• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America 1 on Ebay

45 posts in this topic

Would someone explain to me why this Cap 1 didn't get a PLOD?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380471582769&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

I've seen CGC give blue labels to Golden Age comics with tape or with glue, but this is the 1st time I've seen them give a Blue label to a comic with a "color touch".

I think if I owned this comic I would want the "very small amount of color touch & glue" removed so there wouldn't be any notes about it on the label. Surely it would get the same grade.

Sparkle City is also selling this Wonder Woman 1 CGC 3.0

Take a look at the back cover. Corner missing, obvious water damage, probably rusty staples. 3.0 seems a little generous.

I agree, I have a problem with a big chunk missing on the back cover for the 3.0. I think 2.5 would have been more appropriate but hey, what do I know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380471582769&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

I've seen CGC give blue labels to Golden Age comics with tape or with glue, but this is the 1st time I've seen them give a Blue label to a comic with a "color touch".

I think if I owned this comic I would want the "very small amount of color touch & glue" removed so there wouldn't be any notes about it on the label. Surely it would get the same grade.

This upper mid-grade unrestored example of the Simon and Kirby classic will be hotly contested. Featuring a classic hitler cover and driven by recent Hollywood success, this issue has been on a rapid rise in value the past 2 years. We expect more of the same going forward from one of marvel's most endearing characters. Serial number 1015601001.

The above quote from sparklecitycomics is more than a little disingenuous.

I don't care what label CGC decided to give the book, color touch and glue is restoration.

I think those grader's notes on the cover will seriously affect the final value.

I know CGC only puts the word "very" next to "small color touch" when it is a seriously small color touch. That's why I wonder if it would just be better for the owner to remove the color touch.

Even though it's a Blue label it's going to have a restored stigma.

It has always been my understanding that CGC will slap a blue label on a book where the color touch is so minute and insignificant that it could be nothing but a stray mark but will note it anyway. They are bit more lenient with Golden Age books.

As an aside... I was wondering about this scenario:

Say for example I have a copy of a book where there is a color breaking crease with white going through a black area. If I have that book signed and the signer marks his name with black sharpie over the color breaking dot is that a signed and restored book or is that a signed universal? Does it have to do with intent?

This is one of the biggest things that bother me about cgc. People are so infatuated with blue labels. The reality the same book in a purple label would bring in a fraction. The truth to this loophole probably lies with a few collectors/dealers. If you ask me it protects certain books in the hobby but I wont speculate any further. As for the amount for it to stay a blue label is less than a pin head on a ga book based on numerous debates on the forums.

Take a look at the back cover. Corner missing, obvious water damage, probably rusty staples. 3.0 seems a little generous.

I agree, I have a problem with a big chunk missing on the back cover for the 3.0. I think 2.5 would have been more appropriate but hey, what do I know.

The H2O damage would be more of a concern to me than the piece missing on the back, as it was obviously enough to cause ink bleed. I'm guessing the white pages and fairly decent eye-appeal otherwise contributed to the grade.

When it comes to the difference between a 2.5 and a 3.0 I think eye-appeal is more of a determinant than actual grade when it comes to what someone is willing to bid.

From CGC's webiste in the FAQ section:

How will I know if a comic has had restoration?

CGC has the industry's top team of restoration detection professionals, led by Chris Friesen, Mark Haspel and Paul Litch. The restoration check is an integral part of the CGC grading team's review of your comic book, and unlike other professional services that charge up to $100 for this service, it is included at NO EXTRA CHARGE in the CGC tier price.

When detected, restoration is specifically noted on the grading label, and is visible through a different colored label, the CGC Restored label. CGC assigns restored books an apparent grade, which includes a description of slight, moderate or extensive restoration. At CGC's sole discretion, Golden Age books with very minor glue and / or color are assigned a CGC Universal label, however, description of the restoration, in general or specific terms, is disclosed. Buyers always know what they are getting with a CGC-certified comic that has been restored.

I'm the guy that has the Silver Streaks in the Sparkle City Auction -- Boy, I wish the Silver Streak #6 had come back Universal, as it has to me very minor restoration (actually I believed it had none before it got sent in and the very famous (and fair, btw) dealer I bought it from also thought it was unrestored).

That label may cost me some $, which I think is ridiculous, especially for such a rare and desirable book, but hopefully I will be proven wrong! :)

This is one of the biggest things that bother me about cgc. People are so infatuated with blue labels. The reality the same book in a purple label would bring in a fraction.

As for the amount for it to stay a blue label is less than a pin head on a ga book based on numerous debates on the forums.

I agree. I wouldn’t care at all, if those "restorations" are so minor as stated.

As long as the supposed "restoration" doesn’t damage the book (as tape does) or make it unpleasant (as evident color touch does) there shouldn’t be such a stigmatization (the colored labels, I mean).

I'm the guy that has the Silver Streaks in the Sparkle City Auction -- Boy, I wish the Silver Streak #6 had come back Universal, as it has to me very minor restoration (actually I believed it had none before it got sent in and the very famous (and fair, btw) dealer I bought it from also thought it was unrestored).

That label may cost me some $, which I think is ridiculous, especially for such a rare and desirable book, but hopefully I will be proven wrong! :)

Did you call CGC and get the graders notes? I think you might do better to have the color touch and glue removed if it's only a slight amount.

Even if the grade goes down to 7.0 or 6.5 it would be worth it if it got the Blue label.

The H2O damage would be more of a concern to me than the piece missing on the back, as it was obviously enough to cause ink bleed. I'm guessing the white pages and fairly decent eye-appeal otherwise contributed to the grade.

When it comes to the difference between a 2.5 and a 3.0 I think eye-appeal is more of a determinant than actual grade when it comes to what someone is willing to bid.

I think I saw this comic before it was slabbed in another auction. The red ink from the cover bled horribly onto the interior pages.

Did you call CGC and get the graders notes? I think you might do better to have the color touch and glue removed if it's only a slight amount.

Even if the grade goes down to 7.0 or 6.5 it would be worth it if it got the Blue label.

it's slight A. Spine looks pretty touched up. Would be impossible to remove.

I would trade an unrestored copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 5.0 for a copy in 9.0 with no more restoration than a very small amount of color touch.

So some of you mean to tell me that you will allow Stan Lee to scribble his name in black marker all over a book, but a pinhead size of color touch or someone dotting a the spine with sharpie ruins the whole book for you?

If someone is sick of their color touched spines that have a very small amount of color touch I will gladly bid on them if you put them up for auction.

I would trade an unrestored copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 5.0 for a copy in 9.0 with no more restoration than a very small amount of color touch.

So some of you mean to tell me that you will allow Stan Lee to scribble his name in black marker all over a book, but a pinhead size of color touch or someone dotting a the spine with sharpie ruins the whole book for you?

If someone is sick of their color touched spines that have a very small amount of color touch I will gladly bid on them if you put them up for auction.

It just deserves the right label in this case a purple label. It wouldn't ruin the book for me I would just want to pick up the comic for the right price that is all. As long as the comic has a yellow SS label Stan Lee's autograph would not be a deal breaker on Amazing Fantasy 15

I actually have a Batman 9 that is in a universal holder with the notation of very minor amount of color touch on cover as well. I looked with a black light and couldn't see it. I'm guessing its just a small dot or something.

29uzqe0.jpg