• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another one from the tomato boxes: Captain Marvel #34

16 posts in this topic

Nice! Tough one, though. I'm not sure how much CGC would deduct for the printer's crease along the right edge. Also, is that a light color breaking crease URC FC?

If so, I'm gonna go 8.5... confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm going to take a shot at this - 9.2. Corners look good I don't think the top RC breaks colour but the printers crease stumps me. Would that qualify as a 'minor' bindery/printing defect?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Bill

It is what it is - printer's creases bother many collectors. None of us are absolutely sure of how CGC deals with these, other than on a book-by-book basis. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

For example, we see an otherwise immaculate Bronze Age book with a printer's crease that CGC grades a 9.4 - would it have been a 9.6 without the crease? Your guess is as good as mine. juggle.gif

We all have seen CGC 9.4's with printer's creases, anyone have a 9.6 to post? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm going to take a shot at this - 9.2. Corners look good I don't think the top RC breaks colour but the printers crease stumps me. Would that qualify as a 'minor' bindery/printing defect?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Bill

I wavered between 9.0 and 9.2 but the wear on the upper right corner covers too much area, and that, along with the edge crumpling along the right edge of the book, keeps it out of NM- for me. But it's very close.

I'll pay double for all of the VF 8.0's in petey's collection!!! 27_laughing.gifhi.gif

It looks like a light crease in the upper right corner - are you saying it's only dirt?

Nope, it's a VL fold (if you can call it that even), not a crease, not dirt - it almost looks like there was some production thing going on - see how the URFC is not perfectly square? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I also say 9.0-9.2. Not sure whats going on along the bottom cover edge inside of the bolder/rock. Is that color breaking?

BTW: Nitro kinda reminds me of ol' "Kahn" from the wrath of... grin.gif

I also say 9.0-9.2. Not sure whats going on along the bottom cover edge inside of the bolder/rock. Is that color breaking?

BTW: Nitro kinda reminds me of ol' "Kahn" from the wrath of... grin.gif

It's out of my hands now, but I believe that "feathering" is part of the art - see the same type of rock to the above right. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif It could be edge wear, though - Dice? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BTW: Very Ricardo Montalban. 27_laughing.gif

I'm gonna say VF+ 8.5. Between the URC funkiness, the production crease (which I don't think would affect the grade much), the overhang along the right edge of FC, and the minor wear to top and bottom edges, it might even come in at an 8.0 as uclapeterg estimated. If it were a late SA book it might fetch a 9.0, but as a BA book, it's going to be judged more harshly...