• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC and mis-wraps, do you avoid them?

45 posts in this topic

An eloquent example, which I would never buy is this one

(and this is a miswrap-at-an-angle+miscut combo, the worst possible scenario). :P

That is a shame

I don't mind small miswraps as long as they are uniform.The above example looks like spine roll that was pressed.Fugly! :P

I don't mind small miswraps as long as they are uniform.The above example looks like spine roll that was pressed.Fugly! :P

Yes, you’re right. The FF #67 is not properly a miswrap, more a miscut over a severe spine-roll (at an angle). But the result is equally ugly, since a part of the cover is missing, it’s all skewed, and you couldn’t possibly fix it even by re-pressing it (assuming it can be done, don’t know about pressing, being an indigenous italian lol).

Miswraps didn't used to bother me until I hung out here. Now I'm more attracted to perfect wraps. I sure wouldn't pay the CGC premium for 9.4, let alone a 9.6/9.8, if the book had a fugly wrap.

Agreed but I think you are all nuts complaining about white on the spine more than books that say Arvel Comics or 2 cents instead of 12 cents. Miswraps to the back bugged me back when I was like 14 as I always tried to avoid them.

The whole deal breaker for me is still the fact an entire letter is missing, now I have to go look at my SW #1
I did the same. I have a nice wrap with an R on Spectacular, but I'm sure mine's not a 9.8. Maybe an 8.0. :)
Mines an 8.0 on its best day, but I just bought a lot sight unseen with a #1, fingers crossed.

It entirely depends on the book. If it is a Marvel than absolutely not because a better centered copy will surely turn up. If its something more uncommon, you have to take what you can get mis wrap or not.
Very good point. hm

I see mis-wraps as a defect and never understood how these can get 9.8. How can these mis-wraps not been seen as defects and get such a high grade?

But that's just my 2cents

I tend to agree. I wish CGC had taken them into account right from the start.

I see mis-wraps as a defect and never understood how these can get 9.8. How can these mis-wraps not been seen as defects and get such a high grade?

But that's just my 2cents

I tend to agree. I wish CGC had taken them into account right from the start.

I agree. Aesthetics should matter as well if we (as customers) are paying a premium for a 9.6/9.8 grade. There should be an allowance for a miswrap based on the grade. I think we should lobby for that.

Just browsing around on the bay and I see this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=300777286342

Super cool book, but spider-woman 1 has a tendency for the 'R' in Spectacular to be cut in half or off all together.

Would this type of mis-wrap bother you as a collector even if CGC says its still a 9.8?

(and if this is a board members auction, very nice sig. Stan normally doesn't seem to sign in good spots on the cover)

On a side note, the seller of that Spider-Woman looks confused, as he states:

«With new Spidey movie out in Jul this will be hotter than ever!»

Last time I checked, Peter Parker and Jessica Drew rarely got in touch… lol

With an Infantino signature, that would be cool! ;)