• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daily Grade: Daredevil #27

20 posts in this topic

7.5 only because it's a fairly common book. Nothing major wrong (i.e. corner creases, tearing, etc.) but the spine stress shows up pretty heavy (especially at the bottom).

sf,

what's commonality have to do with a grade? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif (I don't necessarily disagree with your other points hi.gif)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7.5 only because it's a fairly common book. Nothing major wrong (i.e. corner creases, tearing, etc.) but the spine stress shows up pretty heavy (especially at the bottom).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sf,

what's commonality have to do with a grade? (I don't necessarily disagree with your other points )

It shouldn't.

That said, it's in our human nature to compare one thing to another. Say a book is submitted once a week. A grader looks at the book and thinks it's an 8.0. But they also remember that they graded the same book last week that seemed to be a little nicer and they gave that one an 8.0. So they then give this one a 7.5.

On the other hand if they only saw this book once a year, they probably wouldn't remember what grade they gave it, let alone what it looked like, so 8.0 seems like the correct grade.

I know my brain works this way.

sf,

what's commonality have to do with a grade? (I don't necessarily disagree with your other points )

It shouldn't.

That said, it's in our human nature to compare one thing to another. Say a book is submitted once a week. A grader looks at the book and thinks it's an 8.0. But they also remember that they graded the same book last week that seemed to be a little nicer and they gave that one an 8.0. So they then give this one a 7.5.

On the other hand if they only saw this book once a year, they probably wouldn't remember what grade they gave it, let alone what it looked like, so 8.0 seems like the correct grade.

I know my brain works this way.

Mine too, except when I look at more than 50 in a day! insane.gif But unless I am grading 2 or more DD 27's at the same time, I try to start with a clean slate on every book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I never send multiple copies of the same issue for CGC submissions - you're negotiating against yourself. 27_laughing.gif

7.0/7.5 Range

Niko,

I'll take the 7.5 - usually the yellow covers don't display the spine creases as "well" as this one does for some reason . . . foreheadslap.gifhi.gif

7.5 too many stress lines and lower spine/upper LC wear for an 8?

Bill

RS,

I totally agree, but I'd be inclined to list it as an 8.0. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif For what it's worth - it is structurally superior to most 7.5's, and the corners are good.

Many collectors cut off acceptable at 8.0, thus eschewing solid books like this. sumo.gif

What's above "comes" - is that red print left over?

Is there a spine split at the bottom?

No idea, almost looks like a shadow of "COMES" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No spine split. hi.gif

7.5/8.0

I don't mind the date stamp.

For Gold and Silver, I think they add something to the history of the book.

893applaud-thumb.gif