• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA I Love That Has Absolutely NO Investment Potential

63 posts in this topic

This is a fun thread, great idea!

I get art from books I enjoyed reading, so there are certainly some that are not mainstream. At first I was going to say my Alan Moore Supreme collection, but even that might not quality (it's still by Alan Moore!)

So I submit 2 more obscure works

Dinosaurs for Hire - Original series

So for those that don't know Dinosaurs for Hire, its basically Alien Dinosaurs who come to earth, and guns, booze and babes are involved. I also thought it was HILARIOUS! So was happy to snag a few pages.

Dan Vado's Griffin

I'm sure even less people have read the Griffin. But it was a sci-fi action series that was a fun read. Go give it a try. I don't think it stood the test of time but it was fun.

Malvin

Wow thats a blast from the past, Malvin. I remember both Dinosaurs and Griffin well. Along with titles like The Trouble with Girls. Maybe I should be on the look out for some Boris the Bear art. :blush:

My prized Darkhawk page! I could probably get back for it what I paid and maybe a little more with the right buyer but that was never what this piece about. Darkhawk 1 was one of the first comics in my hand and I kept up with the series (buying back issues at 4-5 bucks a pop) until I bailed on comics around this very issue. I always loved the character and this was the perfect page for me. DH flying, changing back to Chris and going through some good old teen angst.

Darkhawk33p8.jpg

Yeah, as much as I enjoy commissions , there's not much hope of a return on them. Unpublished/rejected art is in a similar category, I think.

My three issues of unpublished Marvel MICRONAUTS by Cary Nord would certainly fall into this catagory as well, I think. You'd all laugh incredulously if you found out how much I paid for the lot. Nord art might be a bit scarce but it doesn't excuse that, and I'd probably have to slash the asking price by about 75% if I seriously expected to sell it.

Which I don't care one whit about. I'm still tickled to have the whole thing together. I was probably the only person on the planet that Nord might have found to pay that price to keep the art together, lucky for him I found him instead.

Andrew

Great idea for a thread!

I got this piece. It is a scene from the Gears of War video game done by Joel Gomez. He tried to get the job penciling Gears of War comic and this was the piece he submitted. It is just great and the publishers thought highly enough to give him some penciling duties and included this in the Sourcebook. He wasn't the regular penciler but I love this piece nonetheless.

130512.jpg.e46b425d66049e2a435c27f8d6416969.jpg

Here are two pieces that I love but have a very limited audience. First is the original art for Daves II Comics & Collectibles by Glenn Barr. Growing up in Ann Arbor Michigan I would goto The Eye of Agamotto on State Street (which later closed down in the 80s). About that time Dave's Comics started up, I had moved to California by then but whenever I visited Ann Arbor I would check out Daves II Comics & Collectibles, William & State street (upstairs). Great to own the art from a comic shop I used to frequent.

daves_II_ad.jpg

The other is a guilty pleasure of mine, FemForce, a cheesecake super-heroine team which I read in the 80s. Mark Heike who I feel is a very overlooked inker. He worked with Bill Black the publisher and penculer of many of the covers. The first time I saw Mark's art was with Femforce #7. A few years ago I was able to acquire the cover. FemForce is still being published (amazing for an independent publisher) but they don't have a big following.

Femforce7_cvr.jpg

TheEye.jpg

TheEye2.jpg

Great thread!

I collect and own a decent amount of OA by Rich Koslowski. I own a bunch of his comic and grapic novel covers, splashes, and pages from: 3 Geeks, The List, BB Wolf and the 3 LP's, The King, & Three Fingers.

I just love his work! Some of the best Graphic Novels I have ever read! I proudly frame and hang many of his pieces in my home.

If you haven's read his stuff, I suggest you start with Three Fingers.....

OA I love with no investment potential?

Just collect the art you love and don't worry about the investment potential. (shrug)

That's always been my rule-of-thumb when buying art.

I buy to please myself, not to impress others (and if others do happen to like what you collect, that's an added bonus).

Too many stocks-and-shares type of 'collectors' in this so-called hobby nowadays that's proving oh-so-boring to me:

:blahblah: equals zzz

We need more passion for the OA we collect, and less passion for the $s aspect. . .

Just my 2c

OA I love with no investment potential?

Just collect the art you love and don't worry about the investment potential. (shrug)

That's always been my rule-of-thumb when buying art.

I buy to please myself, not to impress others (and if others do happen to like what you collect, that's an added bonus).

Too many stocks-and-shares type of 'collectors' in this so-called hobby nowadays that's proving oh-so-boring to me:

:blahblah: equals zzz

We need more passion for the OA we collect, and less passion for the $s aspect. . .

Just my 2c

Well said. If I auctioned off the majority of my collection today, I would be lucky to recoup half of my purchase prices. And I knew this going in.

I collect original art solely because I enjoy it. I currently have 18 pieces plus 7 sketches. I have not bought or asked for a piece because of investment potential. I collect for me and art i like. I have a list of art, artist and characters I would like to own and have been fortunate to already own some of those pieces. I will likely never sell the art I own, instead I will pass it on to my son and grandsons or another relative that might would enjoy it.

My comic art fans gallery for those interested.

Comic art fans

Exhibit A: original art Godzilla unpublished page by Georges Jeanty will probably never be worth more than I paid for it and I am ok with that because I enjoy it. It will soon be proudly displayed in my comic room.

image_zps9c4a85e0.jpg

I started collecting art for Spidey Super Stories pages

Investment potential? Imdont think so...but always enjoyable to have

wmsss40c3.jpg

Could be.Investment potential for you if you have more and sell me yours...but at auction :sick: I don't think these would fly too well

I just liked the art on this one by Drew Edward Johnson and Ray Snyder. Kickstarter funded, The Hero Code #1 cover. Don't think there will be a #2.

SKMBT_C45413072507590_0001.jpg

There may be a market for this amongst fans of the show, but it brings a smile to my face and I love the Dalmatian, by Joelle Jones:

IMG_0580.JPG

This is a fun one! Ant-Man original art from Marvel's Bullpen Bulletins page from December 1991 by Darren Auck.

DABBAM.JPG