• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest disappointment of a series when you finally read it?

206 posts in this topic

That's kind of interesting becuase I don't recall much hype with DKR and SwampMoore were first solicited/released...the hype, I think, came after.

You're right! There was very little hype, but the books did catch many people off guard and broke new ground in what the medium could do.

I'm referring more to people being introduced to these series much after the fact. i.e. 'Hey buddy, here's an amazing series that will blow your socks off etc.'.

You're both high ( no offense ). If you were a reader of comics at the time, nothing was hyped MORE than DKR..Frank Miller even had an interview in Rolling Stone about it at the time. It was huge.

+1

DKR 1 was an immediate buzz book, and on LCS walls a month after release.

2. Marvels

One of my all-time favorites.

Favorite disappointments or favorite series to read?

Favorite series to read. I'm a sucker for Timely history. And to roll all of the Marvel history into a "reality", give it a timeline and reference points and make it work, well that was just cool to me. And the Alex Ross art was a huge bonus. I pursued the double page art at the end of #1 for a few years. Couldn't get it. But I was able to acquire the first full Torch page where his hand is burning, then his arm, then you see all of him. It looks great with no word balloons.

Anything by John Byrne. His FF work brought about the end of my love for that title. Tried reading the X-men. It was okay for a while, then just bored the snot out of me.

:mad:

I hope the Astros lose 150 games next year. :sumo:

That's kind of interesting becuase I don't recall much hype with DKR and SwampMoore were first solicited/released...the hype, I think, came after.

You're right! There was very little hype, but the books did catch many people off guard and broke new ground in what the medium could do.

I'm referring more to people being introduced to these series much after the fact. i.e. 'Hey buddy, here's an amazing series that will blow your socks off etc.'.

You're both high ( no offense ). If you were a reader of comics at the time, nothing was hyped MORE than DKR..Frank Miller even had an interview in Rolling Stone about it at the time. It was huge.

+1

DKR 1 was an immediate buzz book, and on LCS walls a month after release.

+2

I remember seeing it on the silent auction block at my LCS a few months after it came out. I passed over it to bid on a Wolverine Limited Series #1 with my allowance.

It wasn't hyped enough IMO.

Anything by John Byrne. His FF work brought about the end of my love for that title. Tried reading the X-men. It was okay for a while, then just bored the snot out of me.

lol That might be a safe bet.

Oh....and....Byrne sucks!

The hype with the Moore Swamp Thing built up over a bit of time.

I seriously do not remember the hype around DKR, and I don't think others did either, as evidenced by the 2nd, 3rd and 4th printings of issue #1.

Perhaps you are thinking of the over-hyped Green Arrow prestige by Grell? Everyone thought that was going to be another DKR and wasn't.

The biggest hype I remember around that timeframe was Marvel Superheroes Secret Wars. Everything else was secondary on the hype-meter.

Think of all the highly touted books around here: Watchmen, Killing Joke, Claremont Xmen, etc. When you finally sat down to read one based on their popularity, what was the biggest disappointment?

The Boards.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head...just sayin' man (shrug)

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds.

I can't tell when you're trying to be funny, you're always so grumpy lately. :sorry:

The reason I pretty much gave up buying/reading modern comics is due to largely to the Kitty Pryde and Wolverine mini series. Nuff said.

:o

That series was great. I mean, sure it wasn't groundbreaking or written in a dark, foreboding, melancholy style that fits most of the books in this thread - but it was well written in the sense of Kitty Pryde being a teenager, and not only learning how to be less of a whiny brat and more of a warrior - but had some great fight scenes and Logan philosophies. Issue #6 should have come with a limited edition cassette of "Eye of the Tiger".

Good book for teenagers - not adults, and I'll venture a guess that it was purposely written to target that audience.

Why wouldn't it be targeted towards teens? That's when comics were mostly written for kids.

I was saying it was targeted towards teens, and was eluding to that it was a different style of writing than the adult-targeting books of the time that we are discussing in this thread - which is why an adult may not like the story, but a teenager would. I read it as a teenager and thought it was great. I read it as an adult and laughed at how teen-centric it is. Guess I needed to spell that out a bit more.

Think of all the highly touted books around here: Watchmen, Killing Joke, Claremont Xmen, etc. When you finally sat down to read one based on their popularity, what was the biggest disappointment?

The Boards.

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds.

I can't tell when you're trying to be funny, you're always so grumpy lately. :sorry:

He's saying you're slow.

:baiting:

lol That might be a safe bet.

Oh....and....Byrne sucks!

That hurts my soul...but I still think you're awesome.

It wasn't hyped enough IMO.

True...Miller could've done the Carson / Letterman circuit.

The Boards.

527232_10151385552983098_632755266_n.jpg527232_10151385552983098_632755266_n.jpg

.................Dr. Watson funny.......................................Dr. Watson grumpy.............

I also have a couple of books.

Iron Man 2.0

The last run of hulk(it started good and it's Second half sucked)

The FF run

The last couple of events marvel has been doing there's no continuity or have 4 different events happening at the same time. Biggest problem I have is having 1 of them ending and the other starting and both don't have any continuity.

The Boards.

He's saying you're slow.

:baiting:

Can you dumb it down a shade? hm

The reason I pretty much gave up buying/reading modern comics is due to largely to the Kitty Pryde and Wolverine mini series. Nuff said.

:o

That series was great. I mean, sure it wasn't groundbreaking or written in a dark, foreboding, melancholy style that fits most of the books in this thread - but it was well written in the sense of Kitty Pryde being a teenager, and not only learning how to be less of a whiny brat and more of a warrior - but had some great fight scenes and Logan philosophies. Issue #6 should have come with a limited edition cassette of "Eye of the Tiger".

Good book for teenagers - not adults, and I'll venture a guess that it was purposely written to target that audience.

One sure way to insure mediocrity on a comic book is have Al Milgrom draw it.

2. Marvels

One of my all-time favorites.

Favorite disappointments or favorite series to read?

Favorite series to read. I'm a sucker for Timely history. And to roll all of the Marvel history into a "reality", give it a timeline and reference points and make it work, well that was just cool to me. And the Alex Ross art was a huge bonus. I pursued the double page art at the end of #1 for a few years. Couldn't get it. But I was able to acquire the first full Torch page where his hand is burning, then his arm, then you see all of him. It looks great with no word balloons.

Now this I do have complete. Time to crack open the books and see if it impacts me the same way.

But I do agree, Alex Ross is amazing. One of the reasons I can never pass up on a sharp copy of Terminator: The Burning Earth #1.

What is the general opinion of the NEW 52?

I've read about a dozen of the trades that have been released.

OMAC and Frankenstein are tops for me.

Action Comics was my least favored title.

Most are rubbish.