• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xmen 1 resto job

62 posts in this topic

It came back as a fracking 7.0!!!!!

It looks SO much better! What's up with that? And I can attest to the fact that the interior was gorgeous, so no hidden tears or folds to bring down the grade.

All of the corners are sharp. The spine is near flawless.

There is one nice thing though...... They only gave it "moderate" resto instead of "Extensive", so that's a small trade off.

P1060761-1.jpg

Wow. I would have been way off with my guess, then. If nothing about the interior dinged the grade, what could be the possible reasons? (shrug)

Grading is more than just a 2 dimensional pic of the front and back covers.

Possibly staining on cover that doesn't show up on the outside or stains on the interior?

Also, there does seem to be a lot of wear at that top staple from what I can see in the pic.

If you really want to know, order the notes.

I think Matt & Kenny were thinking 8.0 to 8.5 and many times I have found them to grade conservatively. But 7.0? Ugh.

Still, it's pretty. I know a lot of people don't want to have anything to do with a resto comic, but for people on a budget this is a nice one to have.

Well I wouldn't have been too shocked for anything from 8 to 9.2. But 7? I'd ask for the notes, yeah the top staple is rough, but 7 seems a bit odd to me. Must be something else.

Moreover, moderate seems just as odd. If replacing half the cover and large amounts of CT isn't extensive what is?

Moreover, moderate seems just as odd. If replacing half the cover and large amounts of CT isn't extensive what is?

It makes you think about the books that have gotten the extensive stamp no?

Remember pretty much NO work was done on the comic book below the logo. And pretty much NO work was done on the back cover and inside. I'm not sure if I would say an Extensive amount of color touch was done.... maybe.

Matt himself told me it would get the Extensive label, so that's a bit of a nice surprise that it got the "M" but the 7.0 is a head scratcher for me.

How much does CGC charge for the notes? Is it $10?

Remember pretty much NO work was done on the comic book below the logo. And pretty much NO work was done on the back cover and inside. I'm not sure if I would say an Extensive amount of color touch was done.... maybe.

Matt himself told me it would get the Extensive label, so that's a bit of a nice surprise that it got the "M" but the 7.0 is a head scratcher for me.

Depends on value of the comic book.

Depends on value of the comic book.

Of Course..... So I'll get hit with a hefty "notes" fee on this one. And the notes will read:

"Large piece added on front cover. moderate amount of color touch at top of front cover, cover cleaned. top staple reinforced"

I already know everything that was done to the comic so why would I pay for the notes. Do the notes also tell you WHY it's not graded higher even though it has the "apparent look" of a higher graded comic?

I had the Moderate part correct, the grade wrong. Solid looking 7.0.

Of Course..... So I'll get hit with a hefty "notes" fee on this one.

It depends on the tier you sent the book under.

There's a max price, I think it's $15 or $20 or so for walkthrough books.

It's not going to break the bank.

FWIW, I'm surprised the book got a Moderate as well but I personally think there is not a big difference in price between a Mod 7.0 and an Extensive 9.0.

FWIW, I'm surprised the book got a Moderate as well but I personally think there is not a big difference in price between a Mod 7.0 and an Extensive 9.0.

Yes, and I'm thankful for that.

I like that when I sell it I'll be able to provide the buyer with photos of what was done to the comic.

I don't buy restored comics very often but I've always wished I could have photos documenting the work.

You simply cant grade a restored book like an unrestored book. There are normally issues with gloss uniformity that make scans look incredible but the book will look less than 9.2 in hand.

6.5 was my guess from before, but it sure looks nice (thumbs u

Although not really accurate or consistent with CGC grading, the moderate label is a really nice trade off as many people hate extensive restored comics, it makes you think frankenbook.

CGC is all over the board when it comes to grading restored comics, so you always take a grading risk there. It would be interesting if you resubmit, you might just get a 9.0 extensive depending on the grader/day? I don't know why, but often times cgc restored grading will come back 1-2 full grades below what the book actually looks like and you have to wonder what they are thinking. It already lists it as apparent on the label, so why ding it so far below what it "apparently " looks like?

Final verdict, given all the effort, expense and year wait, was it worth it all for 7.0 purple label? Are you thinking of re-submitting?

Final verdict, given all the effort, expense and year wait, was it worth it all for 7.0 purple label? Are you thinking of re-submitting?

Good question....

This was the 1st comic I've ever had "restored". I've had comics pressed before, and once had a spine roll removed, but this is the first actual restoration I've had done.

I think I'm going to do ok on it, even though it took a year and my overall cost was $1500, I've already had an offer on it for $2050.

So, final verdict: Turning $1500 into $2050 in 12 months time is about a +35% return. Yes, it was worth it. That beats out just about any other investment. And it was kind of fun.