• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,034 posts in this topic

My first submission to CGC (4 book SS for Ross, Miller, Janson, Claremont, regular speed)

Received: 3/13
G/E/I: 1 graded, 3 scheduled for grading (after a month and a half?)
Shipped: One shipped and received, the other three... ???

If this is standard operating procedure for CGC, this'll be my last submission.

Modern/Slow

Received at Avery Comic Pressing: 9/1/22

Delivered to GCG: 4/10/23

Received: 4/26/23

G/E/I: 5/3/23'

(Incidentally, I sent 9 books to Avery and 9 to CFP a week apart, 9 months ago. They both arrived at CGC a week apart.)

Edited by stephenlev

On 5/3/2023 at 9:09 AM, Jesse Larson said:

My first submission to CGC (4 book SS for Ross, Miller, Janson, Claremont, regular speed)

Received: 3/13
G/E/I: 1 graded, 3 scheduled for grading (after a month and a half?)
Shipped: One shipped and received, the other three... ???

If this is standard operating procedure for CGC, this'll be my last submission.

The Alex Ross signing hasn't occurred yet so I am assuming that it will still take a while after he has signed your book.

Which was the one you got back?  I'm betting the ones you didn't get back were from the Miller / Janson signing which likely was a large group submission - which was approx two weeks ago.  It usually takes a month (in my experience) from the date of the signing, and grading and then getting the book back.  In other words, if the signing was on June 1, 2023, then I would expect the book back approx on July 1, 2023.  Give or take.  Hope that helps.  

On 5/3/2023 at 1:49 PM, Dayofthedead204 said:

The Alex Ross signing hasn't occurred yet so I am assuming that it will still take a while after he has signed your book.

Which was the one you got back?  I'm betting the ones you didn't get back were from the Miller / Janson signing which likely was a large group submission - which was approx two weeks ago.  It usually takes a month (in my experience) from the date of the signing, and grading and then getting the book back.  In other words, if the signing was on June 1, 2023, then I would expect the book back approx on July 1, 2023.  Give or take.  Hope that helps.  

The Ross signing (1 submission) is listed as Feb 15 to May 5th.  I mailed my submissions in early and received (checked in?) at CGC on 3/13.  I'm reasonably sure that he's been signing since the start of the event and not in a bunch at the beginning of May.

The MIller and Janson event (2 submissions) is listed from Feb 7 to Mar 31.  I'm sure that was a large submission as well, but it's still been a month and half since the event ended.  Even if the last day they signed was 3-31 and my submissions were last in line (I'm sure they weren't as I shipped them end of Feb), TAT are listed as approx. 20 days.  If they can't keep up, they can't keep up.  They should give some sort of update if the TAT is going to double their estimate.  Certainly makes me wary of sending anything else in for future submissions, if they're that uncommunicative and ambivalent.

Edited by Jesse Larson

Modern submission of 16 books received 4/12, received into system on 4/25, G/E/I on 4/27 and shipped on 5/3 (15 business days)  

Modern FAST TRACK submission of 22 books received 4/12, received into system on 4/25, G/E/I on 4/27 and still sitting…..(15 business days) 

Walkthrough  submission of 2 books received 4/12, received into system on 4/25, G/E/I on 4/27, in quality on 5/1 and still sitting…. (15 business days)

So, modern cycle time is better than fast track and walkthrough right now. But, to be fair, the grading is horrible, so they may have been graded without removing from the bag. 

On 5/2/2023 at 5:10 PM, Iceman399 said:

Your item arrived at the SARASOTA, FL 34230 post office at 6:22 pm on May 1, 2023 and is ready for pickup. Your item may be picked up at SARASOTA, 1661 RINGLING BLVD, SARASOTA, FL 342309998, M-F 0800-1730; SAT 0900-1200.

Anyone got similar messages when tracking with USPS... This doesn't seem normal. 

My shipment arrived in Sarasota the same day as yours and hasn't been entered in the system or scanned in by CGC yet.

Keep us updated when your shipment goes into the system!

On 5/3/2023 at 3:17 PM, Jesse Larson said:

The Ross signing (1 submission) is listed as Feb 15 to May 5th.  I mailed my submissions in early and received (checked in?) at CGC on 3/13.  I'm reasonably sure that he's been signing since the start of the event and not in a bunch at the beginning of May.

The MIller and Janson event (2 submissions) is listed from Feb 7 to Mar 31.  I'm sure that was a large submission as well, but it's still been a month and half since the event ended.  Even if the last day they signed was 3-31 and my submissions were last in line (I'm sure they weren't as I shipped them end of Feb), TAT are listed as approx. 20 days.  If they can't keep up, they can't keep up.  They should give some sort of update if the TAT is going to double their estimate.  Certainly makes me wary of sending anything else in for future submissions, if they're that uncommunicative and ambivalent.

The dates you see for in-house signing events are the deadlines to receive submissions at CGC headquarters, not the dates when the signing occurs. The actual signing can happen days, weeks, or even months after the deadline. This is how it’s always been.

On 5/3/2023 at 1:25 PM, asteroid-comix said:

Modern submission of 16 books received 4/12, received into system on 4/25, G/E/I on 4/27 and shipped on 5/3 (15 business days)  

Modern FAST TRACK submission of 22 books received 4/12, received into system on 4/25, G/E/I on 4/27 and still sitting…..(15 business days) 

Walkthrough  submission of 2 books received 4/12, received into system on 4/25, G/E/I on 4/27, in quality on 5/1 and still sitting…. (15 business days)

So, modern cycle time is better than fast track and walkthrough right now. But, to be fair, the grading is horrible, so they may have been graded without removing from the bag. 

Horrible how so? My last submission seemed very soft. I was really surprised at some of the 9.8s. 

On 5/3/2023 at 7:57 PM, asteroid-comix said:

Yeah, mine went the other way. 

There is no consistency at CGC anymore. It’s luck of the draw. I think there are a few graders that see things that are not there and bring the hammer on the smallest of things. I think others let a lot through that shouldn’t. It’s easy to grade anything from VF- to NM/M, but CGC is getting it wrong way too often anymore. If it were struggles between what was VG/F and F, I would get it. But, the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6 is an easy call to make. The difference between a 9.6 and a 9.0 is like an apple to an orange. Lack of consistency and process is what makes that hard for people that are new. 

On 5/3/2023 at 5:06 PM, Shockmaster said:

My shipment arrived in Sarasota the same day as yours and hasn't been entered in the system or scanned in by CGC yet.

Keep us updated when your shipment goes into the system!

It still says it's available for pickup.  In the past their busy times (2020/21) it would At least say delivered.  I wouldn't be overly concerned but some walkthrough books. 

On 5/3/2023 at 5:18 PM, Iceman399 said:

It still says it's available for pickup.  In the past their busy times (2020/21) it would At least say delivered.  I wouldn't be overly concerned but some walkthrough books. 

You should have flown down to hand deliver them. 

On 5/2/2023 at 5:10 PM, Iceman399 said:

Your item arrived at the SARASOTA, FL 34230 post office at 6:22 pm on May 1, 2023 and is ready for pickup. Your item may be picked up at SARASOTA, 1661 RINGLING BLVD, SARASOTA, FL 342309998, M-F 0800-1730; SAT 0900-1200.

Anyone got similar messages when tracking with USPS... This doesn't seem normal. 

This is normal.

On 5/2/2023 at 4:10 PM, Iceman399 said:

Mine was delivered on the same day with the same message.  Today is May 4th and it's still not marked as picked up.

In other news:

I had two 10 Modern book submissions arrive to CGC (via FedEx) on April 27.

Shown as "received" on April 28.

May 4th - still not on "My Submissions" or SFG.

Never took this long to open my subs before.  

On 4/20/2023 at 3:00 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Don’t have any hard evidence, but I think Megacon screwed C2E2.  A friend of mine submitted 4 walk-thru books for me in Chicago and they still aren’t logged into the system.  Ridiculous.  

Maybe they pushed them back enough to where they hit the new 4% fee instead of the 3%! :jokealert:

On 5/4/2023 at 11:20 AM, ANDSOLDIT said:

Maybe they pushed them back enough to where they hit the new 4% fee instead of the 3%! :jokealert:

All I know is something is screwy.  My walk-thru c2e2 books are still in the grading phase but another batch of walk-thru books that were sent in 2 weeks ago shipped yesterday.  So, who knows.