• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of a perfectionist are you ?

34 posts in this topic

Oh, I want 'em all. I want 'em bad. I want 'em NOW.

I have in the last few years started collection Action Comics, and my notebook numbering starts with issue 1 and runs through issue 400

A dream, but a nice dream.

I think I can eventually fill in all the SA Marvel and DC and Charlton and Harvey titles I'm pursuing, but I'll never get complete runs of any of the GA books.

Even my Superman run, (Chasing 1 through 150) will never be complete because I wont give $25K for a rough copy of #1. My 2 is coverless and missing the last ad page, but 3 and up are all complete reader issues, with the one exception that the 17 is coverless, and it only took me about 3 years to do it. Working on GA Subby, Leading Comics (hero issues) and a few others, but the same thing holds true here also. I can't afford the early issues, and barring a big Lotto win or the dream garage sale, it'll never happen. Doesn't stop me for wanting every last issue, though, lol

(Oh, I might finish off the Leading, it's not that long a run)

Sitting here thinking,

If I did sell off Amazing Spider-man 102- Current ( -101, 122, 123, 129 and 194) it would justify more purchases of Golden Age Superman and Batman WWII issues.

I used to be all about completing runs, but am now seriously considering dumping a lot of books and just focusing on groups of issues that I'm passionate about. It is cheaper and takes up a lot less space!

I've toyed with ideas like just dumping Avengers 125 up, but neve r followed through except for my Conans. I got rid of everything 25-up long ago. I also got rid of SSOC 21-up many, many years ago, as I couldn't see myself ever-rereading how many ever of those B&W magazines that were printed. I've been looking at that Simpsons ad in the WTB thread, and thinking about getting rid of 21-up, but I always think I might read them sometime in the future - there's lots of good stuff in those books.

hm be sure to PM me if you change your mind regarding your Simpsons books....

When you collect ALL DC comics including the dratted variants and

proms & previews, you cannot be a perfectionist unless you have more

money than Bill Gates. While I do upgrade books at times, I have a lot

of books that are less than fine. I would like to get them all in VF or better.

For the main DC collection (ignoring promos, variants, previews, etc.),

I am missing about 40 issues (which includes most of the real

expensive ones). While that sound impressive, the fact is that another

115 issues are incomplete (3/4 cover, coverless, CFO, or fragmentary)

and there are also some restored books I would like to replace.

Perfection is not a sensible approach unless: 1) you have a lot of money;

2) you are collecting no more than 1000 comics; AND 3) all the comics

in your collection are less than 20 years old. Anything else is madness.

I make no claims of sanity.

At this point, I've limited myself to only two deep runs---Wonder Woman and Lois Lane. Other than those, I chase small runs and a hodge-podge of GA books.

I used to have a lot of complete or near-complete SA and bronze runs---ASM, Iron Man, Avengers, FF, Batman, Detective, etc. I've sold off most of that stuff to buy GA in recent years.