• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC and mis-wraps, do you avoid them?

45 posts in this topic

Just browsing around on the bay and I see this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=300777286342

Super cool book, but spider-woman 1 has a tendency for the 'R' in Spectacular to be cut in half or off all together.

Would this type of mis-wrap bother you as a collector even if CGC says its still a 9.8?

(and if this is a board members auction, very nice sig. Stan normally doesn't seem to sign in good spots on the cover)

I can't see the linked book. However, mis-wraps are on a case by case basis. I have a book where it is even throughout and it doesn't bother me. I have another book where the mis-wrap really bothers me, and I wish I'd noticed it before I purchased. At first glance it looks like a really nice book, but then up close you can tell how bad the wrap is.

I can't see the linked book.

I couldn't see it initially either. Might have something to do with it being a ebay.ca link. Anyway, here it is on ebay.com

Ah thanks!

That is what my book looks like and it doesn't bother me because it is uniform.

I have a book where it is the reverse with the front cover showin uniform on the back. It really bothers me.

Not that big of a deal for me because it's an even miswrap.

Same here. I'd discount it slightly for the miswrap being there. Uneven miswraps are the deal breakers, although all told I believe I still have some in my collection for my more naiive days.

Miswraps didn't used to bother me until I hung out here. Now I'm more attracted to perfect wraps. I sure wouldn't pay the CGC premium for 9.4, let alone a 9.6/9.8, if the book had a fugly wrap.

Minor amounts of miswrap don't bother me - say as much as 3/16" either way. A bit of white on the FC or a bit of the FC on the BC. More than that bothers me.

What does bother me is the grading with the miswrap. 9.8 is an awfully high grade for a comic not to be cut and justified properly. 9.4 sure. 9.6 well, OK. 9.8 is about as close to perfect as you can get and there shouldn't be anything that really "jumps out". Any defect should be subtle and hard to spot.

My 2cents.

Minor amounts of miswrap don't bother me - say as much as 3/16" either way. A bit of white on the FC or a bit of the FC on the BC. More than that bothers me.

What does bother me is the grading with the miswrap. 9.8 is an awfully high grade for a comic not to be cut and justified properly. 9.4 sure. 9.6 well, OK. 9.8 is about as close to perfect as you can get and there shouldn't be anything that really "jumps out". Any defect should be subtle and hard to spot.

My 2cents.

^^

Miswraps are possibly the thing I hate most.

I am mostly referring to cases where white bleeds into the front cover. The opposite does not alter the cover perception so much, so it’s a lot less annoying.

I think I have not a single comic so miswrapped in my whole collection. I prefer a lower grade book than one with a marked miswrap, although of course it depends on the color of the cover, which makes it more or less evident.

Spider-Woman #1 has a dark cover and it looks ugly.

Generally speaking, however, I absolutely agree with Tony above, I would not buy a VF-NM book with a miswrap.