• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AKIRA!

26 posts in this topic

Is the comic as incomprehensible as the movie?

No, the problem is that when Otomo directed the movie, he was still unsure about how to end his story.

The comic has a perfectly reasonable ending.

Any comic fan/collector should read Akira.

It's mandatory :sumo:

Fine. Send me a complete set. I'll PM you my address :baiting:

I enjoyed it.

One Sunday around 10-12 years ago I was having a lazy coffee and reading day and had the first 10 issues out ready for reading. I was sitting reading issue 1 when my wife accidently tipped a full cup of coffee down over issues 2-10 :facepalm: thank god I wasn't reading the last few isses. What was even worse was there was a box of highend vintage sportscards I was sorting getting ready for ebay which also took some coffee. Its surprising how much coffee is in 1 darn cup when tipped over. OH well I am still happily married to her but it is still a funny story and taught her to respect and not touch my comics and cards lol.

Not as bad as when I got a mint in box Hypnos (a Mattel toy, villain of pulsar) directly from a sale Mattel had. The next day, I could not find the box insert that came with the figure. I had him out of the box to take pictures, and everything was there, but the insert. Well, the wife went on a cleaning kick, and threw the insert into the recycle bin because "it's only cardboard!" That has become one of our epic stories that I still joke about. (the insert was ok).

Is the comic as incomprehensible as the movie?
I've read three issues since posting this. It's much more comprehensible than the movie so far, but I haven't gotten to the trippy stuff yet. The only real problem is the action scenes where I get completely disoriented like I do in all manga for some reason.

I may be wrong, but I thought I saw one of the Akira issue as a blank white cover

36025-4041-40233-1-akira_super.jpg

Gonna try to use this for a sketch

This is the expensive issue. I got mine for $80 shipped, but they sell in the $120 range regularly.

Saw one at Comikaze last weekend. Didn't know this would cost that much.

Akira is a bout a post apocaliptic future. The action is set in Neo Tokyo years after WW3, the main character is Kaneda, a young delinquent who is the boss of a band of bikers. In some way, he enter in contact with the governement and the misterious Project Akira....

I'll say no more, read it, you will not be disappointed.

And man, the art.....what about Otomo art? Every single panel is a masterpiece.

Can anybody post the doulbe page splash at the end of issue 38?

LAst issue is valuable because of the low print run. Publishing was stopped around issue 33-34 and the last three-four issues took years to see the light.

Excuse the newb question but what is AKIRA about and why is it so good? I've also noticed talk about the last issues being harder to find than the earlier books....Why is that?

Thanks (thumbs u

I've probably seen the cartoon five times and I still don't know what it's about lol