• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xmen 1 resto job

62 posts in this topic

With all the work done it has to get at least a 9.0

I also wonder what an extensively professionally restored book could sell for.

I think restored gets an overly harsh downgrade, which is why several of my key books are restored. Only way I was gonna afford most of them.

Extensive = 20-25% of apparent grade guide value

Moderate = 30-35% of apparent grade guide value

Slight = 40-45% of apparent grade guide value

Is the industry standard. I would also say X-Men #1 is too new of a book to have restored.

If it gets a 9.0 the right buyer may pay 4400 for it but if it gets an 8.0 he might get 1600 for it. I only suggest restorations on Golden Age and back. The All Star Comics #8 I am having restored will come back somewhere in between 6.0 to 8.0 at 6.0 it could sell for later 5,400 and at 8.0 it could sell for 10,800 on a low end.

I think restored gets an overly harsh downgrade, which is why several of my key books are restored. Only way I was gonna afford most of them.

Is the industry standard. I would also say X-Men #1 is too new of a book to have restored.

If it gets a 9.0 the right buyer may pay 4400 for it but if it gets an 8.0 he might get 1600 for it. I only suggest restorations on Golden Age and back. The All Star Comics #8 I am having restored will come back somewhere in between 6.0 to 8.0 at 6.0 it could sell for later 5,400 and at 8.0 it could sell for 10,800 on a low end.

Do you have pics of your All Star 8 restoration. I'd love to see where it started and where it's going. I have an AllStar 8 too that needs resto. My spine is split on the cover & 1st wrap. It looks pretty good otherwise.

I am awaiting to send the comic at the beginning of the month to the restorer for a much more accurate estimate of what it will cost to restore the comic. Below is the comic in its current condition. I am going to use http://herorestoration.net/ myself. I am very impressed with his overall work. Check out this link here http://herorestoration.net/119339.html . Check out his All Star Comics 3 restoration job. Mike does great work and I like his gallery better than Classic Incorperateds as far as resto work goes. KGrHqJh4E-byvCz4dBPuEMh33w60_57.jpg[/img] KGrHqJlQE-30EBRgGBPuFCCW4Dw60_57.jpg[/img] cutpart2.png[/img] cutpart1.png[/img]

Do you have pics of your All Star 8 restoration. I'd love to see where it started and where it's going. I have an AllStar 8 too that needs resto. My spine is split on the cover & 1st wrap. It looks pretty good otherwise.

I am awaiting to send the comic at the beginning of the month to the restorer for a much more accurate estimate of what it will cost to restore the comic. Below is the comic in its current condition. I am going to use http://herorestoration.net/ myself. I am very impressed with his overall work. Check out this link here http://herorestoration.net/119339.html . Check out his All Star Comics 3 restoration job. Mike does great work and I like his gallery better than Classic Incorperateds as far as resto work goes. KGrHqJh4E-byvCz4dBPuEMh33w60_57.jpg[/img] KGrHqJlQE-30EBRgGBPuFCCW4Dw60_57.jpg[/img] cutpart2.png[/img] cutpart1.png[/img]

Your's looks a lot like mine. Mine doesn't have cutouts on the inside though. How do they restore that???? I'll dig out my copy & post some photos for you.

Your's looks a lot like mine. Mine doesn't have cutouts on the inside though. How do they restore that???? I'll dig out my copy & post some photos for you.

It is called Leaf Casting they can do it for covers and pages. You should check out Master Control Program's website herorestoration.net he has great pictures in the gallery of what he has done with comics in worse shape than this http://herorestoration.net/119339.html take a look at the Batman issue the first one in the gallery

Depends on what it looks like on the inside of the cover.

Yeah, when you're grafting the masthead, the inside front cover rarely lines up very well. They didn't send me a photo of the inside so I really don't know.

After lining up the exterior cover art...the masthead lined up horribly with the interior art.

Was offset over a 1/16"

After grafting the covers together, and scraping off all the text and art that didn't line up.

The casted top edge, and BC spine were CT'ed as well as the missing text and art.

Looks pretty decent, considering.

toddsx1interiorcoveropenafter_zps1ffdb8ab.jpg

Wow. I am always incredibly impressed by these restoration jobs. I know there is a stigma against restored comics, but this just looks amazing.

Restoration's stigma is thanks to the 80s and 90s when people trimmed books and did crappy work on keys.

The stigma is eroding slowly but surely as restoration has become a LOT better and as people learn more about what it can and can't do, and just how expensive and time consuming the work can be.

There are some collectors who will never buy a restored book (mostly the high dollar guys), for whatever reason, but that's ok. It just means that restored books will remain affordable, though as ultra keys become unapproachable for some people, I think we'll see some former haters change their minds. I know I have seen some people who are anti-restoration marveling at the quality of the work being done now and talking about work done by Classics on ultra keys as being a level way above the old guard.

If it's any indication, we've had a ton of previously restored books submitted to be, "Re- Restored"

And I am talking about books that were restored even 10-15 years ago.

Not only was much of the work sub par, but it was done on books that never should have been touched in the first place. Crazy to think someone would take VG GA Key books and restore them.

But at the same time, they make good resto candidates today because much of the work, or even damage(trimming) was already done.

Time will tell if enough people get to see firsthand restored books today to alter public perception in our hobby.

reddwarf, I finally got around to snapping a couple pics of my AllStar 8. Ours look pretty similar.

Mine has a completely split spine (has archival tape on it right now). My 1st wrap is completely split too. Matt at CC said he could take this to about a 6.5. I added the photo of the page where your comic has the cut outs.

P1060689.jpg

P1060690.jpg

P1060691.jpg

P1060692.jpg

Great stuff and congrats on getting it all finished up. Turned out really well. Helps that you picked such a great looking book to start with just the one big flaw.

What happened with the donor book?