there. I went from getting about 17 out of 25 on a 9.8 pre-screen up into the 20s. 

I wish I knew how to press myself.  And just more about pressings in general.  My 9.8 percentages are lower than your’s because I’m also speculating as to whether a pressing would actually bump a book to a 9.8.  Sometimes I’m off base and I end up wasting my money

On 9/11/2022 at 3:31 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I wish I knew how to press myself.  And just more about pressings in general.  My 9.8 percentages are lower than your’s because I’m also speculating as to whether a pressing would actually bump a book to a 9.8.  Sometimes I’m off base and I end up wasting my money

There are a few books on Amazon that are worth checking out if you're interested in the pressing and cleaning process.  The Jacob Gadbois book has been very informative.  I have been pressing books myself long before the book came out but its always worth looking at the pressing process that others use.  There is definitely an art to pressing, which is why I'm always quite skeptical of someone offering a "quick press".  Yes, a quick press can get out very simple defects like light finger bends, but many other defects require far more time and attention

On 9/11/2022 at 3:31 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

After pressing my own books for a year now I found the biggest benefit is being able to see the books after the press. Sometimes things come out that I dont expect to come out, and other times things I thought would come out actually dont. Another big plus is no one is ever going to take the care with your books that you do. I pick at mine, sometimes putting books into the press two or three times, unless I get every flaw out that I think I can possibly fix. 

I learned by buying a Heatpress on Ebay (and more recently a second of the same press on Amazon), and watching You Tube videos. There are a lot of tricks with older books but I find new ones are pretty straightforward. The 6th comic I ever pressed in my life was an EoSV 2 and I got it up to a 9.8. And I have saved thousands in pressing fees in the past year alone. My only regret is that I did not set up my press earlier and that I wasted so much money paying people to do what was mostly pretty easy work. 

On 9/11/2022 at 4:01 PM, Petroman said:

There are a few books on Amazon that are worth checking out if you're interested in the pressing and cleaning process.  The Jacob Gadbois book has been very informative.  I have been pressing books myself long before the book came out but its always worth looking at the pressing process that others use.  There is definitely an art to pressing, which is why I'm always quite skeptical of someone offering a "quick press".  Yes, a quick press can get out very simple defects like light finger bends, but many other defects require far more time and attention

I agree 1000% with this. I spend thousands last year using "quick press" options that did not repair minor issues that I do now in under 2 minutes. A quick press is just popping a book into a press with no work done to it at all, and as such it does little aside from cleaning up wrinkling in the middle of the cover and stuff like that. It is a total waste of money IMHO. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 9/7/2022 at 11:25 AM, Stefan_W said:

The 8/8 pre-screen was just marked as shipped for tomorrow, so will probably get to me early next week. 

Shipping over the weekend to Canada is always a bit dicey, and hopefully FedEx does not give it the full gorilla treatment this time. Fingers crossed 🤞 

Ruh roh raggy. Both of my shipments that are en route have been delayed with new TOAs of Thursday, which is one full week of travel to get here. The odds of all of them arriving intact are ranging from slim to none. Hopefully the damages will be minimal. 

• Administrator
On 9/9/2022 at 2:47 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I am told your order should be done within the 20 day window.