• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Provenance vs. Pressing

38 posts in this topic

I just bought a Silver Age collection that will have the original owner's provenance indicated on the CGC labels. (Like the Nicholas Cage books). We'll be sending in 700+ books to be graded, but a few of the key books might benefit from pressing before we ship 'em off.

Would love to hear some opinions on pressing books with provenance vs leaving them as is. I didn't think I was a purist, but a part of me hates to press any of these, even if bumps 'em in grade. Am I nuts?

(shrug)

Though my fellow Boardies are correct that if you don't press, someone else will I concur with your feelings of leaving the books as is. If these are keepers for your collection I would definitely leave them as is. It doesn't preclude you from pressing later. Food for thought. I had hundreds of raw,virgin books from a pedigree collection and did not press any of them. Heck, lots of them got 9.8's anyway. It is very satisfying knowing your 9.8 is untouched. The one key book I got pressed was somehow damaged in the process. It happens.

There's something to be said for driving prices higher with an original owner collection that's never been pressed.

Yep, seems like a lot is often paid based on wishful thinking with the actual results turning out less than hoped.

There's something to be said for driving prices higher with an original owner collection that's never been pressed.

And even more to be said about pressing that OO collection and the buyers thinking that they haven't been pressed. hm

It doesn't preclude you from pressing later. Food for thought. I had hundreds of raw,virgin books from a pedigree collection and did not press any of them. Heck, lots of them got 9.8's anyway. It is very satisfying knowing your 9.8 is untouched. The one key book I got pressed was somehow damaged in the process. It happens.

Is it possible to have them pressed after slabbing with these pseudo-pedigreed books? I was thinking that CGC wouldn't reslab if I cracked, pressed, and resubbed.

If you plan to sell you'd be crazy not to press...if these are keepers, I'd leave them be.

+1 prescreen for 9.8's and press the rest...if your selling them! Wait are you sending all 700+ or just the higher grade ones?

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm slabbing all 700+ books. Not planning on selling them. Basically replacing my SA collection with these.

And even more to be said about pressing that OO collection and the buyers thinking that they haven't been pressed. hm

hm

It doesn't preclude you from pressing later. Food for thought. I had hundreds of raw,virgin books from a pedigree collection and did not press any of them. Heck, lots of them got 9.8's anyway. It is very satisfying knowing your 9.8 is untouched. The one key book I got pressed was somehow damaged in the process. It happens.

Is it possible to have them pressed after slabbing with these pseudo-pedigreed books? I was thinking that CGC wouldn't reslab if I cracked, pressed, and resubbed.

Absolutely. You can crack, press, and resub as many times as you like.

If you plan to sell you'd be crazy not to press...if these are keepers, I'd leave them be.

+1 prescreen for 9.8's and press the rest...if your selling them! Wait are you sending all 700+ or just the higher grade ones?

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm slabbing all 700+ books. Not planning on selling them. Basically replacing my SA collection with these.

$35k to slab books for your own collection? Rock on.

As a suggestion, to start I would submit in small groupings, making sure there is no restoration and they grade high enough to justify the cost involved. Good luck !

I personally hate the whole concept of pressing, however I've come to fully accept it as part of hobby. Once CGC started to recognize it as legit, I have no doubt that a lot of the high end books out there (and in my small collection for that matter) have been squished and I wouldn't even know it. To be honest, I don't want to know.

Bottomline, I say go a head if it will maximize your profit. It's too late for the hobby to go back.

lol

I always wondered why people apparently assume "OO collection" means some rube that has no clue he should press his 9.4 ASM #3 meh

Though my fellow Boardies are correct that if you don't press, someone else will I concur with your feelings of leaving the books as is. If these are keepers for your collection I would definitely leave them as is. It doesn't preclude you from pressing later. Food for thought. I had hundreds of raw,virgin books from a pedigree collection and did not press any of them. Heck, lots of them got 9.8's anyway. It is very satisfying knowing your 9.8 is untouched. The one key book I got pressed was somehow damaged in the process. It happens.

"The one key book I got pressed was somehow damaged in the process. It happens."

Could you expand on this (if you feel comfortable talking about it)? I just sent some books to be pressed (first time submitter). Were you contacted about this or was this due to a pressing you did yourself?

I am just curious as I do not think this would happen (in my case), but I was always curious as to whether or not anyone ever got contacted by a 'presser' that their books were damaged in the process.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

If you are getting them graded for your own collection, and you are not comfortable with the idea of pressing, then why would you consider having them pressed?