• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ACTION COMICS #61 - Classic Cover?

15 posts in this topic

Can any of you Golden Age fans explain to me why this cover is denoted as 'classic.' It caught my attention whilst i was looking on Comiclinks upcoming focused auction simply because i cant recall seeing a copy before but i just dont understand whats so special about it. Anyone else agree?

Perhaps some people really are infatuated with putting out oil well fires?

My question is: Why does Comiclink call it a "classic radiation cover" when the oil wells in the background are a dead giveaway as to the actual subject matter of the cover (and 1943 was way to early for a radiation scare anyway)? Does anyone remember the movie Hellfighters?

Seems like a bit of misinformation that Comiclink should correct.

See a nice copy in person and you'll understand why. The colors, the white logo and contrasts. It's one of my faves.

(thumbs u

One of my faves as well. Beautiful colors, and spectacular drawing/inking by Jack Burnley. Here's my copy:

action61.jpg

Perhaps some people really are infatuated with putting out oil well fires?

My question is: Why does Comiclink call it a "classic radiation cover" when the oil wells in the background are a dead giveaway as to the actual subject matter of the cover (and 1943 was way to early for a radiation scare anyway)? Does anyone remember the movie Hellfighters?

Seems like a bit of misinformation that Comiclink should correct.

Overstreet has it designated the same way.