• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of a perfectionist are you ?

34 posts in this topic

How much of a perfectionist are you when it comes to completing your collection ?

Admittedly I didn't have to go too far back when I started my back issue habit, and NM copies of the LSH's Adventure run or for that matter Action run, were pretty scarce in England even in the mid 80's, but i still managed to get quite a number.

However I did obtain every appearance in NM or better, either in their own mag or guesting elsewhere from then on (save for the collectors edition which is tough as nuts to find in NM due to its sheer size compared to the size of spinner racks) , but during the 90's and upto the mid zero's when I last collected on a monthly basis, it became an apparent major trend on DC's part to start guesting as many people as possible in as many books as they could. (Even the LSH, which upto that point fared better than most books due to the vast majority of their stories taking place 1000 into the future of DC's timeline).

Sure, I got those guest appearances at the time, but now, when I've been rereading every comic to ever feature the LSH from scratch, I've taken the line of if the guest spot doesn't reference either the main mag itself during the course of the story (in an editorial aside), or the main mag doesn't reference at any time the comic that the guest spot appears in during the course of a story, then I can do without the guest spot appearance in my collection, full stop.

Too many un-necessary, un-referenced guest spots is simply overkill, and maybe it's because i'm older now, or more picky, or simply more careful with my money, but I'm not into that anymore.

How about the rest of you ? Where do you draw the lines ?

Since I'm unwilling to pay nose-bleed prices, and I focus primarily on targets of opportunity, I'm ultimately not likely to complete anything. :P

However, my collection does have spots of glory. :banana:

I used to be all about completing runs, but am now seriously considering dumping a lot of books and just focusing on groups of issues that I'm passionate about. It is cheaper and takes up a lot less space!

I've toyed with ideas like just dumping Avengers 125 up, but never followed through except for my Conans. I got rid of everything 25-up long ago. I also got rid of SSOC 21-up many, many years ago, as I couldn't see myself ever-rereading how many ever of those B&W magazines that were printed. I've been looking at that Simpsons ad in the WTB thread, and thinking about getting rid of 21-up, but I always think I might read them sometime in the future - there's lots of good stuff in those books.

I'm such a perfectionist that I want to hack into your member account just to edit the headline of this thread and take out the extra space you put before the question mark.

I don't care too much about grade. VF will always be fine with me, even on moderns. If it's an older series and I get it cheap then FN is acceptable no problem. I have comics in worse condition that I like just fine too. But I do like to track down every issue, excluding variants.

I want to complete my run! But I want to complete my run mostly for reading. Thus, grade isn't the most important thing. A bigger issue is it a book that I can read a few times, and that hopefully one of my children can read a few times.

At the same time, I try to get key issues or issues I'm passionate about in good shape. My Keys I guess you could call them.

It is all for fun though.

Since I'm unwilling to pay nose-bleed prices, and I focus primarily on targets of opportunity, I'm ultimately not likely to complete anything. :P

However, my collection does have spots of glory. :banana:

Same here ... targets of opportunity ... not likely to complete anything ... spots of glory*.

*Though I do understand that there is an ointment for this.

I was a perfectionist before I was introduced to CGC grading. Now I am an ultra mega perfectionist. It really is a shame when sometimes I go to a show and find a great looking book at a great price and upon closer inspection find a minor flaw that takes it out of uber high grade. These are things that never bothered me before, but now? Ugh.

As for completing runs. I did that for a while and once I realized I was spending a lot of money to not actually read the books I decided to shift focus on what I really wanted.

I was a perfectionist before I was introduced to CGC grading. Now I am an ultra mega perfectionist.

+1

This place seems to have an effect on people like that. I've become way more of a perfectionist thanks to CGC and this place. However, I do like it.

I'm such a perfectionist that I want to hack into your member account just to edit the headline of this thread and take out the extra space you put before the question mark.

+1

It's driving me crazy also!

I was a perfectionist before I was introduced to CGC grading. Now I am an ultra mega perfectionist.

+1

This place seems to have an effect on people like that. I've become way more of a perfectionist thanks to CGC and this place. However, I do like it.

+2

its a disease!

I used to be a perfectionist,and my Bronze through Modern keys are crazy awesome.Then I realized I can't afford 9.8 AF 15s and 9.8 Hulk 1s and other big keys of that era in high grade,then I learned humility.Now I am happy just owning one in just about any grade. (shrug)

I have been toying with the idea of selling off the bulk of my Amazing Spider-man raw collection. Toying with it...

I have a complete set but for how long can this continue ? I mean, I don't even like the direction the book has taken since issue 546.