• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest let-down in comics?

72 posts in this topic

One big let down for me was back in 1999 when I decided to drop collecting all together as it was getting too expensive with the various titles. I see it's still rather overwhelming with the multiple Spider, X titles and their individual character spin offs, now Cap has what 2 books, then the Knights/Ultimate lines.... Speaking of Ultimates, what is the deal with a fraggin' Ult Spidey #1 going for more than some silver and bronze cgc books? trends and fan boys, geesh...

I've missed a lot in the 5 years gone, Aquaman relaunched with his hand back ( I loved the David-Egelund/Califore [spelling?] run, Wolverine got his admantium back, has a daughter (?) and a relaunch, a female Robin (what's up with that?), Jason Todd is still alive and now Hush, ( I am considering getting the Hush run as I started collecting comics with 'ol Batsy,,, umm Collosus is dead, Cyc with Emma(huh?) where in the bloody he11 is Jean? Chaos! defunct, I'm sure there's more. More let downs, albeit movies, Episodes 1 and 2, Daredevil, and Hulk, didn't bother with Punisher. Hellboy and the 2 Spideys were awesome, though Goblins robo suit was lame. Let's see other let downs, CGC's turn around time and inconsistant grading along with the comic-keys and CGG/TDcomics conspiracies.

536354-supercami1.jpg.82c129dae84c4083821448099881f9d4.jpg

Any long standing creator leaving a series gives a huge jolt for long term fans. For me the worst was Levitz leaving the Legion, although I never liked his final storyline much.

Engelheart leaving Dr Strange was pretty bad but when Colan let shortly after it was abysmal.

The storyline that made me want to explode most of all and was the largest contributor to my giving up new comics, was the Strange/Dr Stevens garbage near the end of the Sorcerer Supreme series. I had about 20 years invested in the character at that time and I found those issues almost unreadable.

I'd go with the Englehart and Rogers team on Detective (who were doing fabulous work - issues 471 - 476 especially) being broken up after less than 10 issues. After Rogers left 'Tec, he was never as good again.

Anything by Neal Adams after he left DC in the mid '70s. Ditto Jim Starlin after Dreadstar.

John Buscema's rapid artistic decline in the '80s.

The '80s Silver Surfer series. After such a big build up, I expected more.

I'm thinking a real stinker...Onslaught.

"It's going to change the Marvel Universe". They just didn't say which way for better or worse.

Bill

On that note I suppose I should add DC's Zero Hour. Pointless tinkering and dispensing with continuity for its' own sake is one way to lose reader interest. Plus the stories were dreary, workmanlike and functional. Crisis was great and justifiable, this was not.

If you're talking about artistic disappearances, I'd say I was disappointed by how little we saw of Wrightson, Kaluta and Jones after their Bronze Age DC heyday, not to mention the dearth of Steranko work after Nick Fury.

Not talking about an ending you didn't like, or a story twist that didn't make sense... something far more sinister than that...

You know when you're really enjoying how a title is going, and you finish a spectacular issue? And then you grab the next issue in the series and it's a pile of steaming dung?

Maybe they changed artists, or had a fill-in writer, or maybe the creators just went nuts and changed the focus of the series... It's not so bad when the whole series is mediocre, but when a terrible issue follows a great one, it's like a kick in the nuts...

I wasn't born when Journey Into Mystery 90 came out. But I can still remember the first time I sat down with the Masterworks and started reading from 83-on. Each story seemed better than the last, and then I finish issue 89 and turn the page and almost threw up. That art is so bad compared to what Kirby did in the previous issue I wanted to chuck the whole idea of finishing out collecting the run.

So what are your picks? Remember the disparity is the key here. It's not like anyone was surprised when issue 3 of Marville sucked. But it's something else entirely to follow a masterpiece with a piece of trash.

You know, because the art was not done by Kirby and was so bad, many people seem to have passed on buying JIM 90 when it came out & it's actually one of the harder issues to find because of this.

A few come to mind:

Iron Man

When he became a drunk. You look at some of the art and covers such as 121, 126, 150 and I was blown away. Great stories and probably some of the best art I have ever seen, then that goes in the crapper and so does the story lines because every issue deals with Stark's drinking problem. Boring. sleeping.gif

Avengers

The run from about issue 150-200 was outstanding. Still my all-time favorite Avengers run. What followed was bad art, and weak story lines. Hard act to follow but what a drop off.

X-Men

After Bryne finished there was a string of about 20 issues that just couldn't carry the torch. Again an almost impossible torch to carry but still a let down.

Thor

After issue 300 there was a big gab until 337 came around. The art was okay but so-so stories. 37 issues doesn't sound like much but that was a 3-year hole they fell in. What followed was spectacular. cloud9.gif

What do you guys think? Did you feel the same way about these runs? I feel lucky to be able to experience those beauties first hand.

Has to be killing off Hal Jordan for Kyle Raynor .

I was dumbstruck , speechless and angry .

Man, don't EVEN get me started on what they did to Hal Jordan. Or Barry Allen. Augh! 893frustrated.gif893censored-thumb.gif

I remember being emotionally let down in the early 80's after Justice League of America #200. That, back then, to me, was a great, great issue. The team was divided, and the newer members had to fight the older members. Then they all came together and kicked some butt. Teamwork personified. Then it was just kind of back to "business as usual" after that with #201 (from what I remember). I think I took a break from it shortly after that.

I remember not liking the FF around issue #272 or 273 (when Reed discovered his father was "The Warlord'). Many great stories before it and after it, but I just couldn't get into that storyline.

Has to be killing off Hal Jordan for Kyle Raynor .

I was dumbstruck , speechless and angry .

This was such a major flop of an idea that all of the fan grumbling is finally getting Hal to return acclaim.gif...took long enough. Don't let the door hit ya going out Kyle boo.gif

When George Perez Left New Teen Titans

The horror of it all.

A not so Close 2nd "Days of Future PRESENT" Which ran in Mutant and an FF annual in the early 90s. IT was supposed to tie up continuity, er well needless to say.