• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest disappointment of a series when you finally read it?

206 posts in this topic

Think of all the highly touted books around here: Watchmen, Killing Joke, Claremont Xmen, etc. When you finally sat down to read one based on their popularity, what was the biggest disappointment?

For me, it was clearly Preacher. I bought a lot of the complete trades and read them over the course of a week I think. It was a chore. By the second or third trade, if memory serves correctly, it felt like I was reading the work of teenagers. The story tries SOOOOOOOOOOO hard to be shocking and I recall the art being pretty mediocre. It had enough of a story to keep me going to the end. But, if I didn't have all the trades, I doubt I would've kept reading.

How about you?

The first Umbrella Academy. I was hearing a lot of good things and people telling me to read it. I read the 6 issues in a day and was pretty ticked off I wasted my time. I thought it was terribly boring and just so random.

Think of all the highly touted books around here: Watchmen, Killing Joke, Claremont Xmen, etc. When you finally sat down to read one based on their popularity, what was the biggest disappointment?

For me, it was clearly Preacher. I bought a lot of the complete trades and read them over the course of a week I think. It was a chore. By the second or third trade, if memory serves correctly, it felt like I was reading the work of teenagers. The story tries SOOOOOOOOOOO hard to be shocking and I recall the art being pretty mediocre. It had enough of a story to keep me going to the end. But, if I didn't have all the trades, I doubt I would've kept reading.

How about you?

This.

:jokealert:

For reasons that I cannot remember now, I never read Watchmen when it first came out. I finally read it many years later. I didn't think it was all that great.

Yup. I'm on board with this. Read it a few years ago for the first time. Didn't captivate me the way DKR and Kingdom Come did.

For reasons that I cannot remember now, I never read Watchmen when it first came out. I finally read it many years later. I didn't think it was all that great.

+1000

Yup. I'm on board with this. Read it a few years ago for the first time. Didn't captivate me the way DKR and Kingdom Come did.

Is Kingdom Come worth reading?

Yes yes 1000 times yes

I was really let down with the Thanos Imperative - especially after the reviews it was getting from people. I wanted to like it because it was the first "new" comic series I'd read in almost 15 years.

A Biblical narrative, end of the world, the Spectre, an epic

Captain Marvel vs. Superman battle

written by Waid and Ross and illustrated by Alex Ross?

Hell yeah.

Yes yes 1000 times yes

(thumbs u

How about you?

To each their own, that's too bad you didn't like Preacher. I read, and re-read the Preacher series at least 10 times since the 90's. If you didn't like the first three books, I am surprised you managed to get through the rest, as the first three are really the great arcs of the entire series.

My only complaint was that the conclusion of the Preacher series wasn't as powerful and awesome as I'd hoped. I, on the other hand, really like Steve Dillon's art - it has a very cool Mobius feel to it that I've always appreciated.

The Walking Dead. And I'm a fan of all things zombie. I like the show and I actually enjoy reading the main Walking Dead thread here since I'm interested in the mania and fandom.

How about you?

That's so funny. I picked up some preacher TPBs a few months ago and could not make it past the first few issues. I find Ennis writing to be too fan-boyish.

I hate to say this but Hellblazer. It was something I always wanted to read but I cannot get past the first tpb.

How about you?

To each their own, that's too bad you didn't like Preacher. I read, and re-read the Preacher series at least 10 times since the 90's. If you didn't like the first three books, I am surprised you managed to get through the rest, as the first three are really the great arcs of the entire series.

My only complaint was that the conclusion of the Preacher series wasn't as powerful and awesome as I'd hoped. I, on the other hand, really like Steve Dillon's art - it has a very cool Mobius feel to it that I've always appreciated.

I could be wrong. I do remember liking parts of it, but just being exhausted by it at the end.