• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

red dawn

49 posts in this topic

Always makes me lol when people are upset that Hollywood is remaking their favorite movie. Don't like it? Don't see it. There is no reason to take it personal and get butthurt over it. Vote with your dollar.

end of.

If you want to see the same theme handled correctly, check out Tomorrow When the War Began... a 2010 Australian film that may be the best treatment of the subject (based on a 7-volume series of books, the author was nevertheless likely inspired by "Red Dawn"). I was hooked, and I don't even usually care for "action films" as such.

Book series you say? Dish it girlfriend

I've not seen the books myself, but the "Tomorrow" series is by Australian author John Marsden. The movie is Australia's all-time biggest-budgeted film, and is part of a trilogy (parts 2 and 3 are in the works now).

Seriously, i think Hollywood might be retarded!

You do NOT try to remake a AWESOME movie, remake movies. 1st King Kong, then Conan, then the Thing and now Red Dawn. Each one crappier than the next :facepalm:

There is one word behind all this Hollywood idiocy: Pre-qualified.

We are all pre-qualified to see Red Dawn because we're familiar with the original. It's the lamest, laziest, soulless, creativity-lacking, minimally-inspired sales tactic producers, sales people and pitchmen use.

It's not really Hollywood's fault, it's more of an indictment on the lack of intelligence on the part of modern consumers for allowing themselves to support this kind of garbage. Sadly, the majority of people go see tripe like this, which is why it continues to go on.

Thankfully the 2nd part of your equation is turning out to be false - most of these remakes are bombing at the box office right now.

That's a good thing. Although, one of the saddest remakes made was 21 Jump Street. It was so hilarious, so awesome - it didn't need to be a remake. It could have stood on it's own without any boost from a 25 year old franchise. That's the real frustrating part about all of this - the Hollywood perception seems to be that nothing good can be made or supported unless it's got some pre-qualifying aspect to it.

I loathe remakes because it dilutes expectations and discourages creativity, risk and vision amongst filmmakers and producers. If we're lucky, lazy producers will trade crappy remake projects for pre-story boarded comic book films, and we can be back on track for interesting films in Hollywood.

I've not seen the books myself, but the "Tomorrow" series is by Australian author John Marsden. The movie is Australia's all-time biggest-budgeted film, and is part of a trilogy (parts 2 and 3 are in the works now).

The lead actress isn't too hateful either...

tomorrow%2B10.jpg

If you want to see the same theme handled correctly, check out Tomorrow When the War Began... a 2010 Australian film that may be the best treatment of the subject (based on a 7-volume series of books, the author was nevertheless likely inspired by "Red Dawn"). I was hooked, and I don't even usually care for "action films" as such.

wolverines2b.jpg

wolverines2b.jpg

That's awesome!!! lol

:applause:

Book series you say? Dish it girlfriend

Awesome thanks! Books are on Amazon

Reading some of the reviews, it says its geared more towards teens.

Well, I dislike teen movies even more than I dislike (typical) action movies. And I'll grant you, I ended up watching this almost by accident... the box with a bunch of armed teens staring forward didn't give me a lot of hope.

And the first 15 minutes or so seem like it's going to be pretty routine (aside from the nice Australian scenery)... they set up the usual cliched characters... spunky farmgirl, nerdish guy working in family restaurant, town prankster, rich girl, etc. But where it differs from usual U.S. fare is that it fleshes these characters out over the course of the film... they have distinct, and often complex, personalities. And the "heroes" accomplish stuff... but not nearly to the over-the-top extent of most American action movies where the feats get so ridiculous it yanks you right out of the plot. Is it realistic? No. But it's more grounded in acceptable suspension of disbelief than many recent others. (in my opinion, anyway).

It's not really Hollywood's fault, it's more of an indictment on the lack of intelligence on the part of modern consumers for allowing themselves to support this kind of garbage. Sadly, the majority of people go see tripe like this, which is why it continues to go on.

I think it’s correct. As long as people buy by habit, they will continue to do bad things.

Parts of the new Red Dawn were filmed in Detroit. (Nearby for me.) A friend of mine helped with the film and is an extra in it. I'm still not sure I'll see it. I really didn't like the original when it came out. Maybe because I wasn't into the "Brat Pack" genre movies with the exception of John Hughes ones which were funny back in the day.

I would not consider the original Red Dawn a great film by any stretch so, naturally, why would I want to see a remake. lol

I would not consider the original Red Dawn a great film by any stretch so, naturally, why would I want to see a remake. lol

I don't think anyone would call it a great movie, but it is a lot of fun. One of my favorites