• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA I Love That Has Absolutely NO Investment Potential

63 posts in this topic

I think I got so busy last year, I forgot to post my favorite peice from something obscure....

Basically to promote a collectable board game I used to play they made a comic (the game is kind of like Warhammer 40k with less painting and effort to setup) called Heroscape.

Tons of great times playing it with my buddies, and now I have one of the covers...

Heroscape_3_Cover.jpg

I also doubt that any of the OA in my collection holds any real investment value and I don't mind a single bit.

A few of my personal favorites:

I've reached out to artist Bill Black a while ago and he could not tell me if this piece was ever published. I'm thinking it is not as I have not found it yet and I've been looking for a few years now. 11x14

Tara%20on%20the%20Dark%20Continent%20presents...%20Cave%20Girl%20-%20Bill%20Black.jpg

Herb Trimpe commission 11x17

Hulk%20-%20Herb%20Trimpe%20-%2011x17.JPG

Alex Lei pin up (not published) 11x17

Serafina,%20Lady%20Mastermind,%20Aguja%20-%20Alex%20Lei%20-%2011x17.JPG

It would take me pages and pages to post the art I love with no investment potential. Let's just say it is about 80% of my collection. Can you say Unpublished Power Company cover?

Same here. 80-99% of my collection is practically unsellable for a profit (or at all).

I just got back from the post office where i picked up MEDDLE , a 9 page story from Jeremy Baum. Never heard of him? That's o.k., I'll still collect his art :acclaim:

I have about a dozen similar pages of this story arc and on average they cost less than $100. Investment potential? Who knows but I don't care because to me they are some of the best comic/OA buys I have ever made. :cloud9:

stormbreaker2_12.jpg

I think was one of three people that enjoyed that mini-series.

Art was pretty spiffy too.

Yeah it was a great arc that didn't seem to get much attention. Didn't care for the last issue and the token "Spider-Man appearance to sell more copies" that made no sense but it sure was action packed. wasn't totally sold on Beta Ray Bill as a character but this arc made me a believer.

there are a bunch of oa i'd love to get that shouldn't cost much but surprises me that it does. loads of copper indy art i'd love to get, like mr monster, troll lords, any aircel, elementals etc etc these amaze me that there is a market. my grails would be beetlejuice pages but they seem to be touching 250 usually

Alright, I'm going to start posting some of these. This first one is the UNPUBLISHED painting to Power Company by Kurt Busiek. I used to love all things Kurt Busiek and so liked this series. The curious thing about this piece (by the guy who painted beautiful Starman covers) is that although it was used to advertise the series in Previews, they ended up using the same layout, but a pen and ink version drawn by Tom Grummet. I'm not sure there is investment potential even in the cover that was published, let alone the unpublished painting.

THE_POWER_COMPANY_1.jpg

Although Matt Kindt's Red Handed, might be one of the best graphic novels I have ever read, it's still not widely read and even if it were, the in demand pages would likely be the one's with actual characters in it... I read the book and loved this page and the message in it. I paid more than I will likely ever get for it, because apparently Matt loved it too.

RedHandedp75.jpg

I think the following pieces are some truly great examples by those

respectable artists.

Both are published and feature Superman in one of his milestones:

WIZARD #68 cover:

rjnprl.jpg

SUPERMAN #123 costume debut:

11mdugn.jpg

Too bad I'm one of the only five people who really liked Superman Blue.

Or maybe I'm lucky to be one of those five and be able to secure those pieces ?

You be the judges.

I just liked the art on this one by Drew Edward Johnson and Ray Snyder. Kickstarter funded, The Hero Code #1 cover. Don't think there will be a #2.

SKMBT_C45413072507590_0001.jpg

There may be a market for this amongst fans of the show, but it brings a smile to my face and I love the Dalmatian, by Joelle Jones:

IMG_0580.JPG

This is a fun one! Ant-Man original art from Marvel's Bullpen Bulletins page from December 1991 by Darren Auck.

DABBAM.JPG

If you ever get sick of that Community page, let me know! I cracked up when I saw it.