• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,948 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Moderns are the fastest they've been in the 11 years I've been regularly submitting. Very pleased.

Value and Economy is substantially slower, but I'm ok with that.

Just FYI, today or yesterday, CGC posted on Facebook that they are continuing to look to hire MORE graders....

So the fleece is out, compared to current volume, I can only hope that new hires will go towards the slower tiers :wishluck: 

I mailed out my first prescreen today. I suffered a mini panic attack when I was asked how much it was going to cost if all 28 books passed ... but then I remembered how bad I am at grading & realized that there wasn't much chance of that happening. BTW, I think I did something wrong ... it cost me $42 to mail out the books.

Oh yeah, one more thing ... my value sub from 12/14 hit graded yesterday.

39 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Just FYI, today or yesterday, CGC posted on Facebook that they are continuing to look to hire MORE graders....

So the fleece is out, compared to current volume, I can only hope that new hires will go towards the slower tiers :wishluck: 

I know nothing of financial decisions in relation to business but you'd think, by now at least, there'd be more than one location within the USA.  East coast, West coast, Midwest, something.  Not sure if that would diminish quality but it would definitely help with ETA's on all tiers.

1 minute ago, sagekilz said:

I know nothing of financial decisions in relation to business but you'd think, by now at least, there'd be more than one location within the USA.  East coast, West coast, Midwest, something.  Not sure if that would diminish quality but it would definitely help with ETA's on all tiers.

I agree, even the London office is only a go between to Sarasota....

At this point people are happy to take what they can get, but with the across the board pricing going up last year or the year before, there is a price to pay for more convenience ....

On another note that I'm POSITIVE someone's mentioned before, the wait times are what they are because of the standards CGC uphold (and a little bit because they're backlogged).  If submissions on any tier were marked shipped in 1-2 weeks opposed to what it is now, there would be a possible uproar because we'd know the care and quality isn't there.

Edited by sagekilz

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I have to think this is a very difficult job to hire for. They want a lot of experience in the hobby, which makes sense, but how many people with lots of experience in the hobby would actually want to look at and grade dozens of New Mutants 98s and whatever new modern is hot right now? I know I wouldn't. I'd want to gouge my eyes out after a few weeks and it would completely ruin the hobby for me, probably permanently. Also, I don't know what they pay down in Florida but I'm pretty sure it's not enough to get most people active in the hobby to give up the selling/dealing portion of the hobby. So that leaves non comic people who they have to invest a ton of time in to train and if they don't work out, well there goes all of that time investment. We on these boards constantly whine about long TAT's but realistically, we're lucky they're as fast as they are. 

8 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

I have to think this is a very difficult job to hire for. They want a lot of experience in the hobby, which makes sense, but how many people with lots of experience in the hobby would actually want to look at and grade dozens of New Mutants 98s and whatever new modern is hot right now? I know I wouldn't. I'd want to gouge my eyes out after a few weeks and it would completely ruin the hobby for me, probably permanently. Also, I don't know what they pay down in Florida but I'm pretty sure it's not enough to get most people active in the hobby to give up the selling/dealing portion of the hobby. So that leaves non comic people who they have to invest a ton of time in to train and if they don't work out, well there goes all of that time investment. We on these boards constantly whine about long TAT's but realistically, we're lucky they're as fast as they are. 

I've wondered also how graders would submit their own books for slabbing, if in fact they love the hobby. You'd have to love the hobby, or at least have a flair for redundancy :foryou:

They indeed are looking for experience! Which is good news! Hopefully they have the people they trained last year train any new hires, and then have senior staff double check....

I can only think that the great veteran graders there need the younger generation to help carry on...

7 hours ago, oldrover said:

My guess is they keep Moderns low and speedier to justify slabbing more frequently... and charge more for Value and slow it down... because, well, they can. :)

I think the different tiers have dedicated graders, no?  It's like a supermarket, maybe they've hired a lot of butchers but could use more bakers?

53 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've wondered also how graders would submit their own books for slabbing, if in fact they love the hobby. You'd have to love the hobby, or at least have a flair for redundancy :foryou:

They indeed are looking for experience! Which is good news! Hopefully they have the people they trained last year train any new hires, and then have senior staff double check....

I can only think that the great veteran graders there need the younger generation to help carry on...

I would think graders wouldn't be allowed to send their own books, I could be wrong....

2 hours ago, Gaard said:

I mailed out my first prescreen today. I suffered a mini panic attack when I was asked how much it was going to cost if all 28 books passed ... but then I remembered how bad I am at grading & realized that there wasn't much chance of that happening. BTW, I think I did something wrong ... it cost me $42 to mail out the books.

Oh yeah, one more thing ... my value sub from 12/14 hit graded yesterday.

Be appreciative you don't have to ship internationally....both ways!  Remember that sending a batch is like a capital expenditure, a large lump sum at once that gradually pays off in the short-medium term.

Just now, spreads said:

I would think graders wouldn't be allowed to send their own books, I could be wrong....

That's honestly what I thought and remember reading in some cgc rules somewhere lol just couldn't find it to quote  :foryou:

1 hour ago, sagekilz said:

I think the startup costs (security especially) would probably be quite high and would leverage the business significantly more that it might not be worth the risk in the event submissions come down.  I'm sure CGC has done LOTS of forecasting on opening up a second location, if it were to ever happen I think opening up an international location would make more sense than a second one in the US.  They would have a lot more business by submitters from Europe that don't submit as often because it's cost prohibitive on many books....

Tier (also list FastTrack where applicable): Crossover Standard
TAT as of Receipt Date: 32 Business Days (10 at CCS, 22 at CGC)
Number of books: 1
Received CCS: 2/1
At CCS: ???
Received CGC: ???
Verified: 2/20
Scheduled for Grading: ???
Graded: 2/22
Grading/Quality Control: 2/25
Shipped/Safe: 2/26
Received (by owner): TBD

Total TAT: TBD (13 at CCS, 5 at CGC, TBD with USPS)

NOTE: this is a Crossover submission.  Estimated TAT is based on standard submission times as I am unsure if there is any difference between it and Crossover return times.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

Tier (also list FastTrack where applicable): Crossover Standard
TAT as of Receipt Date: 32 Business Days (10 at CCS, 22 at CGC)
Number of books: 1
Received CCS: 2/1
At CCS: ???
Received CGC: ???
Verified: 2/20
Scheduled for Grading: ???
Graded: 2/22
Grading/Quality Control: 2/25
Shipped/Safe: 2/26
Received (by owner): TBD

Total TAT: TBD (13 at CCS, 5 at CGC, TBD with USPS)

NOTE: this is a Crossover submission.  Estimated TAT is based on standard submission times as I am unsure if there is any difference between it and Crossover return times.

Just curious, it seems like most of your submissions are a single book or a few books?  Wouldn't it be a lot more cost effective to send more than one at a time?

1 hour ago, spreads said:

Just curious, it seems like most of your submissions are a single book or a few books?  Wouldn't it be a lot more cost effective to send more than one at a time?

Yeah, in most cases my submissions are for Signature Series and the previous rule was that facilitators could only hold books a month or two.  Unfortunately for me, a lot of my submissions occurred across the entire con season which meant my submissions ended up getting split up and sent in at different times.  On other occasions I've submitted books across different tiers, and CGC doesn't hold books to be sent under one invoice unfortunately.  In this particular case, I only have one CBCS book that qualified for the Crossover.  I've wasted a lot of money on shipping.  It's probably why I gripe about having to pay so much for Registered Mail.  :S  Truth be told, I kinda dove into slabs rather quickly and now I have some books/sigs that I don't really care for (one of those things where my eyes were bigger than my wallet).  As a result of this, I probably only have a small handful of books that I REALLY want signed so my future submissions likely number less than 5 at this point.