• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's bidding on this??

54 posts in this topic

Been on eBay since 2004 with only 29 fb, but ... seems to have successfully sold some high price Magic cards. I would hazard a guess that the auction is legit. I'll hazard another guess that last minute bidding will push it to $8,000 with some brave souls taking a flyer.

Something does not look right about that cover. I'm not sure what it is, but it looks a little too nice.

+1

There's something about the cover that just isn't right and it isn't that the color pops. I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something that just doesn't look right hm

is that a tape pull on the back cover?

Sure looks like it.

I like how the guy states that he doesn't "have time" to get it graded. Yeah, okay, GPA has this book in 8.0 at 11.5k, 8.5 at 15.5 and 9.0 at 23k and change. I assume that when he says "don't have time" he really means "I'm willing to tank at least three large, minus fees because I've inflated the out of the book's grade, as with that tape pull it's a F/VF at best, assuming no undisclosed resto."

Considering this book in 7.0 is around 53 hundred bucks, I guess the guy did pretty good selling that snake oil

Sure looks like it.

I like how the guy states that he doesn't "have time" to get it graded. Yeah, okay, GPA has this book in 8.0 at 11.5k, 8.5 at 15.5 and 9.0 at 23k and change. I assume that when he says "don't have time" he really means "I'm willing to tank at least three large, minus fees because I've inflated the out of the book's grade, as with that tape pull it's a F/VF at best, assuming no undisclosed resto."

Considering this book in 7.0 is around 53 hundred bucks, I guess the guy did pretty good selling that snake oil

i re-read the description; he claims it's something that faded the ink and not a tape pull. i wish the buyer the best, $7k is quite a dice roll for a 29 feedback seller who's other listed items are moderns.

Sure looks like it.

Some people just don't. A couple of months ago, I bought that Batman 47. In looked beautiful from the auction and I thought it could press out to a decent grade. I picked it up, even though the buyer said he would not waste the time in getting it graded. People steered clear of the other raw book listings because they suspected something was funny.

Well something was, he had never sold comic books before as he found them in a house he was cleaning out and shipped a copy of Batman 47 in an envelope with a piece of cardboard on each side. The envelope was handled roughly. Joey pressed it out for me.

The book was graded at a 6.0 Blue label. I paid significantly less than what a 6.0 Blue label Batman 47 goes for even with the pressing and grading. It is a personal grail that I wanted over the years. I cannot wait to get it.

Point is... there is stuff out there that is indeed ungraded and those that want it are nervous about sending their books away to get encapsulated.

It all comes down to whether or not people are willing to take the risk.

Sure looks like it.

Some people just don't. A couple of months ago, I bought that Batman 47. In looked beautiful from the auction and I thought it could press out to a decent grade. I picked it up, even though the buyer said he would not waste the time in getting it graded. People steered clear of the other raw book listings because they suspected something was funny.

Well something was, he had never sold comic books before as he found them in a house he was cleaning out and shipped a copy of Batman 47 in an envelope with a piece of cardboard on each side. The envelope was handled roughly. Joey pressed it out for me.

The book was graded at a 6.0 Blue label. I paid significantly less than what a 6.0 Blue label Batman 47 goes for even with the pressing and grading. It is a personal grail that I wanted over the years. I cannot wait to get it.

Point is... there is stuff out there that is indeed ungraded and those that want it are nervous about sending their books away to get encapsulated.

It all comes down to whether or not people are willing to take the risk.

I can understand being willing to take a risk but looking at the pics for this auction there's just no way. The edges on that book don't look right, the paper stock of the cover doesn't look right, it looks like the cover doesn't fit the book quite right and with the weird spot on the back there's no way I'd ever consider laying out $7K for it and I can't believe someone did.

I'm still inclined to think its legit and the person is selling off some of his Magic cards and comics to raise some dough. Even if the auction is legit, at best, bidders shouldn't have assumed a grade above 7.0, given the incomplete description and poor photos. The relatively low fb winner is probably hoping for 9.0 -- the stated grade -- or at least 8.0. At 8.0, he got a bargain. In a couple of weeks we may be able to tell from fb left.

Looking at gpa, 8.0 is the number it would have to hit to be worth it. Even a 7.5 isnt going to cut it after a walkthru grading fee. Thats a BIG risk man!

Even if the book is legit, i dont know that its going to hit 8.0. The bottom of the spine is a REAL soft corner from the pics and that sure as hell looks like a tape pull on the back to me. Surfer just bought a JIM on here that looked as nice as that or nicer with a back cover tape pull that graded 7.5. Between that and god knows what else could be wrong even if it IS a legit book, thats a VERY risky 7k investment! :o