• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artists who get better with age?

50 posts in this topic

Some place such high standards on themselves that they refuse to compromise and take shortcuts until their health goes out or something of that nature.

Jack Kirby cocreated the Marvel Universe more than two decades after his first professional work. Around mid 60s (25 years later) imho he reached the peak in his art. He also created the Fourth World after three decades.

I suppose that he fits in the last case...

Some place such high standards on themselves that they refuse to compromise and take shortcuts until their health goes out or something of that nature.

Jack Kirby cocreated the Marvel Universe more than two decades after his first professional work. Around mid 60s (25 years later) imho he reached the peak in his art. He also created the Fourth World after three decades.

I suppose that he fits in the last case...

I see Kirby as an exceptional layout artists and story plotter, but not so much on the finesse aspect. I think Kirby was past his prime as an artist long before Marvel. His layouts and plotting were exceptional until the end. Kirby had skilled inkers embellishing his work up until the early 70's at Marvel. People who like his 60's work, but don't like his 70's work are seeing an art more true to his actual pencils in the 70's.

DG

After three decades of work. And health issues were key in his decline, specially in the 80s. How many artists reach their peak after 25 years of career?

I'm not knocking him, the guy rocks! I just wouldn't classify him as an artist who only got better as the years went by.

I'd have to say George Perez.

Would you consider his current work better or on par with CRISIS

or TEEN TITANS ?

Don't get me wrong - GP is still miles better than most of the younger artists,

but he set a pretty high bar - even for himself.

My favorite recent GP piece is the BATMAN commission he did for Aric Shapiro -

that one in particular was probably his best Batman piece ever.

...but his bronze age stuff from the 70's wasn't as strong to many fans... but maybe it was the Royer and Colletta Inks as opposed to Sinnott and Ayers...

Jack Kirby, of course. The GA stuff is good enough to make him an immortal, but his wheelhouse silver age art is why he's The King.

I'd disagree on George Perez's convention sketches and commissions. He used to take a long time to turn out masterpieces, but it seems now the stuff he does is a bit lackluster in comparison...

As for his published work, I don't think it's better with age, his 80's and 90's stuff was better than his 70's work, but his Y2K to present isn't better than his prime stuff, in my opinion at least... So, I see a bell curve where his pinnacle has already peaked and right now there's a bit of a decline from his top form.

I'd have to say George Perez.

Would you consider his current work better or on par with CRISIS

or TEEN TITANS ?

Don't get me wrong - GP is still miles better than most of the younger artists,

but he set a pretty high bar - even for himself.

My favorite recent GP piece is the BATMAN commission he did for Aric Shapiro -

that one in particular was probably his best Batman piece ever.

If we're discussing artists who are improving and producing better work currently from their past style that's not yet declined, and seems to turn out better work than before, I'd say:

Philip Tan

Ale Garza

Ed Benes

Mike DeBalfo

Josh Howard

Sean Chen

David Finch

Aaron Lopresti