• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,049 posts in this topic

Five Modern Signature Series dropped off at Baltimore Comic-Con on Sept 7

Marked Received on Sept 11

Marked Verified on Oct 9

Marked Scheduled for Grading sometime between Oct 17-21

Marked Graded Oct 22

Marked Grading/Quality Control Nov 8

Marked Shipped/Safe Nov 19

Approximately 47 business days, allowing for Columbus Day and Veterans Day. Also, not sure how many days they were shortstaffed due to cons. I wonder if having a presence at all these WizardWorld shows that keep popping up is draining manpower from the slabbing process?

I've never been clear on that either. For example, CGC will be at the Austin show this weekend. I understand that this could affect grading or other functions, but since they aren't doing onsite grading I don't see why it would affect encapsulation. I doubt that the folks who would come to shows as witnesses would be involved on the encapsulation end, so even if grading ceases on a con weekend hopefully they are still working on getting books through the extreme backup at the encapsulation/shipping end of things, as opposed to sending a few people to cons and everyone else getting time off. If someone could clarify that would be great.

With the exception of some of the largest shows and - of course - the shows where CGC does onsite grading, the people who man the CGC booth at something like WW Austin aren't directly involved in grading or slabbing books.

Then what is the rationale for not counting con Fridays as business days? If graders and encapsulators aren't going to a show like Austin, then why wouldn't it be business as usual in terms of TATs?

Marked Verified on Oct 9

Marked Graded Oct 22

Approximately 47 business days, allowing for Columbus Day and Veterans Day. Also, not sure how many days they were shortstaffed due to cons. I wonder if having a presence at all these WizardWorld shows that keep popping up is draining manpower from the slabbing process?

I've never been clear on that either. For example, CGC will be at the Austin show this weekend. I understand that this could affect grading or other functions, but since they aren't doing onsite grading I don't see why it would affect encapsulation. I doubt that the folks who would come to shows as witnesses would be involved on the encapsulation end, so even if grading ceases on a con weekend hopefully they are still working on getting books through the extreme backup at the encapsulation/shipping end of things, as opposed to sending a few people to cons and everyone else getting time off. If someone could clarify that would be great.

With the exception of some of the largest shows and - of course - the shows where CGC does onsite grading, the people who man the CGC booth at something like WW Austin aren't directly involved in grading or slabbing books.

Then what is the rationale for not counting con Fridays as business days? If graders and encapsulators aren't going to a show like Austin, then why wouldn't it be business as usual in terms of TATs?

It states "Fridays of a major convention" which doesn't necessarily apply to WW Austin :shrug:

Marked Verified on Oct 9

Marked Graded Oct 22

It states "Fridays of a major convention" which doesn't necessarily apply to WW Austin :shrug:

If that is the case then that would make sense, but what would be considered "major" in that context? Would it only be the shows that do onsite grading, but not a show where CGC simply has a booth presence and is doing witnessing? That definition of "major" would make sense to me.

In any event, this discussion is sort of moot because submissions are going to take as long as they are going to take regardless of how we massage the TATs. Whether they are 30 days over or 32 days over, and we can't be sure because there was a convention in there, is rearranging deck chairs.

Marked Verified on Oct 9

Marked Graded Oct 22

If that is the case then that would make sense, but what would be considered "major" in that context? Would it only be the shows that do onsite grading, but not a show where CGC simply has a booth presence and is doing witnessing? That definition of "major" would make sense to me.

In any event, this discussion is sort of moot because submissions are going to take as long as they are going to take regardless of how we massage the TATs. Whether they are 30 days over or 32 days over, and we can't be sure because there was a convention in there, is rearranging deck chairs.

Sure - I completely agree. Was just answering the question posed :)

Yes, they're definitely behind, but it can help to assuage some of the outrage that spouts off every now and then if we know how "they" count business days. I just watched an unboxing of four Collector's Society Standard coupon books that were dropped off in person at Wizard World Nashville. Invoice date Oct 23, in hand on Nov 19. Looks to me like that's 16 business days and if there is a con day in there then they met their estimate on the nose.

Well, clearly, standard tier is where the action is. Costs more, but I am thrilled with 16 business days. Not sure I would submit any of my moderns if it takes so long- as a collector, not a seller, I would just wait and buy them already graded. Not too good for those of you who do it as sellers though!

I think there's a special emphasis on the coupon books to help make new members feel really good about the process so they send in more books that seem to fall into a black hole. I turned in 16 modern and 15 economy on the same day my friend turned his in for CS coupon: now he has his four books in hand and my moderns just got "verified" today, economy still "received."

Nashville is where I turned mine in using the coupon still sitting at Graded/QC as of today 21 business days

Submission 1- Economy

Received 8/14

Graded 10/31

Graded/quality cont 11/11

69 Total business days and counting

Submission 2- Economy Fast Track

Received 10/7

Graded 10/31

33 total business days and counting

Submission 3- Economy Fast Track

received 10/30

Verified 11/13

15 total business days and counting

Submission 4- Standard

received 10/30

Scheduled for Grading 11/18

15 total business days and counting

Modern submission (not fast track)

Received: 9/16/13

Back in time for x-mas? :wishluck:

Verified 10/11/13

Scheduled for grading 10/18/13

Graded 10/21/13

Grading/Quality Control 11/8/13

Shipped/Safe 11/21/13

Suck it Transplant :banana:

Modern submission (not fast track)

Received: 9/16/13

Back in time for x-mas? :wishluck:

Verified 10/11/13

Scheduled for grading 10/18/13

Graded 10/21/13

Grading/Quality Control 11/8/13

Shipped/Safe 11/21/13

Suck it Transplant :banana:

That is so freaking gross. My 10/23 FAST-FREAKING-TRACK Moderns have been graded for about 10 biz days and haven't shipped.

BUY A NEW FREAKING ENCAPSULATION MACHINE.

TRAIN MORE THAN 1 NEW PERSON TO USE IT IN TIMES OF BOTTLENECKS AT ENCAPSULATION.