• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xmen 1 resto job

62 posts in this topic

I thought I'd share some photos from an Xmen 1 that I'm having Classics Incorporated work on.

I bought the xmen 1 as a 1.0. It was missing the "mast head" at the top. We see these low grade comics all of the time, but the reason I bought this one was that it was otherwise in really high grade condition. Back cover was amazing, spine was amazing, pages look to be white (except for the top of the splash page).

When I talked to Matt at CC he told me I needed to find a halfway decent top of a cover of X1 for them to graft onto my comic. That was tough because I needed the price to be right too. I decided to look for an X1 that was incomplete or that had major damage to the comic (except for the portion I needed). After about 6 months I finally found one for about $300 and sent in all of the pieces to Classics. That was nearly 10 months ago.

I will show you the "before" pic, the "after graft pic", the "after color touch" pic, and then the full cover finished pic. They didn't have a pic for me yet of the comic reassembled.

Let me know what grade you think it might get.

BEFORE

xmen_1_cxover_before.jpg

AFTER THE GRAFT

xmen_1_cover_after_graft.jpg

AFTER THE COLOR TOUCH

xmen_1_cover_after_ct.jpg

FULL COVER AFTER THE COLOR TOUCH

x_cover_open_after_ct.jpg

Depends on what it looks like on the inside of the cover.

Ah, come to think of it I don't know if I've ever seen anyone post pics of the inside front cover after a resto job. I guess this is why. I wondered what the stigmata against them was. Thanks. But still, if you are going to slab it and presumably never open the book again, who cares?

With all the work done it has to get at least a 9.0

I also wonder what an extensively professionally restored book could sell for.

I think restored gets an overly harsh downgrade, which is why several of my key books are restored. Only way I was gonna afford most of them.

I bought the original X1 (missing the masthead) for $523.

I bought the low grade X1 (to get the masthead piece from) for $330

Classics Incorporated charged me $605 for the resto job.

My total cost is $1458 for what I believe will be an 8.0 to 9.0 EP X1

The last 8.0 EP sold for $1600

There is no 9.0 EP to compare with, but a 9.0 MP sold for $2550 in 2007

Keep in mind I'll be selling the remaining X1 (that I got the masthead from) and I should get at least $100 for that. That would make my total cost right around $1350.

I think all in all it's going to be a good deal especially if I can squeak a 9.0 out of the grade.

Keep in mind I'll be selling the remaining X1 (that I got the masthead from) and I should get at least $100 for that. That would make my total cost right around $1350.

I think all in all it's going to be a good deal especially if I can squeak a 9.0 out of the grade.

Not to mention all the fun you had...

Not to mention all the fun you had...

It was fun to assemble everything for the project. It wasn't fun to wait 10 months. Actually I have no idea when I will hold it in my hands since it still hasn't been sent to CGC yet.

I hope you get the grade you are after. From what I have seen, CGC can really pummel restored books, for no apparent reason. This is a great-looking copy - the experience must have been cool, despite the wait.

Is there still a crease on the bottom right corner? That would keep it at 8.0 at most I think.

Here's a picture of the right corner before I sent it to classicsinc. The corner was really nice. (It kind of looks like they may have crunched the corner while it was in their possession).

Hopefully the corner was fully pressed out. It looks like they did an amazing job, but I have to admit it's a little concerning to see that crunched bottom right corner on the before pic, because it wasn't there when I had it.

P1040344.jpg

My guess is moderate 9.0

It won't get a Moderate.

Classics already told me it will get an "extensive" resto label. I guess since it's such a large piece CGC has to give it "extensive" even though overall they're not doing too much resto.

Large piece graft + small amount of leaf casting + small color touch = Extensive

I will be very happy with a 9.0 EP :wishluck: