• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DREDD on Blu-Ray. (PAGE 17)

Will you see DREDD 3-D this weekend?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will you see DREDD 3-D this weekend?

314 posts in this topic

I still haven't seen Dark Knight.

Me either and I don't think I will see this movie in the theater. It looks like the guy who is playing Dredd is trying to do a Stallone.

Yes, in exactly the same way that Christian Bale was trying to do a George Clooney.

I still haven't seen Dark Knight.

Me either and I don't think I will see this movie in the theater. It looks like the guy who is playing Dredd is trying to do a Stallone.

:taptaptap:Please explain.

I might go see it.... my world is filled with young kids and a stressed out wife at the moment. Dont know if I will be able to get away to see it? (shrug)

Whats Rottentomatoes giving it at the moment? hm

Started out something crazy like 100% with around 28 reviews - of course it's now down to 77% with 73 reviews. Still a lot higher then I thought a movie like this would get - can't wait to see it this weekend.

I might go see it.... my world is filled with young kids and a stressed out wife at the moment. Dont know if I will be able to get away to see it? (shrug)

Started out something crazy like 100% with around 28 reviews - of course it's now down to 77% with 73 reviews. Still a lot higher then I thought a movie like this would get - can't wait to see it this weekend.

I figure it's the US reviews diluting it. Probably a little more popular with us Brits. As you say, still amazingly positive for an R rated comic adaptation which we all expected to be little better than the last 'effort'.

I figure it's the US reviews diluting it. Probably a little more popular with us Brits. As you say, still amazingly positive for an R rated comic adaptation which we all expected to be little better than the last 'effort'.

I haven't seen much advertising for the movie, and it kinda came out of nowhere for me. I am pleasently surprised with the reviews and look forward to seeing it now.

Just got back from seeing the movie. Its was okay. I went in with no expectations. Not much in the way of character development if any at all. Basically, if you want to see a shoot 'em up movie with people getting shot all over the place this movie is for you. As I said its okay, not a great movie, but not terrible. Slow mo was over used, but I understand why it was used in some parts others ehh. If they do make another I would like to see more background development and more complex plot storyline. There were no surprises, plot twists, etc. just shooting. I left not caring what happen to the characters. I give it 2 1/2 stars out of 5.

I don't know if its any indication but the theater I went to had 19 people in it for the screening of course it was a matinee.

Just got back from seeing the movie. Its was okay. I went in with no expectations. Not much in the way of character development if any at all. Basically, if you want to see a shoot 'em up movie with people getting shot all over the place this movie is for you. As I said its okay, not a great movie, but not terrible. Slow mo was over used, but I understand why it was used in some parts others ehh. If they do make another I would like to see more background development and more complex plot storyline. There were no surprises, plot twists, etc. just shooting. I left not caring what happen to the characters. I give it 2 1/2 stars out of 5.

I don't know if its any indication but the theater I went to had 19 people in it for the screening of course it was a matinee.

I hear ya, but JD himself simply couldn't develop as a character. To do so would be completely out of character. He's fully formed.

Anderson had an arc. Understated, which I like, but she definitely 'developed'.

I think what I like about it is that it's just another story from Dredd's life. There's always this temptation with movie adaptations to do the origin, introduce the arch nemesis, and kill him off, all within 2 hours. These comic characters have decades of plot! Such a travesty to condense them into a few hours.

In short, I see the 'lack of character development' as a major plus point in this movie.

I see your point. I felt the characters etc were two dimensional. The city itself while it explained to population overall and per city block seemed two dimensional as well. The day in the life of Dredd is exactly what this movie is. Overall it just seemed a little too simple. Don't get me wrong I will buy it when it comes out on Blu-ray and watch it again. I just wanted and expected more.

Tailored to the interests of fans, then, which is a welcome change. I mean in the sense that it is 'a day in the life', as you aptly put it.

I understand Garland wants to do a 2nd film covering some of Dredd and Mega City 1's origins, and a 3rd film with 'the arch villain' (dark judges). Sounds good to me, but I'd also be just as happy with more 'days in the life'.

EDIT: I just remembered. There was just a tiny moment when we were maybe going to get some human detail of Dredd's character. When Anderson first appears and probes his mind from the other room. She describes him in basics and starts to say "...there's something else.." before getting cut off. I wonder what they were hinting at, and if it's something for a sequel to return to?

Dredd is an awesome movie :grin:

Karl Urban was great as Dredd.

Dredd doesn't need a character arc (That's not his style)

I was really surprised with Olivia Thirbry as Judge Anderson.

She had a nice character development as the movie when on.

There are some easter eggs in the film if you look closely :)

I love the chemistry between Dredd & Anderson (the one-liners were clever lol )

The Slo-Mo scenes were great & surreal (It looks even better with 3D)

I do recommend seeing it in 3D.

The one thing I didn't like is that they use swear words like f*** and s***.

I prefer the future swear words in the comic books.

Overall I give it 4 out of 5 (thumbs u

Something my sister forgot to mention.

Lena Headey is incredibly believable as a grade a+++ psycho b#t#h!

:eek:

Seriously, she makes Heath Ledgers performance as the Joker look tame.

I mean if I had to choose between staying in a cell overnight with either the Joker or Ma-Ma I'd take the Joker.